Any way to keep baby's head elevated

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by kumphort, Feb 14, 2011.

1. kumphort

kumphort Well-Known Member

Both my girls have colds :( One seems to be having more problems at night, I already have a cool mist humidifier running, but it doesnt seem to be making much difference, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on keeping her head elevated, as of now, she sleeps on her tummy in her crib, I don't think that giving a pillow would help that. Any other ideas?

2. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I've stuck a large book (those baby manuals often work) under the head of the crib mattress just to raise it up. One issue though is that with how much tossing and turning they do, this might not work.

3. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

I've done that and put things under the legs of one side of the crib.

I have done a saline nasal spray and flush their nose really well before they go to bed. They don't like it and will fuss and it is messy but I have found it breaks up the mucus a bit and helps them breathe easier. Plus, it's just saline water.

Good luck.

4. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

I've done both pp's suggestions (something under the mattress or raise one side of the crib). The other thing I use is natural decongestant drops (a mix of essential/plant oils), I use Karvol or Olbas oil but I don't know how readily available they are in America. You could try something like Vicks rub or vaporiser.

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I fold a small blanket and stick it under the head of the mattress of their bed, or a flat pillow, or as pp's said, a book. I also do the saline drops up the nose before bed.

6. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I've also had my babies sleep in their carseats in the past.