Anybody else worried about having a second set of twins?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Sara26, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Sara26

Sara26 Well-Known Member

My dh and I have been talking about when we want to try and get pregnant again. We have 6 frosties left over from our first IVF cycle. We're thinking we'd like to try sometime in the next year. But I'm really worried about having another set of twins! I don't know how they are frozen, but if they're frozen in sets of two and both look good when they thaw them out, then we have to put both in because I'm not going to throw my babies away. But they idea of having twins again really freaks me out! Anybody else dealing with similar issues?

2. Sara26

Sara26 Well-Known Member

My dh and I have been talking about when we want to try and get pregnant again. We have 6 frosties left over from our first IVF cycle. We're thinking we'd like to try sometime in the next year. But I'm really worried about having another set of twins! I don't know how they are frozen, but if they're frozen in sets of two and both look good when they thaw them out, then we have to put both in because I'm not going to throw my babies away. But they idea of having twins again really freaks me out! Anybody else dealing with similar issues?

3. chelseajc

chelseajc Well-Known Member

I'm in a little bit different situation than you because I conceived naturally (just off birth control for a few weeks) but I am definitely worried! I wouldn't mind having another set, but am terrified of being pregnant with twins again! I seriously don't know if I could do it. I guess we aren't given more than we can handle[​IMG] Good luck to all of us!!!

4. Jello717

Jello717 Well-Known Member

Yes! We haven't even decided if we want anymore, but we have five frozen embryos. I've been thinking about only transferring one, but I never even thought about how they are frozen. If mine are frozen in pairs, and both survive the thaw, like you, I'd probably transfer both. I just don't know if I could handle doing this again though.

5. Twinnylou

Twinnylou Well-Known Member

I am really worried about having another set of twins. Mine were conceived naturally after being of birth control for about a week!!!! So it could happen again . Even though i love my babies to bits i think having another set would be so hard x

6. valeriemiller39

valeriemiller39 Well-Known Member

I'm worried. My twins were a "natural" "surprise" so my chances of twins is 40% plus now that I'm older it will be even higher. But it was only the first 5 months that were really tough, now my twins are like having one baby and doing things twice...so a second set might not be that bad!

7. nanhancan

nanhancan Well-Known Member

Yes. Terrified. Because our chances of conceiving twins is such a high possibility, it makes us think we could be d-o-n-e. I'm giving myself another year+ to decide. Just like the pp mentioned, it's not having the twins that worries me (although 5 kids is a lot), it's the pregnancy! I never want to go through that again.

8. Don2worrybhappy

Don2worrybhappy Well-Known Member

I've thought about it, too. I just turned 30, and my DH and I talked about having just one more (we'd like to have one more boy), but not until a few years. We want to pay off some debt after I go back to work (weekends only) when the babies are about a year old (when I plan to stop breastfeeding). Plus, just in case it is twins again, at least the babies will be a bit older. It was hard with one of my girls being 2 1/2 when the twins were born. If it wasn't twins again, it seems like one more would be a breeze.

9. kcprochazka

kcprochazka Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if we are done yet or not, but this is a concern for us too. But when we found out we were having twins I was so upset and felt cursed - now I truly understand what a blessing they are. So I keep thinking that if God were to bless us with twins again I know it would be because he knew we could handle it. And it would be a blessing.

And isn't it funny now how "only" 1 baby at a time seems SO easy? I sometimes have to stop myself when talking to friends pg with a singleton. I'll start talking about the girls and if we want another baby and it just kind of comes out that "only" 1 at a time would be so easy! But it just feels like I'm being a twin snob (looking down at anyone who has only 1 baby at a time) so I shut up quickly! [​IMG]

10. MOM2AAA

MOM2AAA Well-Known Member

This is the reason DH says we are done [​IMG]. I am only 29 and I don't want to face the fact that my pregnant, baby days are done. I know there is a lot to look forward to, but....it is just hard. The twins were a surprise. When we were trying for them we were planning to have another pregnancy a few years later, but then 2 and 3 came together. The first 6 months was really tough but they are really getting fun now! I would love to have one more boy. If I go back to work next year part-time I might be able to convince him to have one in few years.
    His fears are a)having twins again b)having 5 kids!!!
    Our house only has 3 bedrooms too!
    I feel a little sad about having to send my babies to kindergarten and then down the road having them leave for college at the same time. I feel like I will be going from a full house to an empty one. Also I look ahead to the future and I would love to have a huge family to celebrate holidays and special events. I think siblings are so special.
    Also, not to be morbid, but my step-sister passed away a couple of Christmases ago. I can't imagine how it would be to lose a sibling, but I think only another sibling could truely understand. I think of my kids dealing with losses like grandparents, parents, etc...I think having a sibling to lean on would ease the burden.
    Okay...those are all of my justifications. Have I convinced you? I haven't convinced DH!!! [​IMG]
    Happy Turkey Day!
    Jenny

11. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

Our twins were conceived naturally within a couple of weeks of going off the BC pill. I have read that there is twice the chance of conceiving twins the first month off BC and 20% higher chance overall the first 6 months off BC, so my twins may very well be BC induced twins-many women hyperovulate the first month which is what causes the chance of twins to double. But, I also had an OBGYN make the comment during an annual that both ovaries had ovulate that month, so it may also just be me or a combo of the two.

With all that said, we just don't have the room for two more children in our 3 bedroom house! I work full time and don't think I could give 100% to 4 children. If I could be guaranteed only one baby, I might go for it but there are no guarantees. I do feel a little sad that I'll never have the second pregnancy I'd planned for. Still, we are leaving our options open until the girls are 3 in case we change our minds.

Angela

12. kcprochazka

kcprochazka Well-Known Member

Jenny - Wow - I could have written that exact post! [​IMG] I'm only 28, so I keep telling myself that 3 or 4 years down the road we could have another. And if we don't I would be OK with that, but I would really love to. And it would be nice spacing too (our son and the girls are only 16 months apart, which is really fun, but I feel like I'm constantly juggling babies.) [​IMG] But as long as there's a glimmer of hope for a future baby I'm happy. DH was very against having another one when the girls were first born but is now starting to come around to it. I hope the same thing happens for you!