Another bed rest mama..

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Vividor, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Vividor

Vividor Member

Hi, everybody! I am so glad I discover this forum! I already read " bed rest success stories" 5-6 times..
    I am on bed rest for 2 weeks already. Seems like a lifetime. I am 20w 1 d preg with twin girls and discover that my cervix is short at 17 weeks. I work as an ultrasound tech in the hospital and I check myself periodically to make sure my girls are ok. I never worried about cervical length since with my son, my first pregnancy, my cervix was normal, I was induced at 39+3 weeks for high blood pressure, and was in labor for 36 hours- my cervix refused to open:)
    I decided to check my cervix at 17 weeks because I felt pressure and plus with twins it's totally different pressure on it from the very beginning. My cervix was 2.8 cm, but my Ob dr told me it's ok and they don't care unless it's 2 cm. So I went back to work, all day on my feet, pushing, lifting etc. A week later I remeasured and it was 2 cm. No funneling. I went to prenatal evaluation center and they basically said nothing can be done and if I go in labor it's too early to do anything, so told me to go back to work. ..I decided to switch Ob dr and was put on modified bed rest since 18 weeks. I spent weekend in bed and went for ultrasound and my cervix lengthened to 3 cm. I am still not sure how in the world it happened.. I am not sure if my cervix is dynamic or bed rest helped??? Anyway, I started progesterone and continue with bed rest. Not a strict one. I get up to the bathroom, shower and get my son ready for day care in the morning. It's hard to bed rest with 2 yo very active toddler at home.. I have occasional mild cramps and braxtons.. Tomorrow is my appointment with my dr. And in two days is my ultrasound. Please, pray for my girls!

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It sounds like the bed rest is helping. Best wishes for a long pregnancy!

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Hang in there.  Best rest is not easy, you are right, but it is worth it.

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Bed rest is sucky but you are doing it! We had the same thing- shortening but modified bed rest helped keep my boys in until 37w5d.

:welcome: to Twinstuf!

5. Vividor

Vividor Member

Thank you, ladies! It is very encouraging!
    I am a little upset that I will use all my fmla time before delivery and I am not sure what's going to happen after, but my only concern now is to cook babies for as long as possible..

6. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Don't know if you have seen this website, but it is a really great resource and support for bed rest mamas.  I know the ladies on bed rest do instant messaging and video chats and there are a lot of stories to read... if you are bored!!!  You have to be a member to take part in the forum, but you can read anything!

http://forum.keepemcookin.com/

I applaud your decision to switch doctors when the other said there was nothing that could be done and to go back to work.  What a bunch of bull!!!  I am happy to hear you have lengthened!!  Congratulations on your twins and prayers for a LONG, healthy pregnancy!

7. Vividor

Vividor Member

Weegus, thank you so much! I registered on this website. There is so much to read!
    I had my dr's appt today and my manual exam my cervix is stable. He felt it is about 2 cm, but the whole length can only be checked by ultrasound. I am not dilated, so I was relieved!

8. Vividor

Vividor Member

My ultrasound showed my cervix is 2.3 cm.. The perinatalogist who saw me after a scan, said that bed rest is bad for me and I shouldn't do this.. I am so confused. It just does not make sense. I am laying down anyway!

9. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

It can be very frustrating to get so much contradictory information. There are studies that show that bed rest is not actually a very effective method of delaying preterm labor, but the experiences of many mamas seem to say otherwise. I'm at work right now and can't search for the articles I've read, but maybe somebody else will have an opportunity to post them for you. If not, I'll return tonight to try.

I would continue doing what you're doing, as it gives you something tangible to do for your babies. Drink LOTS of water every day. Many twins moms on best rest had good success when drinking Boost protein shakes. 

Are you with the original OB or the new one? Are you being seen by a peri? Perhaps you can set an appointment and ask that they block an extra 30 minutes for you so that you can sit and have an in-depth discussion about what research and experience has led the doctor to his treatment plan? That might help you feel more empowered.

And, this is my #1 high-risk advice, STAY OFF GOOGLE. The conflicting information and sad stories can really wear you down. Try to stay in supportive environments.

Big, big hugs. Please keep us posted on things. We're here for you!

10. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I'd be confused why bed rest would be bad. From my knowledge it's pretty common for cervical issues.

And cervical issues aren't the same as pre-term labor. You can have a short/dynamic cervix but not be in pre-term labor.

Good luck, I hope you get your concerns addressed. :hug:

11. Vividor

Vividor Member

ECUBitzy
    Thank you so much for hour reply!
    I did extensive research myself when I just found out about my cervix. All studies mostly included singleton pregnancies. Bed rest, progesterone and cerclage werent proven to bd effective for twins. But as u said, bedrest mamas stories says otherwise. I switched Ob dr. I am seeing the dr who we now for many years as a family friend. He is very good and is willing to do whatever it takes to help me go through the pregnancy. He said bedrest wouldn't hurt, however, there are no studies that show it really works. He is doing it for me to make me feel comfortable. I did progesterone suppositories for 2 weeks, and it didn't lengthened my cervix, so he decided to stop them for now. He said pessary might work if my cervix continues to get shorter. But I still have time for that.
    When I go for my ultrasounds, I see different peri every time. Last peri I saw said no bed rest. But I did not like her- seems like I knew about cervical issues more than she does.

12. Vividor

Vividor Member

Gina_Leigh
    Thank you very much for your wishes! I think I do have dynamic cervix. It was 2.8, then 2, then 3.0, then 2.3... I hope it stays this way. I am mostly laying down. Only get up to the bathroom, shower, eat and feed my son. He likes to lay down with me and watch cartoons:))