Anyone else's baby get gassy when switched to whole milk?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ca2pa2005, Dec 23, 2008.

1. ca2pa2005

ca2pa2005 Well-Known Member

Over the past two weeks I have been introducing whole milk to my girls. I started giving it to them in sippy cups during meal times and started to mix it in with formula in their bottles. Up until that point they had eaten dairy products cheese, yogurt, etc without issue. It seems like ever since I started my dd has been having lots of gas. Not so much a problem or noticeable during the day but at night she wakes up once or twice passing gas. Poor thing, I don't know what to do. I am wondering if it is the milk or maybe just drinking more from a sippy she is somehow taking in more air. Other dd not a problem. Not sure what I should do. Any advice? Before this she was on Similac Advance. I am wondering if maybe she is lactose intolerant...

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

My girls were VERY gassy and started spitting up when I tried to go cold turkey to milk. I had to go very slowly and mix with formula and wait until they stopped throwing up before upping the milk/formula ratio. It took about 2 months before we were finally on all milk and now they have no issues. I'm not saying this is your situation, but just thought I'd share a success story of introducing milk very very slowly. GL!

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

R never farted before whole milk, now he'll just sit there in baby jail, squat, fart, and laugh.

/sigh, at least he's pooping now without help.

4. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

You may have to do the formula milk ratio longer. :( I think they should be ok after a while, esp. if other diary products don't bother him :hug: I hope it gets better soon.

5. ca2pa2005

Thank you for the responses. Last night was just a bad gassy night for dd. Not knowing what to do, today I didn't do any milk and just regular formula. She still had some gas today but waiting to see how tonight goes. I may try doing the milk/formula mix longer as pp suggested.

6. chocomilko

chocomilko Well-Known Member

glad you wrote this. I am getting ready to make the transition. Now I know to start off slowly. I was just going to go cold turkey. I think that is what i did with my 5 year old but don't really remember.

7. jdio33

jdio33 Well-Known Member

We had tons of bad nights with Logan getting up sreaming bloody murder. It even scared me a few times. Most of the time he would stop after he passed gas a few times. Like you it wasn't an issue during the day.
    We took him to the doctors and she said it could be the milk and to try half water half milk at night for his bottle. We have been doing that and we harly ever have a bad night anymore.
    Good luck! It's hard to figure these things out!

8. ca2pa2005

QUOTE(jdio33 @ Dec 27 2008, 07:04 PM) [snapback]1123333[/snapback]
    We had tons of bad nights with Logan getting up sreaming bloody murder. It even scared me a few times. Most of the time he would stop after he passed gas a few times. Like you it wasn't an issue during the day.
    We took him to the doctors and she said it could be the milk and to try half water half milk at night for his bottle. We have been doing that and we harly ever have a bad night anymore.
    Good luck! It's hard to figure these things out!

That is great advice. I think I may try that out.

9. jdio33

jdio33 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ca2pa2005 @ Dec 28 2008, 06:10 PM) [snapback]1124067[/snapback]
    That is great advice. I think I may try that out.

I'm so happy I could be of some help! Hope it helps! :)