Anyone ever see just one baby on first ultrasound ?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Moodyzblu, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

I have a weird suspicion about my dd. She seems to be rather big for 12 weeks and when she uses the baby monitor .. I swear we hear a heart beat on the right and another on the left. She went for an ultrasound in June when she was about 6 weeks and they only saw one baby .. but there was something on the left and the technician said it would go away. Not sure WHAT that was supposed to be .. but there are so many things about this pregnancy that points to twins. Like this morning she said she could feel the baby moving already ... and she is SO hungry.
    I told her i would ask if anyone here had ever been told single and ended up with a double. :)

2. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Um......we were told there was something else and that it would go away....and trust me. It didn't. She is sitting in front of me playing with her dolls. ;)

At 7w3d, there was one heartbeat and one "empty" sac. We went back two weeks later to make sure that it would go away and it turned out I had two healthy babies! Good luck to your daughter. I would want another ultrasound if I was her!!!!!!

2 people like this.
  3. Moodyzblu

Yeah .. see .. thats what I was thinking ! I mean I don't want to freak her out .. and twins are fun and all .. but it's a tough pregnancy and I honestly do hope there is only 1 baby. But I know the signs all too well and she shows many of them.
    She has a level 2 untrasound scheduled next month because of the risk of a heart defect .. but I don't want to wait that long !!

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ooh, how exciting! I would be wondering about that 'something' on the left as well. Can she ask for another appointment to rule out twins? If it's as easy to pick up 2 heartbeats on the doppler they should be able to figure it out fairly easily.

My only other thought about the 2 heartbeats is - could it be her heartbeat she's picking up? I know sometimes that can happen.

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was going to suggest this also. You can also sometimes hear an "echo" of the one baby's heartbeat on doppler as well. But if you're really worried, I'm sure you can request an earlier u/s to confirm. Let us know the results! :)

6. Moodyzblu

I tried to listen earlier and I got 1 heartbeat up above the belly button on the left. But nothing lower. I say it's most likely one .. but the thought of it being two IS pretty exciting. Although she's sort of freaked. She knows what having twins is like !
    I'll be sure to update you guys as soon as I know for sure.

If it IS twins .. then I'll be visiting this forum a LOT .. lol

7. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

I had 2 ultrasounds (one at 6 weeks and one at 9 weeks) that showed ONE baby. Never even saw another sac, shadow, etc. At 18 weeks, lo and behold, TWO babies! Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  8. Lindala25

Lindala25 Well-Known Member

I had one empty sac at just under 6 weeks and a little black stripe that US tech thought might be a subchorionic hemorrhage... my OB had said even before I got it that it might be too early to see a fetal pole so it was repeated one week later and there was two babies with two heartbeats.

1 person likes this.
  9. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

I had one baby at 15 weeks and two at 22 weeks. So most definitely they can miss the second baby, even later in the pregnancy.

2 people like this.
  10. Moodyzblu

15 weeks ?? Thats amazing ! I bet you were SHOCKED .. lol

11. shannon713

shannon713 Active Member

I also was one who had two sonos one at 6-7 weeks and then one at 9 weeks they only saw one baby, then at 14 weeks i had another and there were 2 babies! It finally made sense to me why I was out growing all my clothes so fast and the intensity of my pregnancy symptoms. Its definitely possible!

12. Silly_Putty

Silly_Putty Well-Known Member

Yup. 7 weeks my OB did an u/s and I don't remember exactly what she said about the "other thing" on the ultrasound aside from that it would eventually be reabsorbed. She never called it a sac or anything- like a placental thing I think. Anyway- I decided to do the quad screen after having turned down other previous screening because I figured why not and the results came back elevated so I went to see perinatologist for an ultrasound at 17 weeks to check on that and instead of finding any neural tube problems they found Baby B!

13. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

I had an u/s at 5w4d and the doctor saw one sac. One week later at 6w6d, we had another u/s that showed three heartbeats!!! The third little baby was already measuring a week behind, and we did end up losing the triplet a week later. But just seeing one can definitely happen!

14. monie rose

monie rose Well-Known Member

When does your daughter have another appointment? Maybe they can do another u/s just to make sure. Is she measuring more than she should be?

15. healingamy

healingamy New Member

I had a my first ultrasound at 6 weeks and saw 1 baby - no heartbeat yet. I went back at 8 weeks and found 2 babies with 2 strong heartbeats! Definitely a shock since the pregnancy was a surprise as well! A welcome surprise but a surprise none-the-less! I'd have them check again!

16. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Hey Michelle - any updates? :search: When's her Level II scheduled?

17. SC

SC Well-Known Member

We were told that there was one gestational sac/one baby during the 5th week. During the 6th week they saw two heartbeats in one sac. That was very early on, though. They should certainly be able to tell at this stage, although there are stories of second babies not being seen! Hope she finds out soon one way or the other!

18. Angelfish

Angelfish Active Member

One baby at the 8-week ultrasound - 2 babies at the 12-week one :)

19. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Michelle,

We NEED an update- what's the verdict- 1 or 2???

1 person likes this.