Any New Mommy-to-Be-of Twins Out There?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by msterling, Jun 1, 2012.

1. msterling

msterling Active Member

I just found out I am going on 6 weeks with twins! We are so excited, after years of ttc. I came across this site and thought I would see if there are any soon-to-be-mommy of twins on this site? Looking to gather a support group for each other during this journey to help each other out, share stories, and help answer any questions. Please join me! I would love to hear from you!

1 person likes this.
  2. Nella

Nella Active Member

Hi Sweetprego,

Welcome to the forum, believe me it will be super helpful for you, the ladies on here are super helpful and knowledgeable.

I'm currently 30 weeks preggos with mono/mono twins and they are my first pregnancy and currently in-patient care.

Feel free to ask question, if I can help I will.

Congratulations on your twins!!

3. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

This is my second twin pregnancy but I wanted to say congrats and welcome to the forum. It's very helpful and the ladies here are great! :)

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:welcome: to TS! We are all here to support you and listen. :)

5. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

Welcome to TS - you will come to love it here, it's a wealth of knowledge!

6. msterling

msterling Active Member

Thank you all for the open-arm welcome! It means a lot to me. It is nice to see a group out here that is willing to help and be there for each other. This is my and my husband's first pregnancy. We had some challenges the past 2 yrs and had to turn to IVF. We were blessed it worked the first cycle, but never thought it would be twins! But we are soooo very excited for this experience and journey.

I just started my Week 6 ("Sweet Pea status" LOL) and have been lucky, up until this weekend, to not have any morning sickness. Then over the weekend I started to feel quesy and could barely eat. I still gained a pound. I am pretty petite so I was surprised by this. For twins, what is the typical weight gain in the 1st trimester? I started off at 107.5 and now today am 108.5. I am trying to eat but I just feel so quesy and get diarrhea right after I eat and it goes through me. Sorry for all the information, but hopefully someone has been in my boat and may be able to help. I also have been having severe constipation cramps and read that Gas-X is safe and effective. Any advice? It wakes me up it is that bad! Other than that....just feeling so tired. My husband went to work out in our garage yesterday and I told him I would start on laundry. He found me an hour later sleeping on the couch (no laundry started! LOL) and I was ready for bed by 7pm! ;-)

7. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Welcome, sweetprego!

I don't have any experience regarding the constipation (or maybe I've blocked that memory out?) but I can tell you that you sound absolutely normal for your stage of pregnancy! I think I slept through the entire first trimester. ;) Recommended weight gain is 35-45 pounds, or a pound a week. Don't worry if you don't quite gain that while you have morning sickness- it's not uncommon to lose a little bit first. Definitely track your weekly gain and show it to your doctor at your next appointment. He should be able to look at your size and let you know what to shoot for. You could always drink some Ensure if you're concerned about getting nutrients in your system efficiently.

Post any questions you have here in the Expecting forum and you're sure to get tons of answers and support. We usually have a pretty big crowd hanging around here. You'll also see some of us who have older twins popping in to help out.

Welcome to Twinstuff! Congrats!

8. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:welcome: Welcome to TS and congratulations on your twin pregnancy!! We are glad you found us! :babyflips: :babyflips:

I think typical weight gain in the 1st trimester is around 8-12lbs. As for gas and constipation I would use tums. Food that was salty and sour helped me with morning sickness, although not too healthy I would snack on lays potato chips and lemonade. :)
    And I do remember being so very tired all the time in the 1st trimester but thankfully you will get some energy back during the 2nd trimester.

Take care!!

9. msterling

msterling Active Member

Thank you for your quick responses ladies! Much appreciated. :woman:

So I did a quick search and found the following weight gain info for carrying twins. I may fall into the underweight or normal criteria. So I guess 3-5 pounds by Week 12 will be normal for me.

Underweight With Twins
    1st Tri:4 to 6 pounds
    2nd Tri: 19 to 23 pounds
    3rd Tri: 17 to 21 pounds
    Total of 40 to 50 pounds gained

Normal to Overweight With Twins
    1st Tri: 3 to 4 pounds
    2nd Tri: 19 to 22 pounds
    3rd Tri: 13 to 19 pounds
    Total of 35 to 45 pounds gained

I have been keeping a daily Food/Weight diary and will bring this to my RE this Fri when I go in for 2nd u/s to hear the heartbeats! I stay with my RE until Week 10 and get discharged to my OB.

It's funny...I've been living off of Ginger Ale and the ginger still hasn't really helped me. Oh, and I used to be a sweet tooth but now I don't even have any cravings for candy! I have aged cheese, onion dip and tomato soup cravings so far! LOL I am trying to eat as healthy as I can but I can't help the cheese and dip cravings! Lesley Anne - I read the Tums is more for heartburn. But did this help you with you constipation pains? And ECUBitzy - thanks for the Ensure advice! I will look into this.

10. Nella

Nella Active Member

As I said previously this is my first pregnancy as well... My 1st trimester was not the easiest time for me, we didn't find out that we were having twins until like 14 weeks...

I started at about 135 - 130 lbs and lost 15 lbs in the 1st trimester, and now I'm at 30 weeks and I am about 180 lbs, so I believe the weight gain will be different for everyone. I tried to eat healthy as well, didn't happen I just ate whatever I feel like it... LOL

Advice I can give you, if you do start getting to feel very nauseous and queasy I used these natural lollipops called B-natal you can find them at Babies r us, I was a bit constipated and gassy as well, for the constipation I ate a lot of prunes, and still do, as for the gassy ginger ale helped me get it out and also a star anis thee that its just simple to boil dried star anis and drink the water, it helps to let the gas out as well.

I hope this helps you out...

11. msterling

msterling Active Member

Hi Nella - thanks! wow - 14 weeks? I bet you guys were very pleasantly surprised! :ibiggrin:

Thanks for the tips! I will keep them in mind. :thanks:

12. efaith

efaith Well-Known Member

Hi and congratulations on your pregnancy! Growing two is pretty hard on your body, this is my third pregnancy and the other 2 were a breeze compared to this!!!
    I was very underweight when I conceived but before I even found out it was twins (at 12 weeks) I gained about 20 pounds! I wasn't vomiting but I felt nauseous and queasy all the time and the gas was impressive - my 4 your old boy was so impressed at my new belching abilities!!! Someone gave me a tip last pregnancy to eat protein when I felt iffy so I had lots of eggs and cheese and lean meat, I swear it helped hugely.
    After all that weight gain though i have struggled to gain anything since and the acid reflux I get now makes it harder to eat than morning sickness did! I am now nearly 30 weeks and have only gained another 10 pounds - my babies estimated fetal weight is nearly 3 pounds each!
    Take it easy and eat what sits well, plenty of time to worry about if you've gained too much, right now you just have to function!!!

13. Moonangel

Moonangel Member

Hi there!

I am 31 weeks with di-di boy/boy twins. I was sick as a dog during my first trimester and throwing up 3 or 4 times a day, but I was also putting on a lot of weight for me. I put on a lb a week for that first 14 weeks which normally I wouldn't put on any weight. So I went to the Dr and told him I was having twins because I was WAY too sick and WAY too big for it to be a single baby. (This is pregnancy #4 for me and so I know my own body). He checked and sure enough! Twins. We were about 10 weeks when we found out.

I started at 110 and I've put on 38lbs so far. So we were pretty close to the same starting point. Everyone is different and honestly I don't worry about weight, I worry about nutrition instead. I figure it isn't what you weigh that matters it is what you put into your body. I don't even weigh myself on my home scale at all. I am a big health food advocate and we don't have a lot of processed foods (other than noodles) in the home. Anyway...that was a side soap box... :)

Tip: Ginger tea helped me with my nausea.

Congrats and welcome!

Heather

14. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

Congrats and welcome! I gained 65 lbs with my pregnancy and had lost more than half that before I left the hospital. Much of the rest has come off very easily thanks to breastfeeding, though the last 14 lbs is proving stubborn. I remain convinced it's what I gained in the 1st trimester when all I could eat was crackers, bagels etc. I went from gluten free to gluten rich! For constapation I would recommend prunes or another dried fruit of your choice (though not too much or it can make it worse) and gaviscon for heartburn. Hope this helps and that you have a smooth pregnancy. Good luck!

15. msterling

msterling Active Member

Thank you ladies for your responses. I appreciate everyone's feedback. just to clarify, it's not that I'm looking to not gain any weught during the first trimester. I am just surprised that I really haven't gained any weight but one pound. But, I am in the middle of my 6th week and read that some women don't even gain weight even during the 1st trimester. In fact, I have been eating even more than usual to make sure my babies are getting nutrition but I'm just not seeing the weight gain. I'm going to talk with my RE on Fri to see if there is any concern, but I'm learning that I don't think there is room to worry this early just yet.

So the last few days since I've written, I've just been having cramps practically ALL day. They are worse than menstrual-like cramps and I don't have any spotting or discharge. I've taken some Tylenol and they really won't subside. Last week my RE told me I could feel more cramps than perhaps an average singleton pregnancy since there are twins and with my smaller body frame I could feel them more and for the next few weeks. Has anyone else experienced this?

* I write this as my hubby made me one of my favs - nachos with queso salsa - and I ate only 2 chips & my stomach turned. So upset b/c it is one of my fav snacks! :-(

16. KellyJ

KellyJ Well-Known Member

I had terrible cramping in the first trimester! It is usually nothing at all to worry about, but just normal stretching of your uterus. Drinking tons of water can help, though you will feel like you are living in the bathroom. For me, I swear I had to pee every 10 minutes in the first several weeks. My uterus was lying on my bladder! As long as there is no spotting, I would not be very concerned, and even spotting can be normal. I spotted for a week solid from 6-7 weeks, but all was fine. Never feel silly about calling your doctor-never ! Good luck with everything.

17. msterling

msterling Active Member

Hi Ladies!

Hoping you all are having a nice week. It's been some time since I wrote. Busy with work I guess...all is going well. I am 8w1d now! We have heard the heartbeats pitter pattering! They are growing. We are so excited but still in shock it is twins! I've been pretty luck with mild symptoms. I feel queasy some days and to some foods but I am mainly just so freakin' tired!! I can't get enough sleep.

Has anyone on the board gone through IVF as well? We are debating when to tell people. My immediate family and closest friends know just b/c we involved them with our IVF journey. I have an upcoming extended family party this weekend and I am contimplating on telling them there b/c the next time I see everyone will be over Thanksgiving. My DH side is another story. They are scattered about and so we are trying to think of ideas (we may post some Youtube video announcement and send to them).

My sister thinks that it is safe to tell people now sincw I've heard the heartbeats. I guess her theory is that since IVF patients have the luxury of getting weekly ultrasounds and hearing the heartbeats early on and seeing that things are normal then it is safe to tell people. I hear traditionally, with natural pregnancy, you don't have your u/s and hear the heartbeats until 12 weeks so this is a main reason (plus waiting for some tests) that people tend to wait on telling relatives.

Any comments to this and opinions on when you think I should start telling people? I am not showing (tiny pouch & only gained 2 Ibs so far) so I can afford to wait but then I miss the opportunity to let eveyone know at the same place/time! Thank you!!

18. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Haven't read all the other replies so far but I recommend Tums for the gas and high fiber foods (maybe even metamucil) for the constipation (if you are still having those issues). You can always call your dr's office to clear anything with them before you take it. As for the weight gain, I had horrible nausea (even with my singleton) for the first 4 months (bad enough to need medication with both pregnancies). I did not gain the first trimester recommended weight but definitely made up for it in the second trimester so you can always make up for it later if you need to. :)

As for when to tell people, that really depends on what you feel comfortable with. If it would be easier on you to tell everyone at once, then by all means do! Particularly with being extra tired from a twin pregnancy, it can be hard to coordinate or be creative with your announcement. We've spilled the beans before my first prenatal visit at 8 weeks with both pregnancies - for the first I was so excited, I couldn't keep it quiet and for the second, the nausea had already started and I knew there would be questions about why I pretty much refused to touch food (so I didn't even know I had twins yet!). On the other hand, I know plenty of people who have waited into the second trimester to share the news so I don't think there's any real standard.

Oh and congrats!

19. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am so glad you are doing well! I think the chances of m/c goes down so much after you've reached 12 weeks that it is a much safer time to tell people then news. However, its entirely up to you! What ever you are comfortable with! :good:

20. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

WELCOME!!! I'm currently 29 weeks with di/di twins. A boy (Jackson) and a Girl (Adalynn). This is my first pregnancy and my husband and I are so happy to have an instant family. We were of course shocked when we found out, but elated none the less.

This forum is phenomenal!!! Everyone has been so helpful and kind with any and all questions, it's a wonderful resource for a singleton pregnancy let alone a twin pregnancy!!!

Good luck! And welcome again!!

~Alex

21. msterling

msterling Active Member

Just popping in here for a few free moments during work. Hope everyone is well! Some of you know, through reading my past posts, that I am rather petite and have been fluctuating between 108-110. However, this week I've actually dropped to 107. Anything I eat this week goes right through me and I have diarrhea almost after every meal within an hour. Sorry for TMI, but I'm hoping to hear if this is normal going on 11 weeks? I still don't really look preggo (I have a small bump) and my doc told me before I should look preggo quicker b/c of my thin frame but I don't. :( I want to start telling people soon and I worry everyone will just lecture me on eating more when I've been eating more but it just goes right through me. Any thoughts if I should call my doc about this or is this normal? I'm hoping it is normal b/c I don't have my 1st OB appt for another 2 weeks and I just graduated from my RE last week so I am riding solo with no appts until the week of July 16th. Thanks!

22. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Try not to worry so much about your weight right now, you will start gaining weight soon. Try to eat some toast or white rice or whatever you know will help you in your situation. At this stage it's important to drink a lot of water and try to eat healthy foods. I was nauseous my whole pregnancy and I didn't start gaining weight until 12-14 weeks and I lost some weight in the first trimester also. Don't dwell too much on the digestive discomfort, most pregnant people have weird symptoms from that point of view. If the babies look good at ultrasounds and they are growing like they should, you are doing great :). Trust me, your stomach will get BIG.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and I hope you feel better soon.

23. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I agree with PP. Also, in my experience, it doesn't matter how much weight you gain or look like you have gained, most everyone will have an opinion on how much or little you eat at every stage of the pregnancy. Hopefully, most of them will have the good grace to keep their mouths shut about it but I don't think you can count on all of them doing that!

24. msterling

msterling Active Member

Thanks gals! :) I appreciate the feedback. I wish my sis and brother would just keep their mouths shut! LOL My hubby, all in-laws and relatives haven't said anything...yet. I really wouldn't mind gaining the weight and "looking" pregnant. I can't wait for the time to come!! I am more concerned about the diarrhea I've been experiencing recently and wondered if anyone had this issue closer to the end of the 1st trimester? I live off carbs and fruit right now. I have been drinking "Green Machine" to give me my veggies I need. But even this morning, I had 2 slices of toasted white bread with real cream cheese and 8 oz Green Machine and it came out of me within the hour.

25. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ugh. I had this last year with my baby girl. I was told try imodium and it worked ok. I also did 2 days of the BRATY diet to reset my system. I found that my girl had a hard time with fatty foods - unfortunately I craved them.

26. Tari

Tari New Member

Hie

Im new to the forum and Im currently 15 weeks pregnancy. This is my third pregnancy and we were expecting a singleton and we got twins instead. I am looking forward to learning from you ladies on the forum.

27. AKilburn

Sweetprego --- Don't worry about gaining weight/showing yet. Your doctor will tell you if he/she is concerned with your weight. My doc had said, 24 lbs in 24 weeks. I didn't really start gaining a bunch until mid 2nd trimester, and well lets just say I've done a good job of gaining it!!! lol.

I suffered from the constipation and then loose bowels during the 1st trimester, it eventually evened out. Some of it is the hormones, some of it is the prenantal vitamins. I also did the BRATY diet for 2 days to reset my system and it seemed to work (that was until I had to go on Iron, now I feel like a grandma having to take my metimucil every day, lol).

I don't have any experience with IVF, my twins were a complete shock, but friends that I've had that went through it waiting till 12 weeks (the first trimester). But do it when you are comfortable.

Tari -- :welcome: to TS! You'll love it here! And Congrats on your little ones!

28. Bethany83616

Bethany83616 New Member

Congratulations! We also did IVF and found out today we're having twins! This is my second pregnancy but my first with twins. I remember being constipated with my first. Lts of fiber rich foods will help. I've had horrible nausea and been pretty tired. Besides that things have been pretty good. We're due 3/8/13. It's great to have such great support

29. AKilburn

:welcome: Valerie's mommy! Congrats on your twins! What type are you having? I've suffered from morning sickness pretty much the whole pregnancy ... Supposedly its worse with twins than a Singleton, Ive been taking phenegran, using sea bands and gin gins ginger candies. Obviously the exhaustion is totally normal, it'll get better!

30. msterling

msterling Active Member

Welcome Tari and congratulations Valerie's Mommy!! Exciting news!

Today I had amy 12 week first OB appt with one of the groups we are deciding on I had an u/s. I was so used to vaginal u/s with my IVF RE and when this doc explained they do it on the stomach, I got nervous. For a short while she was swarming that thing around me and FINALLY we could hear heartbeat #1 at 160. YEA!! Then...she was looking around for the twin. And she kept looking...and looking. It was so nerve-wrecking and I kept squeezing my hubby's hand (and he started to look nervous and he NEVER gets nervous!). Finally...after some VERY long minutes of her search we finally heard Baby B on the other side of my stomach! HB at 165. We were soooo relieved! I am finally going to tell my work later this week! I have not even started to research any baby items on line. I guess I can now start! LOL

31. AKilburn

Thats great sweet prego! Check out the sticky: beginners tips, must haves. That helped me greatly. Check out consignment shops, Craigslist (I got my glider, by best chairs -- it's phenomenal .. anyway brand new retail glider and ottoman coat $650, I paid $275 for one that was barely used) and price compare on sites like amazon. I got my crib $100 cheaper on amazon than it was in the stores. There were things we started to get before we knew the genders but once we knew those it was on and the shopping spree started! Lol

32. Elsabe

Elsabe New Member

Hi There!
    I also did IVF and found out Monday that I am expecting twins. It was a total surprise to me... when I got my bfp hpt on 8dp3dt I thought maybe its twins but after my betas I was convinced it was a singleton. Imagine my surprise!!! I am looking so much forward to this wonderful journey!

1 person likes this.
  33. msterling

msterling Active Member

Hi Girls!! I am back from vacation from our BabIESmoon at Bermuda. It was so nice and RELAXING!

I had a question...I am in my 15th week and for the past few days I have been feeling menstrual like cramps in my lower abdomen. And at times, when I move, I feel some pinching. I thought the pinching may be the first movements of the babies but I read they feel more like flutters or popcorn popping. I just have no clue and am worried about these cramps. They don't last for a few seconds or minutes. I feel like, today for instance, they have lasted all afternoon! Anyone else experiencing this? They feel very different than the ligament pains I am used to feeling. My next OB appt is not until next Wed! thanks!

34. ttyt

ttyt Member

Hello! I'm new here but am already 19 weeks along with di/di twins, gender unknown as they were shy...

Sweetprego: Sounds like your uterus expanding significantly as I had the same feelings before. As long as there's no bleeding it should be fine but it's better to give your OB a call to make sure that is what it is for ease of mind.

35. AKilburn

Ttyt, my baby girl was that way .... Shy. I was 27 weeks when they were finally able to determine she was a girl ... My boy has been proud the entire time, lol!

Sweetprego, its probably just stretching and ligament pain. I ended up in the er at 19 weeks with severe cramping and whatnot, doc said id over done it with walking and it was my uterus growing and ligament pain. Obviously if it becomes bothersome call your OB, but.I.wouldn't be too worried right now.