anyone else's kids still do this?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by fuchsiagroan, Oct 17, 2011.

1. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Here is the normal person thing to do: when you get hungry, figure out that you're hungry, and eat something.

Here is what my kids do: when you get hungry, fight with your twin and scream and cry and throw tantrums and refuse to eat anything, even your favorite foods.

Of course, we've tried giving them food before it gets to that point, both by serving meals and by leaving things out on the table for them to nibble on. Does it work? NOOOOOOOOOOO!

And they are not 2 year olds anymore. They're more than halfway to 5. :headbang:

Anyone else?

2. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Yeah, at 6, my oldest still gets cranky when he is hungry. I think it takes a while for them to learn not to be that way.

3. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

My Dad and I both have this issue! LOL I actually have to think about whether or not I'm hungry to realize that I am very hungry.

4. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Yup, I'm the same way. I think it's a personality thing. I (and I've been this way since I was small) get into whatever I'm working on, be is play or a task, with a single-minded focus and will put my own needs on the backburner until I've completed whatever it is. I have hypoglycemia as well, so I've had to work hard over the years to recognize signs of hunger or low blood sugar. My mom says it was especially tough when I was little because I wouldn't want to "miss" anything by stopping to eat and would be overhungry and cranky, then refuse to eat.

Maybe try stopping all activity and putting things away to eat so that they're not distracted by what they'd rather be doing? That's more or less what I still have to do as an adult. ;)

5. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

With my two it's more like get hungry, refuse to eat what is offered, throw a fit because you want a cookie or junk food only.

:faint:

6. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes! Or just the "I don't like __________" when they ate whatever it was the day before. Especially when they dislike Macaroni and Cheese. Last night, I told Alice if she wasn't going to eat what was offered for dinner, she could go get her pajamas and go to bed. She did. And passed out. So I'm sure she was doubly hungry this morning.

7. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My daughter, when really hungry will have a meltdown. She is 6. We try not to give them any snacks for an hour before we eat supper. Lately, she is barely eating anything and it drives me crazy. It's not as if she is grazing. For example, last night she ate a little serving of french fries and about a quarter of her hamburger. This morning I don't think she even ate half a bowl of cheerios. Other days she can't get the food down fast enough. That makes it hard to know how much to give her. So, your dd's behavior sounds pretty normal. When you know she is hungry, try to get her to associate food with what she is feeling.

8. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Oh heck yes. Cricket is a master of freaking out when she hasn't eaten enough. It actually runs in my family to some extent. I need to eat every few hours or else the world starts to look gloomy. And I remember my brother being 12 and a total pain in the rear when travelling because he wasn't getting fed regularly enough. I suspect it's related to blood sugar drops.

9. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two will get cranky and whiney when they are hungry. And they are famous for eating one thing one day and not liking it the next time it's served. Very frustrating.

10. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I'm like this! I can be quite annoying when I'm hungry, and when I'm too hungry its like I'm so hungry I can't decide what to eat and nothing sounds appetizing.