Any tips on how to make babba swallow meds?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ambernruby, May 11, 2009.

1. ambernruby

ambernruby Well-Known Member

My little one will take it in her mouth, hold it, swill it around and then spit it back out! I'm hoping i'm doing it all wrng and someone can tell me how to do it properly?? I'm sure she isn't getting half of what she needs.
    Has anybody ever put the meds in a milk feed? It's the only way i can see her getting the dose

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Is it flavored Penicillin?

Instead of squirting it directly into her mouth, you can try shooting it down between her cheek and gums. Also, see if your pharmacy has medicine dispensing pacifiers (dummies).

3. Mum2TwinBoys

Mum2TwinBoys Well-Known Member

My doc told me to puff air in their face as they were taking the medicine. To say it now sounds awful but it worked for Molly, she always gave me trouble with meds and didn't use a pacifier so I was limited on my options but it works. Now the only way she will take meds is if she does it herself.

4. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

Our boys won't swallow their Zantac if we give them to it straight, and the blowing in their faces trick didn't work for either of our boys; instead, we take the medicine dropper, wait till they are starting to suck on a bottle, and then slide the dropper in next to the bottle nipple and squirt the med in along the inside of their cheek. Works every time! They just go ahead and swallow the med along with the milk, and that way they don't have to taste it as much.

5. Neumsy

Neumsy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mummy2ambernruby @ May 11 2009, 12:46 PM) [snapback]1308327[/snapback]
    My little one will take it in her mouth, hold it, swill it around and then spit it back out! I'm hoping i'm doing it all wrng and someone can tell me how to do it properly?? I'm sure she isn't getting half of what she needs.
    Has anybody ever put the meds in a milk feed? It's the only way i can see her getting the dose

(I knew as soon as I saw the word "babba" that you had to be from over here! :D) I have them flavor it at Boots (they'll usually do it for free if you ask ahead, and then I just put it in an empty teat and let them suck it down. Good luck!

6. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have to lay my girls on my lap and then squirt it down their throat, and wait for them to swallow before I let them up. It's the only way they don't spit it out. I didn't know you could get medicine dispensing pacifires!

7. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

I just put it in an empty teat and let them suck it down.
    I do this (worked great for us, I'd do it just before a feed)
    Instead of squirting it directly into her mouth, you can try shooting it down between her cheek and gums.
    or this. You need a syringe-just put it as far back in their cheek as possible and squirt slowly. You may have to do it in 0.5ml portions but if it's only a tiny bit right at the back of their mouth it's practically impossible for them to spit out.

8. becky5

becky5 Guest

I squirted small amounts between the cheek and gums.

9. ambernruby

ambernruby Well-Known Member

Wow thanx for all the suggestions! Much appreciated :D
    Yes it is flavoured but i don't think there into sweet thinkss yet. Well i tried it in the teat and it works fine with Amber who now has a "viral infection" but not with Ruby who has tonsillitus so my next attempt will be the blowing in the face lol
    I have previously been doing it down the side of her cheek, i'll give it ago in smaller amounts though hopefully this will help.
    I don't think your method will work with Ruby Sc Amy, we struggle to get milk down her at all but thanx.
    Not sure if we have the Medicine Pacifiers here but will look into it, they sound a good idea!
    LOL @ Neumsy...You got me there! Hello from Doncaster South Yorkshire :wavey:

10. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

this is what we do for our boys...we put the syringe in their mouth when they are sucking on their bottle...they really don't know the difference...
    good luck!

11. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mummy2ambernruby @ May 11 2009, 08:56 PM) [snapback]1309021[/snapback]
    Wow thanx for all the suggestions! Much appreciated :D
    Yes it is flavoured but i don't think there into sweet thinkss yet. Well i tried it in the teat and it works fine with Amber who now has a "viral infection" but not with Ruby who has tonsillitus so my next attempt will be the blowing in the face lol
    I have previously been doing it down the side of her cheek, i'll give it ago in smaller amounts though hopefully this will help.
    I don't think your method will work with Ruby Sc Amy, we struggle to get milk down her at all but thanx.
    Not sure if we have the Medicine Pacifiers here but will look into it, they sound a good idea!
    LOL @ Neumsy...You got me there! Hello from Doncaster South Yorkshire :wavey:

You can buy them in Mothercare. I got mine from there and that was the only way my DD would take her meds! Now, if I give her meds, it goes on a spoon and I hold it in front of her, explain what it is and stick it in when she opens her mouth. Im amazed she swallows it! Im a Brit too! ;)