Anyone get scared to death

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by MrsBQ02, Feb 12, 2008.

1. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

So I've been doing some lurking in the 1-4 years forum, and I have to admit, I'm getting awfully scared of what these guys are going to be up to in the days to come!!! Crawling out of cribs, to covering themselves w/ desitin, to bedtime struggles, to running away in two different directions... YIKES! :icon_eek: And I thought it was supposed to get EASIER as they got older!!! So anyone else hoping and praying their LOs stay LITTLE and don't ever grow up?!?!

2. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

LOL! I've got an older DD, so I've been through it once -- and YES, I am petrified at what these two will throw at me as they get older. :lol:

3. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

It's not just you. I looked at the 1-4 board for the first time this week and had to stop before I fell over. There were things I have never considered...

-what activity table to buy?
    -birthday party favors
    -only eating solid food
    -pulling diapers off an peeing all over

Oh man, we're all in for a lot of work! (but it also looks like we're in for a lot of fun too)

4. Joanna Smolko

Joanna Smolko Well-Known Member

Heee! I think every stage has its difficulties, maybe it's best not to anticipate *too* much how hard the next stage will be.

Still, sometimes I look around our house and picture running after two mischievous toddlers, and I feel completely overwhelmed.

5. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

It never gets easier - it just gets different.

Yeah, there are kids coating themselves in Desitin and being toddlers in general BUT they can feed themselves, dress themselves and play fairly independently.

You just trade one thing for another with kids.

Jenny, fearless mother of 3 toddlers.

6. MrsBQ02

QUOTE(Her Royal Jennyness @ Feb 12 2008, 04:55 PM) [snapback]617804[/snapback]

:bow2: Those seem to be very wise words!!

and I'm glad I'm not the only one a little anxious about the impending "excitement!" :lol:

7. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

Oh yes, there is NEVER a dull moment.

It is the funnest I think... when they can SAY mommy I love you, give you hugs and kisses... its the best :wub:

8. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I LOVE the 1-4 age best!! They can be difficult but they are also so sweet, start talking to you, become real little people. Believe me when you're there you won't want to be anywhere else!

9. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It can be scary at times, but it is soooo much fun! I have 3 in that age group now...one 1 year old and 2 just about 3 year olds. We have our moments (like when Nolan thought the creamy baby oil would look "cool" all over his room last week), but there are just the sweetest moments when they say they are each other's best friends, when one says to the other "I love you sooooo much".....
    It's just different, but still so rewarding.

10. JessicaD

JessicaD Well-Known Member

Wow, I haven't lurked yet, but maybe I should to toughen up! haha

I have already been getting nostalgic on my own just thinking how amazing it's been thus far, and HOW QUICKLY it's all going!

11. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I agree with Jenny, it's different. :laughing:
    One thing one has to remember is that the posts are usually about things one needs help with.... a.k.a. "the hard stuff" so it doesn't show all the real joys of having toddlers. :wub: Plus, it doesn't come out all at once the day after their first birthday...it's a process. So don't worry, you won't wake up the day after their bday to babies covered in desitin, jumping out of their cribs while peeing all over the place AND trying to eat a steak. :blink: BUT if it does happen, don't come looking for me. :winking0009:

I just wanted to chime in and say, don't be scared, toddlerhood with twins is an amazing, incredible experience {that helps you lose weight!}

:love0028:

12. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I had to giggle at this thread!!

From 12-18 months (where we are now) does not even compare for me what the beginning months/year was like for me. Yes there are challenges but you can get through them since you are not so sleep deprived!

I am loving this stage! They learn so quickly and are so much fun! I am having a blast and those words never came out of my mouth last year!!!!!!!

13. serranoboys

serranoboys Well-Known Member

QUOTE(JessicaD @ Feb 12 2008, 09:04 PM) [snapback]618338[/snapback]
    Wow, I haven't lurked yet, but maybe I should to toughen up! haha

DON'T DO IT! It's scary :eek:

14. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I love lurking on 1-4! But I like to be able to anticipate things.. So for me its good to know about crib tents (who knew such a thing existed!), and ways to dress your toddler so she can't take off her clothes and diaper in the middle of the night (put the sleeper on backwards.. I would have NEVER thought about that!). I also like reading about the strategies for disciplining two toddlers at once and how to get them to eat well and I LOVE all the threads about the cute things they say! For me its not scary... its exciting to see what is next for us :)

QUOTE(TwinLove @ Feb 12 2008, 04:12 PM) [snapback]618363[/snapback]
    So don't worry, you won't wake up the day after their bday to babies covered in desitin, jumping out of their cribs while peeing all over the place AND trying to eat a steak. :blink: BUT if it does happen, don't come looking for me. :winking0009:

:rotflmbo: :rotflmbo: :rotflmbo: G*d I hope not!!!!

15. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

I get scared to death lurking here...due in 8 weeks and I tell myself each day I won't come to this part of TS and I do and alway regret it lol

Dianna

16. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

I used to feel that way lurking on the FY board while pregnant!!!!!

17. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(TwinLove @ Feb 12 2008, 09:12 PM) [snapback]618363[/snapback]
    So don't worry, you won't wake up the day after their bday to babies covered in desitin, jumping out of their cribs while peeing all over the place AND trying to eat a steak. :blink: BUT if it does happen, don't come looking for me. :winking0009:

oh my god, that is hysterical!!!

18. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Marissa, sorry, I just had to :laughing:

One of the biggest lessons I've learned as a parent is not to look too far ahead. Most things seem MUCH more manageable when they're your own kids, and when you've gotten there gradually. They don't go from 10 months to 2 years in a day! Take a deep breath and take it one day at a time. :)

And yes, I do find this age (with all its challenges) to be much more enjoyable than the first year. In particular, I LOVED 14-22 months or so. Now that they are bona fide toddlers (as opposed to infants who can walk, which is sort of how I felt about the second year), it's a little trickier, but still enormously entertaining.

19. MrsBQ02

QUOTE(TwinLove @ Feb 12 2008, 09:12 PM) [snapback]618363[/snapback]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh my goodness.... that just gave me the best laugh of my day!! Thanks all you "wiser" moms! :friends: And I guess you're all right, I had forgotten, but I too, remember being scared to death of just the "later" part of being pregnant. I had to ban TS time for awhile there! :blush: I suppose I survived this far... :lol:

20. andiemc

andiemc Well-Known Member

QUOTE(serranoboys @ Feb 12 2008, 04:38 PM) [snapback]618422[/snapback]
    DON'T DO IT! It's scary :eek:

EEK! I haven't gone over there either.I am already imagining what it will be like. I try to imagine my girls plus ds running in 3different directions while dh travels! LOL! That should be a blast!!

21. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Speaking of ages 1 - 4 and not wanting babies to grow up - are children ages 1 - 4 as cuddly and affectionate as little babies? I don't know why, but I keep thinking as my babies get older they won't be as affectionate and cuddly as they are now and I hope I am wrong!

Don't laugh if this is a dumb question, I've never been a mom before!

22. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

QUOTE(PgTimesTwo @ Feb 12 2008, 06:57 PM) [snapback]618600[/snapback]
    Speaking of ages 1 - 4 and not wanting babies to grow up - are children ages 1 - 4 as cuddly and affectionate as little babies? I don't know why, but I keep thinking as my babies get older they won't be as affectionate and cuddly as they are now and I hope I am wrong!

I remember thinking the same thing! I remember telling people that I did not want them to get bigger because I loved holding them and being so close to them (although I wanted them to get bigger just to get out of the tough times). Everyone said that I will love each stage that they go through and sure enough I do. So far, I have not said, I wish they were (age) again. Mine are only 18 months but they are loving. Maybe when they get a little older they wont be but I just continue to hug and kiss and squeeze them all day so they begin to learn and think this is something we are supposed to do all the time!!!

23. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Oh, I get totally petrified if I think ahead! I try very hard to avoid 1-4, it just gives me nightmares! :lol:

24. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I'm odd man out here...I used to lurk to see what to look forward to because I couldn't wait to get out of the first year. For me, the Hallelujah Chorus played when my girls turned one!!

Although we are only 5 months past 1, I LOVE this age already. The big frustration for me the first year was communication and now that we are establishing that, it's getting so much easier.

25. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

my 21 month olds will give me a kiss if I ask, give me hugs if I ask for them, and DD will actually come running up to me and yell "kiss kiss" and pucker up - its adorable....I won't lie the whining and frustration at lack of communication has me throwing in the towel some days but its so much fun watching them learn and recognize characters etc...

both my kids know all the Sesame Street characters, half the alphabet and can count to 3!

26. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

QUOTE(PgTimesTwo @ Feb 12 2008, 05:57 PM) [snapback]618600[/snapback]

:acute: Not dumb at all! I used to think it wasn't going to get any better then me holding them and kissing/snuggling with them, but I was so wrong. Now they actually show their love for me and can say it too! :huh: Before I was the one who had to initiate the lovin', now they do it all on their own. And they give great big hugs while saying "mommy" and my ds even starts to clentch his jaw because he loves me oh so much. :wub: DD hangs onto my legs and looks at me with such delight. It gets better. :wub:

27. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

Yes.....terrified, sad, excited all together.

Mine are almost one and they love to come up and give hugs...it's the sweetest thing ever to get two great big hugs.

28. stacyw

stacyw Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Her Royal Jennyness @ Feb 12 2008, 11:55 AM) [snapback]617804[/snapback]

Absolutely true!

29. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

QUOTE(PgTimesTwo @ Feb 12 2008, 10:57 PM) [snapback]618600[/snapback]
    Speaking of ages 1 - 4 and not wanting babies to grow up - are children ages 1 - 4 as cuddly and affectionate as little babies?

In my case, much more so. Granted, you don't get to hold them all the time -- they often start struggling to get away -- but they also give affection on their own initiative. Sarah will coming running up and say "Mama, up!" and then when I pick her up, she just wraps her arms around my neck. And sometimes when Amy is sitting on my lap for story time, she turns around and gazes up at me as if I'm the best mommy ever.

30. marcy874

marcy874 Well-Known Member

While I loved my babies, I was glad to be out of the FY! Its gotten better and better, always new challenges and frustrations of course, but so many good things too. I actually thought it was easier, not harder, once they started walking and were more independent.

QUOTE(PgTimesTwo @ Feb 12 2008, 04:57 PM) [snapback]618600[/snapback]

To me when they were itty bitty I didn't really think of them as cuddly and affectionate. Yes, I held them all the time, but they weren't giving a lot back at that point. Plus, with hormones and always being tired, I didn't really appreciate the newborn phase as much. Its kind of just a blur now. :blink:

Now however, when they see me, they say "Mommy, Mommy" and run to me for hugs and kisses. Alina likes to bring her blanket and sit on your lap and have you cover her up and cuddle with you. Its awesome!!

So don't be scared!!!! Many great things lay ahead!

31. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

QUOTE(PgTimesTwo @ Feb 12 2008, 03:57 PM) [snapback]618600[/snapback]

I think 1-4 aged kids are MORE cuddly and affectionate than FY aged kids. I can hardly get anything done because my 3 yo is hanging off me all day wanting a hug, kiss AND song. Same with the boys. Good thing I like to give out hugs, kisses and songs!