Anyone else 3rd tri having trouble keeping food down?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by khendrix, Nov 27, 2006.

1. khendrix

khendrix Well-Known Member

I am 29 weeks, and for the past 2-3 weeks I am having trouble keeping food down at night. About an hour or a little less after I go to bed at night, I have to get up and go throw up. This is weird! I don't feel nauseous. I just have to throw up. It's like my food has nowhere to go.

I'm just curious if anyone else is going through this and wondering what this could be.

???

2. khendrix

I am 29 weeks, and for the past 2-3 weeks I am having trouble keeping food down at night. About an hour or a little less after I go to bed at night, I have to get up and go throw up. This is weird! I don't feel nauseous. I just have to throw up. It's like my food has nowhere to go.

I'm just curious if anyone else is going through this and wondering what this could be.

???

3. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

I'm not having a problem keeping food down but all of a sudden I'm having a hard time swallowing pills??? It's like they get stuck in my throat and I feel that lump where it won't go down. I can't eat as much as I used to, but I'm still doing OK in the food department.

4. sse02

sse02 Well-Known Member

That's happened to me once. I woke up and my mouth was already watering and I couldn't make it to the bathroom. I've been having acid reflux and when I lay down it's worse. You aren't alone! I'm going to talk to them at my OB appt tomorrow - Pepcid AC isn't doing the trick!

5. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I havn't thrown up - but I find that I can't eat nearly as much as I used to - and if I eat a little too much I feel like I could
    barf!!

6. khendrix

I've been having acid reflux and when I lay down it's worse. You aren't alone! I'm going to talk to them at my OB appt tomorrow - Pepcid AC isn't doing the trick![/QUOTE]

Ask your doctor for Nexium. That's what mine gave me, and the reflux has been much better. Of course, that was before I was throwing up all the time. ??? The reflux is still better, though.

7. socalkristi

socalkristi Well-Known Member

I have been sick this entire pregnancy but I found if I did not eat anything after 3 or 4 I would not throw up in the evening. It was hard not eating but so worth not getting sick. I would talk to your Dr about it at your next apt. Your stomache is so smooshed that my Dr said it can only hold a few bites at a time.

8. geaemama

geaemama Well-Known Member

I had the same thing. For me, the last four days I was pregnant I kept nothing down - there just wasn't room (I also stopped having BM's!)

I would love to say it will get better, but for me it didn't get better until after I delivered.

Angel

9. momlissa

momlissa Well-Known Member

I have this problem as well, usually at dinnertime. I often throw up my dinner, so I have to make sure I eat a lot during the day. I am taking Zantac 75 twice a day, but my peri said that he'd prescribe something stronger if I need it. I think I may take him up on that as I suspect this is going to get worse before it gets better.

10. ReallyTiredMom

ReallyTiredMom Well-Known Member

Well, I can't say I am having the exact same issue - but lately I have noticed that after I eat or drink a substantial amount of water, I will cough/regurgitate some back up. So, not totally throwing up, but definitely having a little 'back up' issue. I have been trying to eat less, especially later in the day. Just this past week, too, I have noticed that my appetite isn't nearly as robust. I chalked it up to running out of room, too! But if you are throwing up consistently, I would defintiely talk to your DR - because the nutrients you need to take in to grow those little babies is so important. Good luck!

11. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

OK, it was 2 in the morning when I read this post and I don't know what I thought it said. Sleep deprivation!!!

I haven't had what you are dealing with where you have to throw up, but I do get that feeling if I eat later at night and then lay down that the food is just kind of "sitting there" ... I used to get fierce acid reflux with acidy stuff coming up late at night ... now I take Pepcid AC and that is actually helping. I did get an Rx for Nexium because nothing OTC was working - the doc said Nexium is so safe they give it to infants to help them with acid reflux - but my stupid insurance didn't cover it. I grabbed Pepcid AC after learning I couldn't get the nexium (and almost crying) and while everything else failed, this stuff works for me and heartburn/acid reflux isn't an issue for me anymore.

Definitely talk to your doc about it - there are safe meds you can take to help!

12. kimber074

kimber074 Well-Known Member

Zantac was the only thing that worked for me with my first pregnancy. Maybe a protein shake in the evening instead of a full meal might help.

13. khendrix

Thanks for the advice. It's nice to know I'm not alone. It sounds like we are all having the same problem.

I called the OB today, and she referred me to a gastroenterologist. He actually saw me today! I couldn't believe it. Basically, I am to continue with the Nexium, but I'm not supposed to eat after 5:00. He also wants me to prop the head of my bed 6 inches. I go back in two weeks. If these options don't help, I'm going to have to get an upper scope done. Yuck! I certainly don't want that while pg.

He thinks the Nexium is taking away all the acid in my stomach, but it doesn't help the valve at the end of the esophagus. So, now, instead of acid reflux, I'm actually throwing up food that is backing up. How gross!

I think this is another thing we have to deal with until delivery. How many more things will there be?????

14. Rockmama

Rockmama Member

This is my first post but I had to pipe up because I have had acid-induced asthma for a couple of years now. It's not surprising that the symptoms have been getting worse for me, so here's what has helped me. Protonix prescripion plus Zantac 150 2x a day (per my doc), and sleeping with my upper body elevated as much as I can stand.

Insurance doesn't like to cover Nexium because the earlier version, Prilosec, is available OTC. You might ask for Protonix, since it is also a proton pump inhibitor and your insurance might allow it.

Hope you feel better!
    Michele