Anyone else having mid year doubts?

Discussion in 'General' started by jenn-, Dec 10, 2008.

1. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

So our schooling has been going fairly smoothly this year (well if you discount this morning <_< ). Even still I feel like something just isn't working for us. I don't think DD is retaining ANYTHING. She is able to do the work while the page is in front of her, but if you get away from a subject and come back to it, it is like starting from square 1 again. She is a natural speller, but she has even gotten lazy in that aspect asking me how to spell stuff I know she knows. I do not tell her how to spell them, but she is driving me nuts asking anyways. We use Lifepac 3rd grade math and I am not happy with it any more. They jump from one topic to the other with seemingly no order to it, and then they jump back and she has to "relearn" it all again. I am going to make her finish out these books (it comes in 10 34pg workbooks, and she will be in book 7 on Friday), but then I need to find something better for mastering skills. She is still counting on her fingers for the most basic addition and subtraction. I looked at Singapore math, but even their level 2a looks over her head in comparison. Math U See would just confuse her as the few exercises that use manipulatives in her current book confuses her. She understands how to follow a rule when she has been taught it (well after the millionth time), but understanding the why is not big on her list. Luckily we have worked through all of her math shut down triggers except money. If she sees money on the page, she freaks out and can't remember anything including basic addition. I have already given up on the Spanish curriculum we started with, as she wasn't learning anything from it. It was a pretty weak curriculum choice though, so I wasn't surprised. We have taken a 3 month break from our traditional American history book and explored the history of Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas symbols, and although I have enjoyed it, she needs to go back to her American history book. We took that break because she was getting through it way to fast, but again, if you ask her what she read even five minutes ago her answer is "I don't know" :umm: . She will be done her grammar book in less than a month, but couldn't tell you the difference between a verb and a noun or identify the subject without Mommy asking the "Who? What?" questions to her. Although she has figured out verb agreement fairly well, but the sentences just sound wrong to her if the answer is wrong. I can't blame her though, as her mom hates grammar and didn't understand it until she was in high school, and understanding it is probably an overstatement. I don't know if I want to push on with grammar and try to find another 3rd grade program for the rest of the year and hope she gets more out of it the second time around, or switch to a formal writing program with copy work and such. The science curriculum is nice since it all set up for me, but again ask her what she read about and forget it. I don't think she actually has a reading comprehension issue, but I guess that might be it. Maybe that is what I should focus on for the second half of her year. Argh, this is just so hard making sure she gets what she needs to succeed.

So anyone else in the misery of self doubt with me?

2. Aurie

Aurie Well-Known Member

I always get that way mid year. The beauty of homeschooling is that you can change it pretty easy if it isn't working, right? If it is jumping around, you could very well be jumping right over her head. Maybe try backing up a bit and reviewing, especially if she seems to be losing what you are teaching her.

I never found a math program I liked. My kids responded to most anything I put in front of them math-wise. But I had a hard time teaching from it. So, I just bought a work book and taught them the way I understood it and it made sense to me. I always just used the grammer that came with whatever I purchased. But if you feel you need to change up, I just found this free curriculum online for grammer and writing:

http://www.sfreading.com/resources/ghb.html

3. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I personally don't have a formal grammar program I use, and don't feel the need for it right now. Other than the things you pick up through reading and writing (which I know you do a lot of), I don't know how much is really necessary at that age. I don't remember ever having formal grammar lessons in grade school, and really picked up English grammar by taking German, LOL. Have you looked into MathUSee, other than just knowing that it uses manipulatives? It's one of the most comprehensive programs I've seen, and works because they read, see, touch, write (it's not all manipulatives), say and then repeat. Plus, each lesson has review of previous lessons built right into it, so you don't have that relearning issue. And it builds on each topic in a way that really seems to make sense. In addition, it comes w/ a DVD that has a short lesson (like 3-5 min). You can watch it and then teach her, or let her watch it with you. Sage watches it on her own and usually can do the lessons on her own. The boys watch it with me, and then I answer questions if they have them. So other than taste, it's really teaching them through all their senses and covers all the learning styles. You can get a demo DVD for free to get a feel for what it looks like. I'm not saying it would absolutely work for everyone, but IMO it's a lot different than other programs that use manipulatives.

Is it possible she's retaining lots, but doesn't like being put on the spot? Sage is like that. Tests freak her out (the general standardized one she took last summer had her in a puddle of tears), and I get "I don't know" from her a lot, when I ask her about things. But it's often because she's afraid of being wrong. In casual conversations about things, she'll come up with all kinds of facts that often surprise me. Sometimes she corrects the TV/movies about history she's learned, etc. She knows a lot and is happy to show it, when she doesnt' feel like she's being judged or tested. I still haven't quite figured out the answer to this problem, but I'm stressing less about it.

4. Laura in Alaska

Laura in Alaska Well-Known Member

I don't have mid-year doubts, but I do have some big concerns. We're working through a school district charter school for homeschooling. DS is 18 and he still has a ton of credits to earn before he can get his diploma. He has a ton of credits because he hasn't done much of anything toward school all year. He says over and over how he wants to walk in May like he's supposed to, but I'm not sure he's going to be able to. He knows what a hurdle he's built up for himself with the last 6+ months of laziness. If he doesn't turn it around and actually start working on school with some sort of regularity, there's no way he will finish in time. On the flip side of that, if he does finally get focused, he could easily finish early. His grandparents (XHs folks) are planning to fly up to see him graduate in May. I just hope he manages to pull it together. But, I'm worried for him. At 18, this is all on him. I've developed his curriculum, ordered his materials, given him a syllabus for each "class" and made myself available whenever he needs me. Now, he's the only one who can make this happen. Meanwhile, I'll just keep fretting for him and keep nagging him....not that its really working, but I'm out of ideas at this point.

5. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mac+evie @ Jan 2 2009, 09:02 AM) [snapback]1129864[/snapback]
    I don't have mid-year doubts, but I do have some big concerns. We're working through a school district charter school for homeschooling. DS is 18 and he still has a ton of credits to earn before he can get his diploma. He has a ton of credits because he hasn't done much of anything toward school all year. He says over and over how he wants to walk in May like he's supposed to, but I'm not sure he's going to be able to. He knows what a hurdle he's built up for himself with the last 6+ months of laziness. If he doesn't turn it around and actually start working on school with some sort of regularity, there's no way he will finish in time. On the flip side of that, if he does finally get focused, he could easily finish early. His grandparents (XHs folks) are planning to fly up to see him graduate in May. I just hope he manages to pull it together. But, I'm worried for him. At 18, this is all on him. I've developed his curriculum, ordered his materials, given him a syllabus for each "class" and made myself available whenever he needs me. Now, he's the only one who can make this happen. Meanwhile, I'll just keep fretting for him and keep nagging him....not that its really working, but I'm out of ideas at this point.

Have you sat him down and showed him exactly what had to be done before he could walk? Maybe if you sat with him a helped him create a schedule to show how he can still reach his goal it will get him motivated. Maybe he feels it is pointless to try if he thinks it is unattainable. Just throwing out some ideas. I am sure it is so much more frustrating when you can't just send him to timeout for throwing a fit and not doing his work.

I have worked through some of my doubts and have picked up some new language art books (one reading comprehension and one is a daily paragraph editing). I think those will help strengthen her skills she has been working on so that she will be ready for some 4th grade work next year (how can she already be almost a 4th grader :cry: ). We are going to finish up the math set she has and then try one of the Math U See programs. I think it is Beta level. I watched some of their samples and they seem like they might help her. I am kinda glad they also don't have a grade number on them, this way she won't realize she is going backwards just a bit. I am also going to get the boys going with the Primer level of MUS so hopefully I will start off on the right foot with them. I think I was just feeling the mid year crush, but I am doing a lot better now.

6. mel_michigan

mel_michigan Well-Known Member

We are there. My husband doesn't see that they are learning much because it doesn't take forever each day. I know they are learning but definately in a more relaxed way. That I definately like. I decided to basically ditch my Michigan history for my daughter and found www.homeschooweeklystudies.com instead. I also ordered the one for K and probably will the first grade soon, very inexpensive, fun, yet still cover needed material. :) I have lifepac's and SOS but only for Bible for just that reason. People who don't like them say they jump around to much.

We do use and love singapore math for my younger daughters but they do say that it is hard to move older children into the program. You do need to realize that the grades in Singapore don't correspond with ours? My older DD uses www. Aleks.com instead, loves it, but it is pricey.

We are in the same situation, I can't decide with language arts, my older daughter is using Voyages in English. I am not a grammar person either so I ordered all the books, with the teachers guide and all the answer books when the homeschool buyers co op did a group buy with them. That is the subject I dread the most, reading I can handle, spelling, ok but boy do I hate grammar and writing. I dont know if I could grade some of it without an answer key. LOL

My daughter also didn't learn "anything" in third grade, I think it could definately be the age. Do you do any outside evals.? I have found it handy to check and see where they are. I will be interested to see how my older daughter did on MEAP testing this year, she tested with what would be her public school. I like studyisland.com for that reason. It reviews material with them and gives you an idea of what they are retaining while they enjoy being able to play the games that go with each anser. Trying to get it again this year when taxes come.

All in all I know in my heart that I am still doing what is best for my kids so I try to remember that whenever I have doubts. You are not alone...