Anyone else still on basically all baby food?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MNTwinSquared, Apr 27, 2009.

1. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I know. My 'baby' is a year. He took to solids (baby food) very well. He did not take to crackers/puffs very well. He will eat crackers just fine, but won't even put a manderin orange in his mouth. He won't let me put it in his mouth. Let's just say that yesterday's cake didn't even cross his lips.

Is there anyone else whose babies are still on mainly baby food? I know, keep offering other food, but how, if he won't even put it to his lips!

Any suggestions? Or am I alone? He still hates puffs! Won't even let them cross his lips.

eta: I did make my own baby food. He will eat some peas, but not canned!

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Do you think he'd get excited about using a spoon? I know when we entered the picky eater phase around 14 months, I gave the girls spoons and suddenly they were excited to eat the poison food I served. And when I say they had the spoon, I mean they held the spoon in one hand, and put the food in their mouths with the other hand :rolleyes:

Oh and I still can't convince my girls to try mandarin oranges.

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls are very picky eaters. They didn't touch their birthday cake either! They don't like anything sticky on their fingers and they only like to self-feed. Have you tried cinnamon raisin toast cut up? That was an early favorite around here. Or Mac N Cheese? Mine used to love mac n cheese around 12 months old but now that they only self-feed they don't like it anymore. :rolleyes:

4. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, no. At 9 or 10 months we went to all table foods - their choice not mine. They boycotted the spoon and really anything they couldn't self-feed. We still have jars sitting around unused. They are just in the last month getting to the point where I can spoon feed them something once in while or they will attempt to spoon feed themselves (DISASTER!!) things.

Cheerios were the real turning point for us. They loved them and the picking them up and putting them was half the fun. My kids will eat just about anything at this point though meats other than fish clearly aren't their favorites. I noticed you said you made your own baby food? What about taking something they LOVE in baby food and just leaving it bigger and chunkier for either your to put in, or them to self-feed?

I think you are on the right track - just keep offering. And offer variety.

FWIW... it took my kids awhile to come around to the texture and taste of mandarin oranges, too. It definately wasn't one of their early foods.

5. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

And at 11 months, mine are still only eating oatmeal cereal, Cherrios and their formula. I'm so frustrated with them not being able to eat anything without it causing diaper rash. I don't even plan on making them a cake for their birthday, at least not an extra one for them to play in and eat. However, they are growing just fine.

How is Evan on the growth charts?

6. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

The only baby food they eat is veggies. They want nothing to do with regular carrots or peas, but they will eat baby food with no problem :rolleyes:

The only other way I can get them to eat veggies is if they are freeze-dried, which I still don't understand. I think they look at them as a treat...but I know better. :lol:

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

One of our early favorites for our duo was cheesy bread: buttered bread with melted cheese on top. We have a toaster oven and I still set it to medium so it gets hot enough for the cheese & butter to melt and the bread doesn't get too crunchy. Not sure if that will help your little man. We still supplement with baby food. The only veggies that they will self feed themselves is corn, peas, and green beans...so for them to get veggies, we use baby food.

8. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

Jackie we are STILL only on puree:( I have tried lots of finger foods and Eve has choked on all of it--and Charlotte is "ok" with a mummum and thats it-im frustated and sad for them -they SHOULD be able to handle puffs and stuff but i dont want them to be given the Heimlich every time we eat:(

9. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

QUOTE(pamallhoney @ Apr 27 2009, 01:50 PM) [snapback]1290340[/snapback]
    How is Evan on the growth charts?

He is about 90% for height & about 40% for weight. :D He is tall for his height! He is a tiny bit taller than Clayton was at his age. His dr's appt. is tomorrow.

10. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

I don't know much about picky eating - my kids must be part piglet, I swear. :tomato:

Just wanted to say :bday: to cutie-pie Evan. I would try not to worry too much if I were you - I am sure he will pick up on other foods in time.

11. alexafaeh

alexafaeh Well-Known Member

...my twins were on earth's best stage 2 until almost 1 year, then I tried the 3rd stage and they hated the pureed mixed with junks, they would choke on it. so I just kept feeding them cereal and stage 2....slowly introduced very soft toast bred with cream cheese on it, they still love that! also, avocado is a huge hit...and tons of yogourt....

just take it easy, all kids are different, he's growing good so that's great :) one thing my kids loved, the 1st soup of earth's best.

GL
    alexa

12. kristen2009

kristen2009 New Member

my boys are slowly transitioning out of jarred baby food. We only use organic..usually earths best, sprout, plum, some of the gerber organics..

My bigger twin, Graham will eat auntie annies shells and cheese, garden burgers, black beans, peas, mango

They both eat cheerios, puffs, yogart melts, lil crunchies, etc.

My littler twion, Parker is not keen on regular food, he will eat some garden burger and occasionally the shells and cheese and other stuff but he mainly just squishes it all. They both still love the baby food.

13. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

QUOTE(JicJac @ Apr 27 2009, 04:40 PM) [snapback]1290718[/snapback]
    He is about 90% for height & about 40% for weight. :D He is tall for his height! He is a tiny bit taller than Clayton was at his age. His dr's appt. is tomorrow.

I can't believe this munchkin is a year already!!

My ped hates Puffs so we never offered them. We did offer cheerios and other iron fortified easy/melt in your mouth cereals and crackers. I'd start with some ground up granola in his yogurt (grind it in your blender or coffee grinder) to get him used to texture, then do a little less "grinding" after you think he's comfortable. Every time you feed him put a few cheerios, whole peas, steamed carrots, small bits of whole grain toast or crackers on his tray and leave him for a bit before you start feeding him. Then, feed him slowly while he plays with the stuff on the tray. You may eventually have to play hard ball and let him feel enough hunger to try what's placed on his tray. We have to do this with Greta every once in a while when she's a pill at dinner. She goes without. I'm not sure I'd have tried that at a year, but I do not hesitate now and she doesn't mess around with me as much. Oh, and they hate cake.....

14. ghanigirl

ghanigirl Well-Known Member

Mine are eating mostly table food at dinner, but I still have homemade baby food that is really chunky and I give them that at night. During the day, I still give the sitter baby food and some table food. It is just a pain to "make" extra stuff for my sitter to give the kids when they are just fine eating baby food with her. Fortunately I will be off for the summer (teacher) and we will switch to complete table food (hopefully) in about four weeks.

Don't beat yourself up for still resorting to baby food. Fortunately it is still nutritious and eventually they "should" want to switch over.

15. egoury

egoury Well-Known Member

Natalie will only eat baby food at daycare. For me, she completely refuses. So, she is on all regular food with us. She does love yogurt. One thing that we started with was string cheese. It's a good thing for them to start eating on their own since it's soft and easy to big enough to hold.

16. jjokitty

jjokitty Well-Known Member

Sophie refused to eat anything solid at 1 yr, Avery would eat all kinds of stuff but would easily gag and then projectile vomit. Avery got over her problem with time, and Sophie finally tried some cheese. Now at 18 mo Sophie's favorite thing is cut up green beans. They both eat all kinds of stuff now although I still give some pureed squash and sweet potatoes.