Anyone got a 'Safety Harness' they like

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by marleigh, Apr 12, 2011.

1. marleigh

marleigh Well-Known Member

I decided against the "animal-backpack" type because of their bulk and when the twins go into their stroller, it'd be bulkly and uncomfortable so I'm looking for suggestion on what type of basic style safety harnesses I should get. Anyone got a brand they like or don't like?

Thanks!

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Munchkin safety harness I love these! I didn't want a big bulky backpack one either, I wanted to be able to keep it in my diaper bag. These roll up really small and I keep them in a ziploc bag in my diaper bag. I don't use the wrist strap but the whole chest strap. It has a velcro closure at the back and adjustable shoulder straps. Lifesavers!! I found mine at walmart.

3. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

We got the harnesses with the monkey on the back...and I wish we would have got one without. For starters the little pouch in our monkey is so small its worthless and won't even hold a sippy. We use it to fold up the strap and tuck in there. Also when I started the boys back in daycare last month I knew I would need to rely on harnesses to get them inside the daycare. And like you pointed out they are bulky. However, I didn't want to have to put it on in the parking lot, so our boys still wore their harnesses and I tried to position the monkey head over their shoulder...but they still looked uncomfortable in their car seats. Now that we have been going to daycare for about 5 weeks I no longer put harnesses on them since they pretty much know what direction to head, so its not so much of an issue now. But I just wanted to say I agree with your decision to look for a basic, non-bulky harness :)

4. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I have 3 sets... yeah, the eddie bauer brand we got has the animals, and you could barely put a paci in the back...

I got a random monkey set turquoise & brown from Marshalls with a small backpack, they are nice that you could actually get something in them, the monkey isn't puffy at all, just a design on the backpack.

My mom got them another set (we really thought they were going to be bigger...) but the backpack is actually worthwhile if you want a small backpack. they are "Safe Fit" brand.

here's a link to it. I can pack their lunch and put it in. works great when we go to a theme park and they can carry their own lunch!

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I got the Eddie Bauer monkey and pig backpack. They were not too bulky and there was enough space in the back for the kids to put a little item inside (a small toy or what not).

6. mintpint

mintpint Active Member

[Munchkin safety harness I love these! I didn't want a big bulky backpack one either, I wanted to be able to keep it in my diaper bag. These roll up really small and I keep them in a ziploc bag in my diaper bag. I don't use the wrist strap but the whole chest strap. It has a velcro closure at the back and adjustable shoulder straps. Lifesavers!! I found mine at walmart]

Hi, just wanted to know if you ever experienced any problem with the velcro closure. Does it come off too easily and if your child can open it on her own.

Thanks.

7. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

I think the little animal backpacks are made to look more age-appropriate for older kids who have to use harnesses for whatever reason (they are made to look like the child has a little backpack on instead of a harness). For little kids, just a simple one will do. I have bought 3 harnesses over the years (one with an animal for my ODS, and two simple ones for the twins) and have not yet ended up needing them. But I imagine when you need it, you NEED it, so better safe than sorry!

8. Alanna1

Alanna1 Member

I'm looking for harnesses too. Any other suggestions?

9. mintpint

mintpint Active Member

I also second the Munchkin safety harness. They are really good and don't take much space. I also use the chest strap not the wrist strap. I never experienced any problems with the velcro closure and the girls have never tried to open it on their own.

10. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids never tried to open the velcro, and I can attest to the fact that I can get it on a squirming/screaming/flailing child despite them not wanting to wear it! ;) I still keep my munchkin ones in the truck but haven't needed them in quite awhile.