Anyone else have a previous miscarriage and live in fear of losing your twins?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by TiffanyRH, Jul 9, 2012.

1. TiffanyRH

TiffanyRH Active Member

Hey all,
    I shared my story when I introduced myself a while back but We have a 4 year old daughter with cerebal palsy, she is our angel. We got pregnant in Dec and lost the baby in Feb or thats when I found out,The baby stopped growing at 6 weeks. We are currently a little over 9 weeks with twins. While I am elated, I also live in fear everyday of losing them. I feel like this previous miscarriage is taking so much joy away from me, because I am so scared. My dr told me once I go in This Thurs for my 3rd ultrasound (I have already heard the heartbeats at 6 and 8 weeks) at 10 weeks, the chance of miscarriage goes WAY WAY down in twins so that will be a big milestone. I keep saying if I can just make it out of the 1st trimester I will feel so much better, but now that he tells me to look foward to the 10 week mark I am. I know that is just a few days away, but I am so fearful. My morning sickness was HORRIBLE from week 6-8. now I still get sick but its more in waves than constant. it comes and goes, which scares me. I keep thinking maybe only 1 has made it and thats why I am not as sick. I know its a horrible thought!!!! I hate feeling this way. Anyone else expierence this? So glad for the support I have found here!!!
    Tiffany

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had a mc at 7 weeks then got pregnant with my boys. I had bleeding and it was due to an early us at 7 weeks that we found out there were 2 babies 11 weeks along. I had fear at first but also had a weird calm at the same time. I vividly remember the drive to go get checked out for bleeding- both DH and I were thinking maybe I'd miscarry again. But all of the sudden I knew everything was fine. And it was- my boys are very healthy, ACTIVE almost 3 year olds.

3. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I was worried too. But it's totally natural to feel that way. Try to stay busy and focus on the positives--hearing heartbeats at 8 weeks is an excellent sign that everything is progressing well. It's just a few more days until your next ultrasound, and your doctor is right, if everything is still fine then, you're chances of miscarriage goes way down. Morning sickness waxes and wains and a change in that should not be seen as a signal that there is something wrong.

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had back to back miscarriages before we conceived the twins, and yes, most of their pregnancy I was in a state of worry. But, for me, I knew I had to "Let go and Let God". I knew I would either keep the pregnancy and go on to have healthy babies, or not, and nothing I could do would change that. When I felt myself start to worry, I prayed about it. And it worked most of the time.

I did breath a huge sigh of relief once we hit the second trimester and the rest of the pregnancy was a bit easier to handle.

Hang in there. The odds are great that you'll go on to have a couple of happy, healthy babies in 6 months or so! :hug:

5. DannyT

DannyT Well-Known Member

We lost an angel last year at 9 weeks after YEARS of trying and finally a successful fertility experience. I was very lucky and immediately got pregnant again and was TERRIFIED till I passed my loss date.

I met a wonderful OB I'm seeing who has been nothing but positive and supportive. At my 13 week appt (when I transitioned from my RE to my OB with this pregnancy) She sat me down and reminded me...

1 - Pregnancy and birth are normal - even with twins
    2 - Previous loss does not mean likely to lose another - actually your changes are less for a second loss unless you have had multiple losses
    3 - The more positive and assured I was in myself the better for the twins.

I am now 29 and 1/2 weeks and other than shortness of breath (which is totally normal at this point) have had no complications. There is nothing I can tell you to take away that anxiety but enjoy this time in your pregnancy. I wish I had focused more on the great parts instead of worrying about what I couldn't control.

6. wvtwinmama

wvtwinmama Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I can only respond quickly, as I'm nursing one of my 5 week old twins, but I had to respond. I had 2 miscarriages before conceiving these sweet ones, and was terrified of losing them. I had several complications, including unexplained bleeding that had me convinced I was having another miscarriage. But they were born healthy and huge at 39 weeks 1 day after 16 weeks of bed rest. I know nothing I say can take away your anxiety, but know that a prior miscarriage means very little for a subsequent pregnancy. You will be fine, and will soon enough be as sleep deprived as I am caring for your sweet little ones. Hang in there. :)

7. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:wavey: Me!!

I had a m/c at 14 weeks-took me forever and 2 rounds of clomid to get pregnant again and then found out it was twins which can be high risk...I was a nervous wreck. It was hard to really enjoy the pregnancy, like I should have been able, looking back (since it all went fine) I wish I would have just relaxed and enjoyed it. :grouphug:

8. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I miscarried before I got pregnant with the twins. I was a nervous wreck the first 2 trimesters of my pregnancy. It also didn't help that I bled my whole first trimester with them either. I was a basket case. I know me telling you it well be fine won't help calm your fears. Try and relax and enjoy your pregnancy as much as you can.

9. Elsabe

Elsabe New Member

I know the feeling... Its very comforting to read all these success stories, thank you ladies! I miscarried at 6 weeks exactly three years ago. It was the same week I got my bfp, now 7 weeks ago. At my six week mark I struggled a bit with fear and now at 7.4 weeks I am back to worrying again. It feels so silly as everything has really been going well so far, I dont even have any spotting anymore but still I worry! I wish this jourrney could be easier!

10. tatroj1

tatroj1 Member

I have a history of miscarriages, as we had 2 while trying for our oldest and 1 early miscarriage between our son's. We've been trying for our 3rd child for over a yr now and after 2 miscarriages in a row my new OB(we finally settled after my hubby got out of the Army) decided to run some tests and send me to an RE. I was dx with reccurent miscarriage due to progesterone imbalance. I'm now almost 10 wks pregnant with twins and have been getting progesterone injections to prevent miscarriage. It's the first time I haven't had any cramping, spotting, and more importantly have gotten past 8 weeks since our youngest was born. I was afraid to get excited until my u/s at 9 wks, and until I had gone that long without cramping or spotting. I have endo, so I tend to cramp more early in prengnacy, but the pregnancies where I've miscarried it's been much worse. Now I finally feel like I'm able to be excited and my husband was over the moon at the u/s. I feel like after having our son's the miscarriages haven't impacted me as much, but every one is different. When we lost our first baby at 16 weeks that was terrbly upsetting, and almost more so for my husband. We got pregnant with our oldest son, Logan, before I even had a period after the D&C, and I was nervous and sadly because of that didn't enjoy any of the pregnancy. I excessively worried about SIDS with him and was miserable b/c of it for the first few months of his life. Having our 2nd son was such a blessing b/c it really made me more relaxed and enjoyed his pregnancy and infancy in a way I never did with my oldest. Although Logan was only 12mos when Alex was born. Overall, I feel like there's been more happiness than heart ache for us.

11. mholmes07

mholmes07 Well-Known Member

It is perfectly normal to feel this way!! As others have advised, try to relax and enjoy...

After trying to get pregnant for 8 loooong years, I miscarried at 14 weeks pregnant and was DEVASTATED beyond belief.. I stayed out of work for 2 weeks and just could not go back to work... BUT...I now have twin boys that are 33 months old!!! I was on modified bedrest with them at 20 weeks due to premature labor and was spotting a lot in the beginning. I was TERRIFIED since I wanted these babies SOOO badly! I was on a home monitor to monitor my contractions and was on meds as well..At 37 weeks of pregnancy, I delivered two perfectly healthy baby boys...5'7oz and 6'2oz...no NICU!!

Good luck!! relax and enjoy:)