another amnio test Questions

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mooshie, Dec 21, 2006.

1. mooshie

mooshie Well-Known Member

so, at how many weeks do they usually do this test? I never had one with my other pregnancies, but have thought about it this time.

also, I know the chances are not too high, but the fact that this test can cause pre-term labor makes me wonder. does anyone know what percentage of amnio tests actually have caused pre-term labor? I'm not actually worried that this would happen, but I'm curious.

thanks
    Michelle

2. mooshie

mooshie Well-Known Member

so, at how many weeks do they usually do this test? I never had one with my other pregnancies, but have thought about it this time.

also, I know the chances are not too high, but the fact that this test can cause pre-term labor makes me wonder. does anyone know what percentage of amnio tests actually have caused pre-term labor? I'm not actually worried that this would happen, but I'm curious.

thanks
    Michelle

3. ireland37

ireland37 Well-Known Member

I don't know at what stage this is usually done/recommended...I had mine as a direct result of learning that my babies had multiple markers for Down's on my routine 18-week ultrasound.

When I researched the risk of miscarriage in twins the most consistent stat I read was '1/100 chance of pregnancy loss, but risk lowered considerably in the hands of a skilled peri.' Before having mine I ran this by my peri and he agreed. He said he was supposed to inform me of the 1/100 twin stat but since I asked, he never had a pregnancy loss due to amnio in his 15+ years of practice. He then said, 'but I keep telling people, it's gonna happen.'

I went ahead with mine and had no complications. Also got the peace of mind that my boys did not have Down's after all.

Good luck with your decision, it's not easy to make.

4. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

YEAH - they told us 1/100 we elected not to do it

5. Mommy2PJ

Mommy2PJ Well-Known Member

I didn't think they were routine just because of having twins, but I don't know.

I've never been offered one, and I don't think I would have one (personally) because of a chance of downs syndrome or anything. It wouldn't ever change my mind for keeping the pregnancy, so for me, there would be no point in taking the risk of one.

Aside from all of that, 1/100 is also the chance I've heard for miscarriage from an amnio with twins.

6. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

I believe it is 1/100. You are so far along that you wouldn't miscarry though, they'd just deliver the babies. If you do get the amnio test for lung development, it will most likely be sometime between 35-37 weeks and it will be because they would like you to deliver.

7. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

to add to what Ali said...in a normal pregnancy (twin or otherwise) aminos for genetic testing are usually done around 17-20 weeks. For women over 35, it's more commmon, but depending on other genetic factors or abnormal results from an u/s, they may be recommended for younger mom.

An amino for lung development comes into play when babies are being delivered pre-term - although my dr isn't doing one.

I don't know the stats on pre-term labor....but the risks associated with amino have gone down a lot as more people gain experience. I personally consider it a pretty safe procedure, although I know others who don't.

Miriam