Anyone have experience with a breech twin?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Paully, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Paully

Paully Member

Hi,

We are 34 weeks, 4 days prego. Baby A (boy) is head down and Baby B (girl) is breech. Do any of you have experience or any information about natural twin birth where one baby is breech? I'm told that as long as Baby A is head down that it shouldn't be a problem to deliver Baby B. Then again, I have read the exact opposite elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When I was pregnant with my twins, depending on which OB in my practice delivered me, if baby A was head down and B was breech, one doctor would still deliver me vaginally. Others in the practice would have done A vaginally and B with a c-section. I think it really depends on the doctor and their comfort level. The doctor who told me that he would still deliver B vaginally told me he was one of the best with breech deliveries. As it turned out, Baby A was breech and I wound up having a c-section anyway.

3. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

My baby A is head down and B is transverse. My OB said I can deliver vaginally as long as A stays head down and he will reach in and get baby B by the feet to deliver him.. or I can opt for a c-section. I had not considered to ask or even find out what other Dr's in the office think or will do. That is a great idea and I guess I better find that out. I really do not want A vaginal and B c-section... I want both one way or the other... If I have the choice!

4. Paully

Paully Member

Thanks for replying. That's another thing I was thinking - there is still the possibility of either of them turning. It would be quite unfortunate if Baby A was delivered vaginally and then Baby B had to be delivered via cesarean. I have watched some breech deliveries on youtube and all of the pulling and such worries me.

5. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

I delivered baby B breech. It does definitely depend on whether your doctor is comfortable with them or not because they will be the one delivering them :) I specifically looked for a doctor who practiced breech delivery because I knew with twins it was a very likely possibility. Even if they are transverse going into labor, once baby A is born, baby B has a lot of room to turn. That's what happened with us. My doctor reached in and grabbed him. It was a little scary for a minute, but the delivery went really well. It took less than 30 seconds once his feet were out to turn his shoulders and push his head out. GL!

6. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

Our Dr. said that when a baby is born breech they come out "stunned" they may not look or respond as well as A right away but bounce back fast and do good. However, that is the main reason we may consider to just do a c-section no matter what if B does not turn... and yes they can still turn. We are doing music therapy to try to turn B. I can not imagine having to recover from a vaginal and a c-section delivery. A lot to consider.

7. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

How big were your babies? I see they were early at 31.5 weeks. My OB would not even consider a vaginal delivery until 32 weeks and the babies being over 3.3 pounds.

8. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

My babies were 3lb10oz & 4lb1oz. I am perfectly confident that my doctor and I made the right birth choice for us.

9. zanetaya

zanetaya Well-Known Member

Congrats on the near-birth of your twins! So fun. Mine are 3 months today and I'm enjoying them more each day. My Baby A was head down the entire pregnancy, and baby B flipped and flopped the whole time! At my 35 week ultrasound both babies were head down. Then at 36 weeks 2 days, while laying in the hospital in labor B flipped breech. I cried!! It happened after they broke Baby A's water....she suddenly had more room and just did a somersault (silly baby). Anyhow, my doc said I had a huge decision to make at that point: I could just opt for a c-section or go for vaginal. The risk being that BAby A could be born vaginally and Baby B may have to come out c-section if she wouldn't turn or her heart couldn't take it. We decided to go for it vaginally and man I'm glad I did!!!!

Baby A, Tenli, came out kicking and screaming as healthy as can be. After she was born I started crying because I was so fearful of a c-section. Well, the doc broke Baby B's water and she came down so fast they didn't even have time to try to turn her. She was born a minute and a half later....BREECH!!! Everything went soooo well...just perfect. Everytime people ask how much time was between them and I answer 1 1/2 minute, they assume it was a c-section. If Baby A paves the way, Baby B's got it easy. :) I delivered them both and never had any stitches or abrasions or anything. 4 days later was shopping at Wal-Mart. :) And my crotch is back to normal even though it seemed at delivery it would never be normal again. HAHAHA!

I say GO FOR IT!!! You never know what will happen, but the risk was worth it to me :)

10. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

My Baby A stayed head down for my entire pregnancy and Baby B flipped between breech and transverse up until the day I delivered (38w 3d). On delivery day she was transverse and once Baby A came out she moved head down and came out easily. I also say depends on your OB but if you have the option to deliver vaginally go for it...lots can happen once Baby A moves out of the way and creates some room!

11. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

Those are great weights! At 31wk 6 days my u/s estimates were baby A 4# 4oz and baby B 3# 11oz. I really want vaginal! Keeping my fingers crossed!

12. lizzbeech

lizzbeech Guest

I haven't read the other replies yet, but can say that my OB has actually told me that he would 'prefer' if baby B IS breech. He said he can easily reach up and "pull legs down" where he can't do that with a head.
    As long as baby A is head down, we will be attempting a vaginal birth. I guess it depends on your delivery dr and if they are comfortable birthing a baby who is breech. But remember, YOU have a say in your health care -- and can refuse a c-section... they can not "force" one on you, even if baby IS breech. So remember that :)

13. KStorey

KStorey Well-Known Member

Like a lot of others we had Baby A head down and Baby B breech. But my two changed position constantly right up to delivery. 37w 4d. We decided to induce because they were both head down (also pre-e signs and a history of BIG babies) and Baby B decided to turn to breech over night. They were both delivered fine. Great agpar scores. The ob just reached in and guided him in the right direction then let me deliver him. I would do this happily if the ob was competent and had full confidence. The ob that actually delivered him was a junior as we were at a teaching hospital. The head ob was there and quietly talked and taught while I delivered. You have to go with what feel right for you. Good luck with you choice. Just wanted to let you know it can be done easily and with no negative effects. In fact we were the most uncomplicated delivery in the hospital that day. All the rest were singletons and had all sorts of issues!!!

14. michelle_m

michelle_m Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to read this. My doctor and I haven't discussed a birth plan in detail yet, but I want to on my next appointment (Monday). However, I know she had a c-section herself because one was breech, and last visit, she told me that 80% of twin births were by c-section - so much higher than what I've heard (isn't the usual stat 50%/50%?). I'm not resolutely opposed to a c-section, but I'd really like a natural childbirth if possible. It's good to hear stories of breech deliveries.

15. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I opted for a c-section halfway through the pregnancy for a few reasons:

1. With my high blood pressure, there would be a good chance of having pre-eclampsia (which I did, so the whole discussion was moot anyway)

2. The doctor I preferred recommended that I do a c-section since it was safer for me in my situation and the kids to be in a more controlled environment for delivery, plus I'm not scared of needles or any of that.

3. A ended up being breech anyway.

4. I was terrified of a vaginal delivery since there would be the chance of having a c-section if baby B didn't cooperate.

I healed up very quickly, very few issues, I was walking around the block in our neighborhood before they were a week old.

16. lizzbeech

lizzbeech Guest

Paully, I also wanted to add to my post and reply to your comment about trying vag then ending up with a section.

That also was and still is a huge 'worry' for us... But I think that if baby A was head down, I just went in and did a section without trying vaginal like I do want, that I will regret it. So for me, in my heart, I know I want to try vaginal (and again, baby A will ultimately decide this for us!), and IF I do end up with a birth that includes 1 vaginal baby and 1 sectioned baby.... That's OK. I will know that I tried my best and I really don't think I will have any regrets.

A lot of people have tried to scare me and say why go through that labor pain for nothing -- why not just schedule a section, it's sooo much easier - no pain, etc.

But for me -- I know that my heart is set on trying to vaginally birth. Bc I would always wonder "what if" down the road. (what if I just attempted a vaginal?) And you never know -- both might just come out fabulously, and no section for me! You also have to think of that positive scenario!!!

So hopefully that helps you a bit!

1 person likes this.