Anyone else have hemorrhage/hematoma after vaginal delivery?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mcgarry22, Aug 27, 2011.

1. mcgarry22

mcgarry22 Member

I was so happy and proud of myself for giving birth to my two boys vaginally and unmedicated two weeks ago, but right after the second one was born I hemorrhaged and lost half my blood (I tore multiple times inside the vaginal wall, and my OB would sew up one tear only to have another one burst - it was quite an ordeal). Later that night I developed a huge hematoma and they had to do emergency surgery to drain all the blood from it. It seemed to be healing nicely since then, and when I went for a post-partum OB appointment this week she said it looked good. The problem is that the past few days have been hell. I started to feel really sore down there, like I had been punched, and then today it is unbelievably painful and feels like I'm cut and someone has rubbed salt in the wounds, or like I'm being stung by a thousand bees. It doesn't make sense, because it looks normal. I hope this is just the last phase of the recovery process and not the beginning of some kind of chronic pain in that area. I'm really scared, because I can't find much information about this online, but I know that hemorrhaging (and, by extension, maybe hematomas) are not that uncommon with twin births, so I thought I might find some support here. I feel depressed and guilty for not being able to devote all of my attention to my babies because I can't help focusing on how bad I feel.

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would call your OB - it does seem unusual to me that after feeling improvement you would suddenly be feeling less well. Have you noticed any discharge or strong smell? My first thought was the possibility of an infection. Anyway, if it were me, I would want to get it checked out sooner rather than later.

And please, please don't beat yourself up about focusing on your own health right now - you can't be a good mommy if you aren't doing well. So the first step to being able to spend more time with your beautiful babies is getting yourself taken care of. It's important. :hug:

3. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I agree, call your OB. I would think that pain such as that warrants a call.

4. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Rachel, I would give your dr a call. I have hemmoraghed afterwards but I had a d&c so no complications. I did have complications after my first and felt horrible and painful/pressure down there, and developed a blood clot the size of a large grapefruit but once I passed that I was fine. Since you have delivered before you know what is normal to feel. Keep an eye on your temperature as well. Hope you feel better soon!

5. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would call the Dr as well. No experience with it but hoping it is the last stage to recovery. Don't feel guilty...you need to be healthy to be the best mommy you can be!! Keep us updated!

6. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

You have to take care of yourself first so you can take care of your kids. There is no need to feel guilty about that.