"Annoying and Weird"

Discussion in 'General' started by Dielle, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

http://catholicexchange.com/why-are-homeschooled-kids-so-annoying/

2. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Ha, I saw this thought the GHF yesterday. How is your year going?

3. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

It's going well. My "weird and annoying" oldest 2 are getting ready to be in a production of Much Ado About Nothing with my DDs homeschoolers Shakespeare class. Sage is also teaching piano to Sydney and Sabrina and looking to take on a couple other students soon. Trey earned 1st class Scout and is working on Star on the way to Eagle. Adam's excelling at everything, as usual. Sydney and Sabrina are getting the hang of reading and loving math and music.

1 person likes this.
  4. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

I LOVED that article. It almost brought tears to my eyes. That sounds so much like my childhood. I was "weird and annoying" and ridiculed a lot. The idea that my kids can grow up without that is so appealing. If they went to school, DD would probably be one of the popular kids. But, DS would be an outcast. He is shy and very focused on "his thing."

5. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

They sound like they are all thriving!!! So you'll have to explain scouts to me. Ben recently joined, but can only go to meetings part time. So he's only been to one meeting since joining. He's almost a year behind his counterparts, so he has some make up work. D can join after his birthday, if he so chooses. I'm not sure he's up for it.

So you must have a large co-op for classes. There is a "classical" school about an hour away, that has high level classes for homeschoolers. But since we have a religious exemption, I'm very reluctant to enrolling them into any outside classes. So we end up doing most online. But, the Shakespeare class sounds fun!

Stacy, I was one of the "ridiculed" also. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. It was terrible....

6. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I went through phases of annoying and weird. Well, not so annoying, more like painfully shy. I wouldn't repeat middle school for anything!

The Shakespeare class is actually called Shakespeare Conquest and it's a course from http://lemimentortraining.com/ which i believe is part of the TJed way of homeschooling. We don't do TJed for homeschooling but the class is great! It's taught by a friend of mine and there are about 12 kids from 12 - 17 yrs old in the class. Sage has also taken a number of the history classes listed on that site from another friend of mine (and Shakespeare twice). Trey will start Shakespeare and Key of Liberty in the fall. It's not a co-op, though. The only co-op I know of near me is a religious one that requires you to sign their statement of faith, so we don't belong.

As for scouting, it helps to have great leaders, a dad who's an Eagle scout and a Grandfather who lives and breathes scouting. We're totally not pushing him, though. He's just totally inspired to do it and has the support to make it happen.