Anyone decide NOT to get Flu Shots?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by blessedby2, Nov 12, 2007.

1. blessedby2

blessedby2 Well-Known Member

I am thinking about not getting the flu shots this year. Our whole family got the since the twins were born and this would be our first year without them. Anyone else out there thinking about not getting them?

2. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

We've never gotten flu shots, never gotten the flu. Won't do it this year, either.

3. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

We don't do flu shots here, and I can't remember the last we've had the flu. :) Plus, my DH's family has a history of bad reactions to the flu shot.

4. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

I havent had a flu shot in years and older DD has never had one..

5. Cindy123

Cindy123 Well-Known Member

We won't be getting them this year, in fact I never have gotten one.

6. veggiehead

veggiehead Well-Known Member

The only two times in my life I have had the flu shot, I had horrible reactions to them. I have decided not to get them this year.

7. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

I no longer get them for myself. The last two times I got the shot, I was horribly, horribly ill. I am sure it was coincidence, but I figure I will avoid it if I can. We opted to not get them last year for the kids. I may opt out again this year. Haven't totally decided yet.

8. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

I've never had the flu shot, and havent had the flu since I was a teen (28 y/o today!), and my girls have never gotten a flu shot and they havent had the flu either. We will never get the flu shots in my home!

9. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I decided not to have my boys get one. At their 15 month appointment, they got the chicken pox vac. so I thought that was enough. The dr. said as winter goes by and a ton of people are getting the flu, then I could always bring them in and get the shot.

10. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

no flu shots here either! my doc doesn't believe in them unless the kids are at risk...

11. bridget nanette

bridget nanette Well-Known Member

We got flu shots last year and we were horribly sick. I decided I'm not going to get it this year either.

Bridget

12. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Well-Known Member

I've never had one, although I have had the flu a few times. I'm not getting it for the guys, I'll keep an eye on how many people get sick.

13. LmSjt915

LmSjt915 Well-Known Member

No, we dont get them here either, never have and never will.

14. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

We aren't getting them this year. Now that the twins aren't babies anymore, we don't have anyone at risk of major complications so I decided not to this year.

15. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

No flu shots here either.

16. micheleinohio

micheleinohio Well-Known Member

We've never done them and probably won't this year either. My boy's pedi made us order them like 6 months early the first year and I was late. I called the next day and they said they'd see if any extra but then they never did or didn't tell me about them. I asked the dr. if he thought it would be a problem and he said..."It's the flu, I'm sure they'll be fine most of us have done fine for years without the shot." Since then I've never really bothered and although they did get a mild case of the flu last year it wasn't bad at all and so I probably won't this year either. So they are 4 and have never had it.

17. Disney747

Disney747 Well-Known Member

WE are passing this year. The last 2 winters I did get it for the boys, but decided not to this year. I have not had the shot in like 15 years and only had the flu once. That was as a teen and my whole family had it for over a week and I had it for 2-3 days.

18. 2scoops

2scoops Well-Known Member

I have never gotten it myself and they haven't gotten it either. The pedi didnt' recommend it so we didn't do it.

19. all4megan_kayleigh

all4megan_kayleigh Well-Known Member

I've never had a flu shot......or the flu, knock on wood. My girls have had one flu shot, and won't be getting one this year.

20. stephe

stephe Well-Known Member

Dh and I get them free at work but I do not let the boys get them yet.

21. PRJP

PRJP Well-Known Member

I have never gotton one for myself, my boys got once...but I think I was guilted into it from the dr. I will not likely get one for the boys

22. Debb-i

Debb-i Well-Known Member

I got the boys flu shots back in October. It is recommended for all kids under the age of 5yrs old.

Last winter, a close friend's son (almost 3yrs at the time) who was not vaccinated got the flu. He ended up in the hospital for over a week ...very ill. That sold me!!!

I never get a flu shot but now I'm second guessing myself. My sister who is a 3rd grade school teacher (young and very healthy) got the flu 2 weeks ago and has been down and out since. She told me...to run...not walk to get a flu shot. She is kicking herself for not doing something so simple. Keep it in mind!!!

23. Moms2NTwins

Moms2NTwins Well-Known Member

[SIZE=12pt]the twins got theirs in '05 and '06 but I think we might skip out on them this year. [/SIZE]

24. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

Our Perinatologist said that we needed them...and anyone that is going to come into close contact with the babies, being that they are going to be born sometime between now and January. Also with them most likely going to be in the NICU. He wanted all of us to have them...so we did! Even the grandparents...I told them if they didn't get them...that we would see them in APRIL! that got their attention.

Good luck,

Missy

25. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

Mine have not gotten the flu shot. I have gotten it in the past and every year I got it I had the flu very bad. The years I did not get the shot-- never got the flu. Not the most scientific study... but that is our decision for this year I guess.

26. kristie75

kristie75 Well-Known Member

Those of you who aren't giving your kids the shot, are your pedi's recommending it?

One of our girls is allergic to eggs so no flu shot for her this year. My other daughter got the shot at the pedi's recommendation at her 15 month appt (it was given along with the other vacs). The ped recommended that my dh and I get our flu shot, especially since our one daughter is not vaccinated. However, we all got outrageously sick right after getting our shots last year, so based on our own experience, my dh and I aren't rushing down to the doctor to get the shot.

27. LmSjt915

LmSjt915 Well-Known Member

Ours didn't even mention them, but then again we don't vaccinate at all so she just smiled and said "No shots, right?". ;)

28. R2cuties

R2cuties Well-Known Member

We have but decided not to for the girls this year. Just too much info I received from a nurse/friend.

29. twiceblessedin06

twiceblessedin06 Well-Known Member

I would like to, but the doc said it would be $25 each. We don't have that right now. Seeing some of your replies makes me not feel so bad about not doing it, though.

30. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

All of us got our flu shots again this year. Having had the flu about 9 years ago, I don't want to ever be that sick again. I know that getting the flu shot doesn't mean that we won't get another form of the flu, but for me I like the protection it offers. Also, since P and P are in a morning preschool program they are exposed to even more germs.

31. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

We dont vaccinate for anything and our doctor is very supportive, so no, she nevers says anything about them.

32. MARRIED5

MARRIED5 Member

Hi we don't get the flu shot either, we all hace never gotten the flu shot from all I the people I know that gets the shot they always get the flu? We went for 15 mth chkup yestday and ped reccommended but I declined. We just pray that none of us gets it.

33. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

YES, we all got our flu shots!!

I am a pediatric RN and often exposed to influenza. So therefore my husband and son's are also at risk. I got influenza once two years ago and it was horrible. I was so sick I couldn't get out of bed - fever, chills, bad cough, ect. At the risk of souding rude, I think many people have a lot of misinformation about the shot. The flu shot is for INFLUENZA, NOT the "stomach flu" as many pepole think it is. I think many people who are not getting the shots on this forum might think it's for the stomach flu because many of you mentioned you have had it several times before even though you got the shot. MOST people don't get influenza several times!!! It is one little shot and saves many people from serious complicated flu. It is definatly recommended for high risk patients (elderly, small children, those with respitory or heart issues, ect). The flu shot is made each year and attempts to predict what strain will come out this year, but often the virus can change. However, the shot still protects you against the main forums. So you can still get the flu shot and still get influenza, but it is a lot less common due to the protection you get from the vaccine.

Just take one look at the floor I work on and you see many small children sick and hospitalized needing oxygen, nebs, antiviral medications - and you would know that a tiny prick is worth it. I know that is not the common oppinion on this thread. But seriously, a shot that your kids won't remember at all down the road could keep them healthy all winter and avoid influenza. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

34. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

It isnt the "tiny prick they wont remember" that is the problem, its the ingrediants in them that we avoid.

35. Debb-i

Debb-i Well-Known Member

QUOTE(angie7 @ Nov 17 2007, 12:22 PM) [snapback]500090[/snapback]
    It isnt the "tiny prick they wont remember" that is the problem, its the ingrediants in them that we avoid.

I assume you are referring to the preservative "thimerosal". If you have ANY doubts about that (even though there has never been any conclusive scientific data on any relationship), you can easily request a "thimersol-free" influenza vaccine. I believe in children under 3yrs, it is automatically given anyway.

I so agree with Amy A!!! My DH is a physician and we have many physicians/nursing friends and family. After speaking to many well read medical professionals/experts on this subject, I have no doubts or fears on vaccinating for influenza or any other vaccine. I'm sort of taken back on how many people in this forum avoid vaccinating. That is your choice but I certainly feel differently. I'm happy to be living in the age modern medicine that prevents my children from contracting diseases that killed so many in generations passed.

Influenza can be very serious for young children and kids do die from it. For DH and I, it's something that we personally feel is the best choice for our children. But to each their own.