anyone get frustrated with visitors?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by amaliavelasquez, Jan 10, 2009.

1. amaliavelasquez

amaliavelasquez New Member

Hi --

I am interested in people's thoughts on visitors during bedrest. I am currently 32w in the hospital due to being 100% effaced and 1.5 cm dilated. I have been here since 26 weeks.

some visitors are awesome but others not so much. For example, today my sister and mom came in munching a delicious foot long subway sandwich in front of me. They then took off after ten minutes, leaving a trail of olives and crumbs behind them. I mean not just munching, like stuffing it in. she also left her half consumed cappacino in my room. of course, i am petty for finding it annoying, but I did. i was looking at the sandwich like it was manna from heaven. meanwhile my hospital slop had yet to arrive. I mean why bother coming up here for ten minutes just eat in front of me? gross.

other than that... there are people i just don't want to see, and they don't want to take no for an answer. does anyone ever feel that way, like certain people that normally you can take, but just can't on bedrest?

2. jodirdh

jodirdh Well-Known Member

QUOTE(velasquez @ Jan 10 2009, 03:51 PM) [snapback]1141334[/snapback]
    Hi --

I am interested in people's thoughts on visitors during bedrest. I am currently 32w in the hospital due to being 100% effaced and 1.5 cm dilated. I have been here since 26 weeks.

some visitors are awesome but others not so much. For example, today my sister and mom came in munching a delicious foot long subway sandwich in front of me. They then took off after ten minutes, leaving a trail of olives and crumbs behind them. I mean not just munching, like stuffing it in. she also left her half consumed cappacino in my room. of course, i am petty for finding it annoying, but I did. i was looking at the sandwich like it was manna from heaven. meanwhile my hospital slop had yet to arrive. I mean why bother coming up here for ten minutes just eat in front of me? gross.

other than that... there are people i just don't want to see, and they don't want to take no for an answer. does anyone ever feel that way, like certain people that normally you can take, but just can't on bedrest?

your are right !!!!!!
    it was VERY rude of them to do that. (even if it is your mom)
    I can't believe they would bring in that stuff and not bring you ANYTHING!!!! :eek:

3. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Well, I was lucky in that the unit I was in had controlled access. Visitors had to get buzzed in at the nurses station. So if I didn't want to see anyone, I just told the nurses that. They told people I wasn't accepting visitors at that time and that was it.
    As for eating in front of you- that was VERY rude! I can't imagine. I would have been very annoyed too.

Most people who knew me though, knew to call ahead for any food orders I might want! :lol: (I was not on a restricted diet.)

Congrats on making it to 32wks! That's awesome!!

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

QUOTE(velasquez @ Jan 10 2009, 03:51 PM) [snapback]1141334[/snapback]

Yes! Bedrest is so hard, and I was in a perpetual bad mood/state of worry during the 9 weeks that I spent on it....I wasn't really good company!

Hang in there, you are doing such a great thing for your babies. :hug:

5. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

Are u on a restricted diet? if not why didn't they bring the same food for you. yes they should removed their garbage, u don't want to be sitting looking at it. Hang in there.

I was on home bedrest but sometimes people would come and not leave and u had no way of getting away from them, very hard.

6. MomofNickandSuzy

MomofNickandSuzy Active Member

Yes, I remember visitors who just didn't "get it". They think you're on vacation lounging around. I was on bedrest for 15 (out of 33) weeks. It gets so challenging. Finally toward the end I just told people I didn't feel well and asked people not to visit. It just seemed easier.

7. Emily@Home

Emily@Home Well-Known Member

I was on bedrest from 21 weeks until I delivered at 34w1d. The last 7 weeks were in the hospital. So yes, I have some strong feelings about visitors, LOL!

I hated visitors. I hated phone calls.

I loved my closest family members and a couple of friends to come and visit me because they understood when I was tired, anxious, and I didn't feel guilty for crying in front of them. They also would call and ask if there was any food they could bring me, but usually, I was so anxious or stuffed that I could not eat.

But anyone outside of my family mostly got on my nerves. They had no clue what I was going through, and they just seemed like a network of gossip to spread to everyone else how wretched I was, how huge I was, and all that. (Granted, I think I was a little paranoid and just majorly anxious.) I didn't enjoy visits where I had to explain my problems over and over.

I decided to talk to the nurses about it, and like someone else mentioned, my room was on a protected hall where people had to buzz in. Also, my nurses would put a sign on my door, "Please see Nurse's Station before visiting." OR, "Patient Not Accepting Visitors" (actually family members knew I'd have this sign up and they could come in anyway). You could also ask the nurse to put a sign on the door, "Food Not Allowed".

Vent away! I'm sure there is some post in here from last late Spring where I went off on visitors. . . LOL!

8. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

You have been given some great suggestions so far....one thing my nurses did was give me a code word....I would call them, or if they were in there and ask for a "COKE" (I didn't even drink coke during my pregnancy) ;) and my nurse would clear the room! telling them that I have had enough visitors for the time being and the "babies needed their rest"!!

Use the nurses as the bad guys they don't mind at all!

Good luck to you...I spent 28 out of my 33 weeks in bed. You are almost there and are doing a great job.

9. 2boysforus

2boysforus Well-Known Member

Ugh. I can totally relate. I didn't care for visitors when I was in the hospital on bedrest. I just didn't feel good and had zero energy to put into a conversation. My friends would call to arrange a visit and I actually discouraged them b/c I didn't want to deal with it.

I'm sorry you are going through this...it's tough enough being stuck in the same hospital room for weeks on end, and to throw messy family members eating GOOD food on top of it is almost too much.

Hang in there and best of luck to you! :)

10. krisdeb04

krisdeb04 Well-Known Member

At the hospital I'm at when they go to check in at the front desk they call me and ask if I want them to send the person up, so if I don't want to see anyone.....or just that person I just tell them I don't want visitors. As for you mom and sister, that was very rude of them, they could have eaten before they got there or after they left. Or they could have brought you something, even a bag of chips or something. If it was my mom I would say something to her about it to make sure it didn't happen again.

11. Neumsy

Neumsy Well-Known Member

God, bedrest sucks. And as far as the food in front of you....RUDE MUCH? I know what it's like not wanting visitors-my hospitail reception desk accidentally let my XH of all people in to see me. Needless to say, I threw a fit, and it never happened again. Just tell the staff what you want!

12. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I would either say something to your sis or Mom, or maybe have DH do it. That's downright rude! You have every right to be miserable with the attitude that goes along with it!!! (I'm not saying you do, just you have the right) ;) Bedrest STINKS! And to be in the hospital on it is the worst. Your doing a great job keeping those babies safe.