Anyone else with tall, skinny kids?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cjk2002, May 10, 2011.

1. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

We are getting a few days of 80 degree weather so I needed to get my boys some summer clothes. Right now I have to use Dapper Snappers for their pants to hold them up because they need 3T for the length but their waists are much smaller. Their 4T shirts are getting small on them so I got them 24 months for the shorts and 5T in shirts.

I just find it crazy that there is that much of a difference between their shirt size and waist.

It gets hard at times especially when I see outfits. There is no way I can buy them because they'll either swim in the pants or the shirts will be too small.

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The sizing on my two drives me crazy! Anthony is short, poor kid. He could probably wear 18 month shorts! I bought 3T for Nicholas, and Anthony will probably wear the 2T from last summer. As for shirts, I am finding that the 3T shirts are getting too short on Nicholas, so I started buying him 4T. Anthony could get away with most 2T shirts, but I bought him 3T and he swims in some of them. Nicholas is good for 3T pants, but I need the adjustable waists. Anthony is just fitting into 2T pants, and he too needs the adjustable waists. Without them, the pants would be on the ground for both of them!

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

A&R are tall and skinny. A is 43.5 inches and 32 pounds, R is 42.5 inches and 33 pounds, they're growing out of their 4T stuff already. Yes, the same 4T stuff I asked for at xmas time because they were just going into it. So all the tshirts that we got? Too short. The pants? Above their ankles now. Thank goodness for shorts! (And then there is the socks/shoes situation.)

I get all pants for both in adjustable waists. Alice can wear dresses (and she likes to wear them thankfully!) and Royce can wear shorts. Royce should wear a 5 in shirts but I just can't bring myself to go to that size yet. It's the last little bit of babyness ya know? So we fight with his shirts, either they don't fit over his head or they don't cover his stomach.

And those heights above? Yeah, that was at the beginning of the latest growth spurt. And they're not done yet. Two bowls of cereal for dinner last night plus a banana and a large glass of milk. Each. Sheesh.

4. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

You may want to try kids sizes instead of toddler sizes. I found that the toddler sized clothing is a bit wider for a diaper. AND, once you get to 4 and up, you can also get "slims". Although, slim isn't what it used to be. Slims are more average and average resembles a smaller husky. But nonetheless slims should help a bit, especially if they have an adjustable waist too.
    All my guys are skinny, not tall though. So I've had to search for 10 years for slim clothes, LOL.

Edited to add: I just looked at an email I received from Children's place and their matchable shorts seem to have a real drawstring in the waist. Here's the link. http://www.childrensplace.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10001_-1_714605_155085_26601%7C72469%7C166151_boy%7Coutfits%7Cmatchables_boy

1 person likes this.
  5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with DD. It really depends on the brand though... She's 60% height and 10% weight. 2T shirts still fit and she wears 24m/2T pants and shorts, although they would probably fall down without a diaper... Another reason I'm in no rush to potty train!

6. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That's Timothy. I think I got 3-4 years out of 24 month shorts. I also sewed tucks into the waist and let them out as needed. I finally got rid of them when the distance from the crotch to the waist was too short and his underwear was sticking out.

I really, really like Childrens Place for getting clothes. Timothy needed a few more pairs of shorts and everything I looked at yesterday was either a drawstring or button adjustable waist. He doesn't actually mess with the drawstrings. We find a spot where it'll stay up and he can pull them up and down. And most of the adjustable waist shorts had no buttons or zippers. They were all elastic with button adjustable.

Marissa

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two are wearing 3T-4T shirts and depending on the brand of pants can wear 24 months to 2T. There are a few 3T pants that DS can fit but a majority of 3T pants that do not have the adjustable waist, I have to roll over the waist a few times. I really have a hard time asking for clothes for the kids because I am never sure of their size :faint:

8. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

My guys grow *completely* unevenly. Last year at this time I bought them 2T tops (they were just over 18 months) because anything smaller was too short in the torso, but they still wore 12 month pants. :wacko: They were proportioned like little apes! :lol: They've grown probably 4-6 inches in the last year, almost 100% of it in the legs, so they now wear the *same* 2T tops from last year, but now fit into 2T pants for length, as long as we get adjustable waist and tighten them as far as they will go.

To top it off, I was going through some old baby stuff and found their 6 month American Apparel karate pants. They're super cute, so for a lark I tried them on Nate. Sure enough, they fit in the waist, so I saved them to wear as play shorts! :rofl:

As far as matching sets go....fuggedaboutit! <_<

9. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

I just complained on Facebook about this very thing. I just bought 24 month shorts and have to take them back because they are too big. My three-year-old girls will be wearing 18 month shorts this summer. They wear 3T shirts. It's crazy. I've never heard of dapper snappers. I'm excited to check those out. We usually just wear pants that are way to short because they fall right off their little butts if I get ones that actually fit for length.

10. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I heard about them here well over a year ago and they have been wearing them ever since. They only work with pants/shorts that have belt loops.

At least with shorts, length does not matter so I can go with elastic waistbands which are much cheaper.

11. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I have become the master of putting little ruffles on the bottom of my daughters' pant legs because they're so tall and skinny. Piper can still fit in 2T pants, except they stop at mid calf. 3Ts will stay up, but are still too short. 4Ts fall down even if they're adjustable waist but are the right length. I tried taking in the waists of her pants but I don't have the sewing skills. So I have taken a bunch of old 2T and 3T pants and attached 3 inch ruffles to the bottom. I got the ruffle fabric at Joann Fabric in several different colors, so everything coordinates.

My girls just weighed themselves this morning... Cricket is 42.5 inches tall and 34 pounds. Piper is 42.5 inches tall and 31 pounds.

I'm really excited for summer because they can wear 2T and 3T Bermuda style shorts and they'll look regular on them!

12. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

We are quirky, too. The boys are for the first time ever almost in the same size. Right now 4T shirts are about the right length, but the shoulder seams are halfway to their elbows. 3T shorts are the right length, but 4 inches too big in the waist. Even with the adjustable ones they fall off when they run if they don't hold them or I don't pin them up. Drives me nuts. Last summer we were in 3T shirts and 12-18mo shorts.

13. hannahshope

hannahshope Well-Known Member

Same here skinny skinny!!!! 3 in July and weigh 24 and 29 lbs. Tooth picks. They will be glad someday !!!:). Any body else have similar weights on 3 year olds!??! H

14. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

At 3 DD was 25.5lb and DS 28lb. She's 1.5 inch taller than him though, so you can imagine. There is absolutely no fat on her except on her cheeks still, her thighs and her butt!

15. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Actually, my guys are turning 4 this week and haven't even surpassed the 28 lb mark.

16. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

yeah most of the clothes my kids have is adjustable waists or I've safety pinned some "tucks" in the front or sewn them somehow to make them skinnier.

just remember that any of the clothing for "months" are designed for a diaper. I have to laugh a favorite pair of jean shorts my ds wears is a 12-18 mo pair! He just turned 3 yrs. The 2T or 3T clothing is much skinnier. though someone made the comment one time that the T clothing is made for diapers and the plaie 2 or 3 sizes would be for without... but I haven't found any of those I guess.

17. sruth

sruth Well-Known Member

I was happy that my girls were able to wear their summer clothes from last year :) but their shirts are a little shorter. I just bought them 2T pants/crops/shorts and 3T shirts. They are 95% for height and 10% for weight. I had the same problem as a kid, my mother would have to buy the next size up and then take in the waste! My DH was just commenting that the widest part of my DD's legs were her knees! I hope these kids fill out :)