Announcing the arrival of Daniel and John!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by AmyH, Dec 13, 2009.

1. AmyH

AmyH Well-Known Member

Looks like everyone is having babies as of late! Congratulations to all of the other mama's who have delivered!!

On Dec. 3rd (36weeks and 5 days) I had my regular OB appt and was 3cm and 80%. My OB said as soon as contractions got regular to come to the hospital and she wouldn't send me home without babies! She also mentioned as she was leaving the room, I'm at the hospital tonight so if something happens just come in, no need to call first..

I had been having contractions for the last week or so, off and on.. I was miserable.. (as is everyone at the end, right?!) so after taking a nap with my 2 year old we decided to go for a walk.. I hadn't done much walking towards the end because by the end of the night I'd be in a lot of pain.. So we walked to Starbucks, which is over a mile from our house, with a lot of hills on the way.. We got hot chocolates and sat outside to have a snack.. Contractions started, rather painful and fairly close, after sitting there for half an hour they were getting worse.. (more painful not necessarily closer) So we decided to start walking backing, and once I started walking they started coming more frequently... UGH I had a long walk ahead of me... then DH called and said he was on his way home from work so as he passed us by on the road he stopped and picked us up.. It was 5:30pm.. We got home contractions were painful, and coming every 5 to 10 minutes... At 8:30pm when they hadn't let up we called a babysitter, who lives about 45 minutes away.. She got here at 9:45, and we left for the hospital shortly after, with contractions every 3 minutes... We arrived at the hospital at 10:15pm and when they checked me at 10:30 I was 4cm. The dr. came in and broke Baby A's water and checked me again at 10:50 I was 5cm. I rolled to my side and got the epidural, which didn't hurt one bit, the most painful part was hunching over while I was having contractions... After about 5 or 10 minutes of trying to get me to move (I didn't want to cuz it hurt so bad) the dr. told me I had to hurry up and get the epidural or we wouldn't have time to get it.. So in goes epidural.. A few minutes later after it kicked in the dr checked me again and I was 10cm and ready to push... everyone hustled around the room frantically getting ready and at 11:20 I started pushing.. At 11:31pm Baby A, Daniel James was born 5lb 14oz and 18 1/2 inches long.. They laid him on my tummy for a quick second while she broke Baby B's water... Then it was time to push again.. at 11:34 pm Baby be was born, John Steven 5lb 14 oz and 18 1/2 inches long! The dr's all were so surprised that their height, weight and head circumference was all the exact same!

In the hospital they made me supplement with formula, which i was completely against.. I argued with the nurses all night the first night about it.. Then with the Ped's the next morning.. Because they were 2 days shy of 37 weeks they said it was policy and then several people kept saying "You have twins, you won't be able to make enough milk for them anyway"... :grr:

The second night in the hospital I was alone with the babies, so DH could stay home with our 2 year old, who wasn't allowed to come see us in the hospital... And they took the babies for a bath and their hearing tests, I asked them to bring them back in an hour for a feeding, or to call and I'd come to the nursery to nurse them... I fell asleep hard, (this was the first time I'd actually slept since they'd been born 24 hours before).. and I woke up 3 hours later when they brought the babies in and they said "Oh we just fed them formula in the nursery.." After that the babies didn't leave the room without me.. and we left the hospital as soon as possible the next morning...

My milk came in sunday evening, so 3 days after birth, and I'm now needing to pump because I'm making so much milk the boys can't empty my boobs... :rofl:

Our pediatrician is a huge BF supporter so I was so happy to go see him on Tuesday and get his support.. Both boys were 3 oz shy of their birth weight when they were 5 days old!

I can easliy say I barely remember how much pain I was in the last 2 weeks of my pregnancy.. So those of you towards the end, and those just starting.. Remember, the aches and pains and frustrations you feel now will soon be forgotten when you are holding your little angels!!

Off to nurse and pump!

15 hours old!

First night home

2. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

CONGRATS! They are precious!

I've still got a ways to go, but am getting so excited seeing everyone's recent announcements!

Good job, Mommy!

3. JShardy

JShardy Active Member

Congratulations!!!! Thanks for sharing your story. I don't understand how the hospital can totally go against the desires of the parents, policy or not. That's something that I will keep in mind as I plan to BF my girls, too. Your boys are beautiful. Congrats to you and your family!!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

4. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Congrats!

5. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

:babyflips: Congratulations!!! :babyflips:

They are so handsom! Welcome to the first year

6. teamturner

teamturner Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! And I love the photos!

7. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!!!

8. Brizzy_Twins

Brizzy_Twins Well-Known Member

They are so gorgeous :) Congrats Mama. :wub:

9. smiley7

smiley7 Well-Known Member

:drinks: Congrats!! Your boys are absolutely beautiful :banana: . I just showed DH and we both got so excited to meet our own bundles (a few weeks yet, i'm 33 weeks pregnant this week). Sorry to hear that the nurses were so non-chalant with your wishes... thank goodness you are home and doing what you need to do for yourself and your boys!!

Are your little guys laying in a moses basket?? It looks very comfy, where can I get one??

10. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:Clap: Congratulations! I love that pic of their first night at home. :wub:

11. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Such sweet boys! :wub: :wub: Congratulations!!

12. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations Momma :yahoo: Your boys are absolutely adorable :wub:

13. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

YAY!!!CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! :birthday: SWEET BOYS!!!!

they are so adorable!

14. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Congrats!! :Clap:

They are precious! :wub:

15. acjb2004

acjb2004 Well-Known Member

Congrats!!

16. watersurfers

watersurfers Well-Known Member

You go girl! Awesome pictures, I love the second one! I love twin hugs, smiles and hand holding! Yay! Congrats to you!

17. Goose

Goose Member

Congrats. What beautiful looking babies. I too am a little over 33 weeks and can't wait to hold my girls. I am trying to make it past New Years. Enjoy every moment.

18. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

What a great story! I'm so impressed that you walked a mile to starbucks! I can barely walk up my own stairs and I'm only 32 weeks! I'm shocked at the hospital not being more supportive about the nursing thing. That's really upsetting. Congrats on your healthy new additions!

19. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

Ohhhh, they are so beautiful!!! Congratulations!! :yahoo:

20. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

Congratulations! They are beautiful :wub:.

21. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! :yahoo:

22. HollyP

HollyP Well-Known Member

Congrats! December 3 is a great date (my b-day too) LOL! And as someone who might be delivering at 36w5d too next Monday - your story gave me some great feelings about their health. Thanks for sharing, and enjoy those babies!!