Any ideas?

Discussion in 'General' started by Aurie, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Aurie

Aurie Well-Known Member

Any ideas on how to keep the twins entertained when we start back to school? I plan on doing most of the interaction time for teaching during nap time. However, I am sure it won't all get done then. The girls are semi interested in TV. This could kill 20 mins. Looking for other suggestions. Thanks!

2. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

I wish I had a magical answer for this one. Brandon is all over the place when it comes to putting all 3 of the older ones at the table together. Your girls are still pretty young, but could you do something like Cheerios in high chairs or big crayons on paper?

3. Aurie

Aurie Well-Known Member

I was thinking some kind of stations, like the high chairs for 15 mins, TV for 20 mins, play time for 30.

Alot of the stuff the older boys have to do can really be done on their own. I have to give them instructions and go over it with them. But it is pretty independent from there on. It is my k/1 student with whom I have to give the most time. My goal is to have her reading by Christmas. That isn't going to happen by itself ;)

We are actually scheduling several nature walks into our curriculum. So going to the park is actually part of school work. This should give them something to do as well. I can let them play while the older ones collect their goods, make their observations or do their art.

4. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I'm planning on doing most during naptime. And from there, I guess letting them play during school. But we are really backing off the totally curriculum idea here. Unit studies and lapbooks will be our theme. My fourth grader needs to remember what it's like to love to learn. That's more important to me than finishing multiple books in such a period. So with this refocus, I shouldn't need as much one on one time with the big boys.

5. mel_michigan

mel_michigan Well-Known Member

I just keep rotating my little guy through his normal routine, floor time, exersaucer, swing, highchair. I'm sure all of that won't work with yours being a little more mobile. I have time when they read to me or run around outside when I have to be more closely involved with feeding or changing or rocking the baby. Otherwise as he gets older I just bring him in the kitchen with me or move things around so they are doing some things on the computer. Mine all use time4learning to augment their curriculum (I just don't use the playground they have available to the kids) so that is other time when I can be more one on one with the boys. It's a nice way to introduce concepts or reinforce something, especially since we bought some laptops to have at the kitchen table. I'm not sure how old your school age kids are but Kumon workbooks are another nice filler when you need time with the twins, they are geared to be done on their own. For me it's easier to plan what the older kids can be doing when I need more time than to plan what the baby can be doing! :)

6. mel_michigan

mel_michigan Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd add that the einstein videos and the baby bumblebee videos are have been a big hit for 15 to 20 minutes in a pinch as well, especially if I've watched it with them before so they are excited about it.

7. Aurie

Aurie Well-Known Member

For me it's easier to plan what the older kids can be doing when I need more time than to plan what the baby can be doing!

That is a different way to look at it. I like it. Sometimes stepping out of the box gives you a whole new perspective!