Another "is this a hernia" question

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Minette, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Tonight while Amy was having a temper tantrum while naked (don't ask :rolleyes: ), I noticed that her bellybutton sticks out when she screams. (I pointed this out to her and she was so interested that she actually stopped screaming, so that was a plus.)

She actually had surgery for an inguinal hernia at 10 weeks old. The doctor checked at the time to make sure she didn't have an inguinal hernia on the other side, and I think he also checked whether she had an umbilical hernia, but my memories of that age are fuzzy....

Anyway, is this normal?

2. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Catherine still has an umbilical hernia. They told me that as long as it doesn't become "strangulated" it's fine. So if you notice that it gets hard or causes her pain you should take her to the dr. Otherwise I wouldn't be too concerned. HTH :)

3. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(melissao @ Jan 6 2008, 08:12 PM) [snapback]560448[/snapback]
    Catherine still has an umbilical hernia. They told me that as long as it doesn't become "strangulated" it's fine. So if you notice that it gets hard or causes her pain you should take her to the dr. Otherwise I wouldn't be too concerned. HTH :)

Same with Hannah. And same advice.

4. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Thanks -- I also looked up umbilical hernia on a bunch of websites (after I posted that), and they said the same thing. It's just funny because I never noticed it till now -- and you'd think the doctor would have checked, but maybe it's so common that they just don't bother.

5. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Same here....one DD has an umbilical and the PEDI is not concerned....however my other DD had a inguenal and it was repaired right away at 14 months. I don't think the umbilicals are high risk and I was told they often close as the stomach muscles get stronger.

KC