Anyone else's twins CONTANTLY sick?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by desolation_anonymous, May 17, 2010.

1. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

Ok, their doctor 1st said 7/8 viral illnesses a year. Then she said can be a lot more with daycare. It started leveling off a little after being at their 1st daycare for a year, but then she moved and now they have a new daycare w/more kids... so still sick all the time.

Thought it was leveling off, then I realized when they called today this is the THIRD time in 4 weeks they've had fevers. This has been about normal (or more so) since February. And it's spring- when whether is warmer and theyre's supposed to be less going around...

so they've had less serious illness (no pneumonia or flu for a few months) but still, isn't this a bit much? Or or other kids the same age in daycare going through this?

Is this still normal for toddlers?

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think we've hit our 7-8 virii since January.

Several colds, and a couple of stomach bugs for the kiddos. And of course we adults got sick too.

3. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

We aren't in daycare but we go and do stuff w/ other kids, (gym daycare, playgroups, indoor parks, outdoor parks, you name it) every day), so we are sick w/ colds CONSTANTLY. It's annoying but pretty much constant. It's normal. I figure it's better to get it over w/ now.

Don't worry. It's all part of being a kid and totally normal :) It's bothersome, for sure, but completely normal.

4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

It sure seems like it. :(

5. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

We have in-home care for my guys, and they *still* get random fevers, colds, runny noses, etc. at least once a month. :pardon: I think it's totally normal and helps to build up their immune system. It's a drag, but it may mean that they are healthier in the long-run. :good:

6. trudyhm@att.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

We have in-home care and we don't get out a whole lot, and mine have been sick for the last month straight going from the stomach flu, to strep, to ear infections, to colds with coughs, back to ear infections, etc. It is miserable for us all! I never got sick before the babies and now I catch most of what they have - ugh! We were healthy most of the winter but we've had our 7 viruses easy in the last month.

7. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I think that sounds normal for daycare--sad but normal. It's one of the main reasons mine will be going to pre-school before K because then they will build up their immune system then and not miss a ton of K.
    My bf runs a pre-school and she hardly ever gets sick and the same goes for her kids because they are just immune to everything. I hope Summer is better for you guys!

8. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I totally agree, I used to work in a pediatrician's office and was constantly exposed to illnesses, after the initial 6 months of miserableness, I wasn't sick (except for the annual flu) until 2006. That was 12 years!!

9. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

YES!! Mine started a Kids Day Out program in November and we constantly have something.

I just got over the worst case of stomach flu I've ever had.

My hope with the warmer weather things will quiet down a bit and by the time the new school year starts, their immune system will be stronger and we won't get sick as much.

At least we're getting it out of the way now, instead of waiting until they are older.

10. mrschenoweth

mrschenoweth Well-Known Member

Oh yes, it is normal! My babies have been in daycare since they were 4 months. They have had COUNTLESS colds, flu, and ear infections ever since. Seems like my little guy gets sick first (I think due to the fact he is a thumb sucker so he touches germs then inserts the thumb!) then Addison gets it within a week. We've spent a couple hundred of dollars in co-pays last winter between ear infections, ear infection rechecks, and wellness visits. It is tiring, and a BIG pain but I figure by the time they get to kindergarten, they won't miss a day of school (I hope)! :)