Any homeschooling Moms out there?

Discussion in 'General' started by slr814, Jul 29, 2008.

1. slr814

slr814 Well-Known Member

I was so excited to see this forum, but there are no topics started. I have already decided to homeschool my DD. She will still be in pre-school this fall, but I am going to do some kindergarten work with her, like teaching her to read. But I mostly want to make this year fun, so that she'll still be really excited about school next year when the hard stuff starts. I would love to hear from other people who have more experience. :D

2. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Is this a subforum now?

I have been homeschooling my DS's since they were 4 yrs old.

3. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

YES! It was added today based on members' requests for such a forum! We hope it is very successful!

4. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

Hello. I am a homeschooling mommy. I have only been homeschooling since January, so I don't have a whole lot of advice for the younger kids yet (DD is officially a 3rd grader now). Right now I am working on some basic writing skills with the bigger boys, but that is pretty much it. They are pretty behind in speech so learning to read will probably be slow, although Nathan can memorize an easy book pretty fast, so who knows. Brandon and I are just practicing staying out of the way, and reading books for distraction.

5. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm also a homeschooling mom. My oldest is 10 and we've homeschooled from the beginning. If she were in school, she'd be going into 5th grade. My sons would be in 3rd and starting kindergarten. We're closer to the unschooling end of the spectrum, and don't have a curriculum, except for math and handwriting. We do school (though ours doesn't look like school at all) all year round, with more fun and less studying in the summer.

6. Laura in Alaska

Laura in Alaska Well-Known Member

I'm a homeschooling mom. DS is soon-to-be 18 and should graduate within the next 6 months...if he commits to it. He's at an age where it has to come from him and only him. The girls are still too young for actual school, but we try to "do" the alphabet, have coloring time, reading time and exercise time (jumping, standing on one foot, stretching, etc) every day. I'm going to start a home grown curriculum with the girls in late August. DD1 has always gone to public school by choice, even though she thinks she'd learn more if she did it her brother's way. She'll be a freshman this fall. I have experience with this high school and it isn't a great school at all. If she wants to stay with public school, that's fine; but I'm hoping to supplement some of her education with a few projects this year. I know she's capable of SO much more than they expect of her.

I'm SO glad to see this sub-forum!

7. rheamay

rheamay Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Sarah© @ Jul 29 2008, 12:45 PM) [snapback]902793[/snapback]
    YES! It was added today based on members' requests for such a forum! We hope it is very successful!

AWESOME! Maybe there should be a link out in the PC so people can find it. I know there are a lot of HS mom's out there.

I am on the fence. I am going to try some preschool stuff because I can't afford to send the twins to preschool like I did with their older brother. I am doing some kindergarten stuff with my oldest (4 in Sept) because he is so very smart and I want to see what he knows. So I am testing the waters and we'll see what happens. I am so very afraid of committing to something and not being able to follow through. I don't want to "ruin" their education. kwim? B)

8. slr814

slr814 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mommy23monkeys @ Jul 30 2008, 05:24 PM) [snapback]905120[/snapback]
    AWESOME! Maybe there should be a link out in the PC so people can find it. I know there are a lot of HS mom's out there.

I am on the fence. I am going to try some preschool stuff because I can't afford to send the twins to preschool like I did with their older brother. I am doing some kindergarten stuff with my oldest (4 in Sept) because he is so very smart and I want to see what he knows. So I am testing the waters and we'll see what happens. I am so very afraid of committing to something and not being able to follow through. I don't want to "ruin" their education. kwim? B)

Don't sweat it! If you try homeschooling and it isn't working for you, your not locked in. If I were you I would give it a "test run" with pre school, and if you like it, go on to K. You seem to care a lot about your kids education, and would probably do a wonderful job teaching your children. :D

9. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

homeschooling here! My advice is to go to your local library and see what books they have on the topic. I've been so inspired the last 2 months reading every homeschooling book I could get my hands on. I loved this one book by Lisa Whechel...not sure if I'm spelling that right. I think it was called So you're thinking of homeschooling. After a lot of research we've decided to buy some materials from Sonlight curriculum this year. I'm really excited about pulling this all together.

10. Kcampbell

Kcampbell Well-Known Member

I homeschool my oldest (1st grade). Last year we used A Beka, and this year I have pieced together different curriculums. My DH has Asperger's and is EXTREMELY book smart. It's his social skills I really have to work on. Last year we finished both kindergarten and 1st grade curriculums, and now I'm starting to branch out more. We bought him the Rosetta Stone for Spanish, and lots of different science books (he has a knack for the sciences). I don't want him to get too far ahead in case for some reason he would have to go to school. I am sending my kindergartener and pre-Ker to public school this year. Maybe next year I will homeschool them. We're just playing it by ear right now!

11. Aurie

Aurie Well-Known Member

We are going into our 3rd year HSing. This year we are using Oak Meadow curriculum. We are schooling grades k/1 (dd6), 4/5 (ds9) and 5/6 (ds11). With the addition of the twins last year, my dd schooling got a rocky start. So we are repeating part of k and moving on with 1st grade material where she is ready. I choose a more writing intensive curriculum, because that was the area in which we were weakest last year. Both of my boys tested at grade level for language arts and two grade levels ahead in math. So last year wasn't near as "weak" as I had feared, at least not for the boys. Yay!

12. chris629

chris629 Well-Known Member

I will be doing pres with my 2.5 yr old and light K with my 5 yr old (he turns 5 the end of Aug).

13. Four_to_Six

Four_to_Six Well-Known Member

Oh, neat! I finally wandered out of the "expecting" forum and saw this gem of a forum. :D

We've hs'd from the beginning... hard to believe six years have gone so fast. We use a hodge-podge of curriculum... that's the beauty of hs'ing, it's custom-tailored for each child.

14. mel_michigan

mel_michigan Well-Known Member

We are on the fence and really leaning toward homeschooling. I "homeschooled" over the summer and it went pretty well. My oldest would be fourth grade but also has Aspergers and the school isn't doing anything with her either where she needs help or in challenging her where she doesn't. My twins would be going to K but the older one has already almost finished the K curruculum and the GLCE's over the summer so I'm hesitant to send her. I see so many similarities with my older DD and don't want to see her bored or lacking either. My younger twin is the socialite and the only one I'm hesitant about, she may do really well with the group thing but I'm sure won't go on her own. My youngest goes to EC with the school district for speech and that will continue. I love hearing everyone's stories and successes. Maybe I can make a decision soon!