anyone have a hard time getting rid of baby things?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by newtothis, Jan 29, 2011.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

i just had a mini-meltdown here. my husband sold a highchair that we no longer use and i cried. :( i was so sad. (party because he only got 50 dollars for that and a brand new bumbo). he had to go and get it back and get them back. am i nuts? he got them back and we have no room in my house - no storage....but i still have the bumbo and highchair. should i just suck it up and get rid of them? i dont know whats wrong with me. :unknw:

2. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Why don't you want to get rid of them? Do you plan to have more children, or is it just because you feel like they are growing up too fast? Or maybe it's something else all together?

Personally, I LOVE getting rid of stuff. I am such the opposite of a pack rat, it's not even funny. Sometimes I get rid of things and wish later I still had them! But we are definitely not having any more kids, so I feel safe getting rid of things (swings, bumbo, etc.).

3. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I am a bit of a packrat, and always had a hard time before. But now that I know we're done it's easier. Still, there are some baby clothes that I just can't bring myself to get rid of, because they were special things for special events or made by someone in the family (me or a grandmother). But it does feel good to clear tubs of clothes out. When we knew we wanted more children, I saved all kinds of things, not knowing if we'd have a boy or girl. So now as Spencer or my girlies outgrow stuff, I either sell it or give it to Goodwill... except those few precious things I mentioned.

4. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I am the exact same and I am also DONE with having babies. I have sold/given away everything they are done with or almost done with. I got more than I bargained for with #2 but it got DH his minivan so everyone's happy :).

5. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

If it were me, and if you don't have room for them or need them, I would totally sell them. I can understand certain outfits having special meaning and things of that nature (we have kept everything from the NICU and a few special holiday/birthday outfits), but I'm not very attached to baby gear. In fact, last week I sold our 2 FP space saver high chairs ($25 each) and 2 FP infant-to-toddler rockers ($15 each) and I was doing the happy dance knowing we had $80 and a lot more room in our closets! :)

6. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

I can relate to the feeling you are talking about. I cried when I sold the swings and jumperoo/exersaucers. For me it was about the fact that they were moving on to older stages...I think it just brought the reality to the forefront that they were going to get older whether I wanted to freeze a moment in time or not. :) Doesn't phase me anymore...just those first couple of times...I balled when I held up some of their tiny sleepers from when they were 5 lbs. Still, I kept a couple that were special to me and continue to keep little things here and there to pass on to them. Not much, just favorites of mine that I can pack in a little hope chest some day and bring out a picture of them in it while they look at the actual item. Just sentimental really. I think the feeling is perfectly normal. Nowadays I just want baby crap out of my house the second we are done with it...lol. Hugs mama! You are not alone.

7. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm sad, mostly because I know we are done having kids, that the twins are my last "babies" and that time is passing by way too fast for my liking. But it's also a relief not to have to store things anymore, we have no room in our house for "stuff", and we are finally able to find our closets again! As the twins outgrow toys and clothes, I'm selling them as fast as i can! :)

8. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

We aren't done but I am having the hardest time not keeping two of everything. I am not sure why I need two high chairs in the future but we kept both.

9. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

I too am having a hard time getting rid of baby things. We are done having kids, and a part of me doesn't want to have to store the items anymore. But, the actual process of letting it/them go is hard for me. I'm a very sentimental person though.

10. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I did get misty eyed getting rid of the baby items...especially since I knew that we were not planning on another baby, so there was no need to keep the stuff. I was able to give a lot of their baby stuff to friends who had babies after me, so I think that made the process a little easier.

11. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I sometimes get a little sad, but the sadness generally disappears when I have the money in the bank to finance other things ... and less clutter in my house!! My sister-in-law and I run a twice-a-year kids consignment sale (similar to Just Between Friends) in our town and I usually find myself wishing I was selling MORE of my kids' things, not less.