Any decongestants safe for toddlers?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by vtlakey, Jan 25, 2011.

1. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

I always thought that you couldn't give cough syrup with decongestant to toddlers unless they were at least 2 years old or older. But I found this on Dr. Sears website for something called Pediacare Infant Decongestion Drops. Has anybody ever used those drops (or something similar) on kiddos less than 2 years old? I personally don't think our boys' cold is bad enough to warrant decongestants yet, but our babysitter is the one recommending this stuff. Just curious what others think. I also don't recall ever seeing Pediacare Infant Decongestion Drops (or similar) in any of our stores, though I haven't been looking for such a thing (and they may be sold behind the pharmacy counter like other decongestant meds).

As always TIA!

2. kgar

kgar Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with the product you mention, but here's this: An older pediatrician in our pediatrician's office once told me that I could give my girls 1/2 tsp of kids-strength Dimetap if their congestion seemed unbearable for them. However, our actual pediatrician, a much younger guy (calls himself a "new school" pedi) told me that there's absolutely no evidence that decongestants work for young children.

3. vtlakey

I was just googling and found some articles saying that decongestants are more dangerous for kids under 2, and one of the articles also said they weren't proven to even be effective. I think our nanny just wants us to give them a decongestant because they aren't napping well or for very long (and its cutting into her web surfing time, pfft), when really a decongestant will be more likely to make them jittery. So unless they become miserable I have no plans to get any children's decongestant (especially as I read more articles saying that many doctors don't consider them safe for under 2).

4. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

I believe those Pediacare drops are no longer made per the FDA rule about no decongestants for under age 2.

5. vtlakey

Thanks. I found this FDA document that explains why they do not recommend cough and cold meds for children under 2. That's all I need to know. And I plan on sending it to my babysitter so she will stop recommending a decongestant.

6. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

We have used the decongestant drops as recommended by the girls' pediatrician. It was a few months ago that we used them and the only reason why they were prescribed (even though they're OTC) is because the girls were sick for well over two weeks. They are made by little noses and they're in the aisle with the saline spray for babies. Since they are under 2 they get a different dosage than what's listed on the box, but you would need to contact your pediatrician about the correct amount. Plus, you can't use them longer than 3 days in a row. They do still make this stuff and it does work, but definitely contact your Pedi first. :)

Here is the link to the website for Little Noses.

7. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

My ped recommended Benadryl when my guys were absolutely miserable with stuffy noses. They were not sleeping well at all, and we were all suffering. I asked if there was anything I could give them to get them some relief and he said Benadryl would dry them up, and help them sleep. I gave it to them for 2 nights, and they were like new men!

Call your ped or the nurse's line and ask what (if anything) they recommend! :)

8. vtlakey

Our pedi has recommended benadryl before, when Brandon continued to have coughing fits weeks after he was over a cold. The pedi said he may have allergies and recommended we give him 1/2 tsp of benadryl daily (maybe even twice a day, can't remember). Well after a few days it had no effect on B's coughing fits, so we just stopped with the benadryl, and his coughing fits eventually went away on their own. But since we got the go ahead for benadryl in the past I did decide to give 1/2 tsp of benadryl last night just before we put the boys to bed. Benadryl doesn't scare me (if using the pedi recommended dose) but pseudoephedrine (a decongestant) does. I'm sure we'll give the boys another 1/2 tsp of benadryl tonight if they are still stuffy and coughing :) And we will be running the humidifier at full blast.

Thanks ladies!

9. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

The ingredient pseudoephedrine is not in the little noses brand. Plus, that's the ingredient the FDA took out of most decongestants as it's the main ingredient used to make meth. I'm pretty sure that it's outlawed now in medicine.

10. vtlakey

Yeah my comment wasn't about Little Noses but about decongestants in general. Also I thought pseudoephedrine was still legal and in some meds, you just have to show id and sign for it. Perhaps that recently changed.

11. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

I just bought some plain pseudoephedrine tablets (for me) and had to show an ID to the pharmacist. I think if you are buying a combination pill (like pseudoephedrine combined with tylenol) you can just get it right off the shelf.

12. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

If they are stopped, you can clean out their noses with saline rinse/bulb (fun), run a humidifier, or give them the benadryl (at night). There are lots of alternate things your nanny can do to make them comfortable enough to sleep.

13. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

Have you tried just the little noses saline spray? That works wonderful for us. I know that is maybe not the strength you are looking for. On bad nights when they had colds we did it before bed and it helped them fall asleep.

14. vtlakey

I'm not sure of the brand but we have an aerosol can of saline spray that we use on the boys any time they are sick, snotty, or just have a big stubborn boogie :lol: Last night we squirted their noses with saline, then cleaned out their noses, applied a very small amount of vick's vapor rub to their chest, and gave them a 1/2 tsp each of benadryl and ibuprofen (both had low grade fevers) before bed. Brandon was wheezing more than Colin so we gave him a nebulizer treatment too, though noticed he was still a little raspy/phlegmy sounding afterwards, which was worrisome because the last time he had a regular cold and wheezed a neb treatment always cleared him up immediately, for a while. Anyway, we put them to bed fully expecting to have to give B another neb treatment in the middle of the night. Turns out that wasn't all we had to do. After a 3am neb treatment he still sounded awful and had the unmistakable signs of croup (barking cough and labored breathing) so I turned on the shower to steam up the bathroom and had DH call the on call nurse. She said to stay in the steam bathroom for another 10 min, then do another neb treatment, and give him a few tablespoons of a warm clear liquid. When she called us back 30 minutes later B was still croupy. So she said to bundle him up and take him outside in the cold for 20 minutes, which didn't help much either (nothing like a 4am stroll in your driveway in the cold). At that point the nurse said it was time to take B into the ER because of the risk of stridor which is very dangerous. At the ER they gave B a dose of prednisone in apple juice and sent him home with a scrip of more prednisone. And that one dose of steroids so far has had a noticeable effect on B's breathing, thank goodness. He will have a second dose this evening.

Its times like these I wonder how people managed in the old days without modern medicine. I know child mortality rates were much higher then, but sometimes I'm surprised at at how high the survival rates actually were given how rough life was back then and the limited access to medicines. I am so thankful to live in the times we do with access to life saving meds and vaccines!

Anyway, I hope tonight is much calmer (and that C's cold doesn't turn into croup) because I don't know if I can take another night like last night! I just want to sleep :lazy:

15. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

It's nice to see moms up to date on current recommendations and safety. In the past 2 years they have taken all OTC cold/cough remedies off the market for kids under 4 due to the lack of effectiveness and the possible dangerous side effects. There is even talk to change the age to under 6! The little noses stuff that someone mentioned is different because its a nasal spray. It does work but if used too much can make congestion worse. It's the same stuff they put in Afrin. I've used it myself as a last resort but I usually stick with saline even though I could call in my own prescriptions!

Personally, I would save any meds except for tylenol/motrin for my own dosing because I feel I can detect side effects in my kids better than a babysitter!