Anyone here from Canada?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by csteen, Jun 18, 2010.

1. csteen

csteen Active Member

After meeting with my HR rep the other day about maternity benefits, she informed me that a few years ago the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that, in the case of a multiple birth, both parents would be entitled to parental benefits. Meaning rather then sharing parental benefits, my hubby and I would both be entitled to take the same amount at the same time (so essentially he could take up to 35 weeks with me).

However, I have looked on the EI website and cannot find any information related to this. Just wondering if anyone else had heard about this...

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I am Canadian, living in Ontario, but I was employed in Quebec while pregnant and my boys were born in Quebec. I am being payed by Quebec and not Ontario. The only thing that was offered to the father of the boys was what was offered as if I were to have a singleton. I do not remember the exact weeks, I think it's 13, but it was nowhere near 35.

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:wavey: i'm from Calgary!

i hadn't heard that but if it's true, i'm going to be ticked! :laughing: it would have been awesome to have both of us home for the first while. as far as i know, you get x weeks of maternity benefits that only you can take + x weeks of parental benefits that can be split sequentially or congruently between you & your partner totaling 52 weeks.

i would say give EI a call and see what they say - it might be worth chatting with someone higher up too. it sounds to me like something the regular staff might not be aware of. and then let us know what you find out. that is information that definitely needs to be passed on!

4. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am from Calgary too!

This court case was going on while I was pregnant, and I believe the case was in Ontario. We were watching it closely because it would have been nice to work out that way. The couple was granted 2 periods of maternity leave. The case wasn't decided until after our kids were born, so it didn't apply. However, we did discuss it and decided it would take a bit of financial planning ahead of time for both of us to live strictly off of maternity benefits. My company topped me up for the first 17 weeks to 66% of my salary, and my husbands would have topped him up to 95%, then you're living off of EI benefits (approximately $400/week) for the rest of the year. Just something to think about.. it seems appealing, but may or may not be financially doable.

5. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think it was in Ottawa...basically the couple appealed their EI payment/award and received benefits for both parents FOR THAT CASE ONLY. It was not the Supreme Court, it was the EI organization, so doesn't apply to every couple. Yes, it does set a precedent if you want to try for it, but I have a feeling that loophole may have been closed...article on twins benefits If you have a Parents of Multiples group out there, they may know more.

6. Haligobabies

Haligobabies Member

this is correct. It was for that case only. A friend of mine who is expecting twins also called EI and was told it was an isolated ruling. It is worth a shot to apply for it I guess, but I think EI has shot this down basically.

7. csteen

csteen Active Member

Wow thanks everyone! I didn't realize it was just for one case - too bad. I think I'll give them a call anyway and see what they say. Really I am only wondering b/c my hubby's work is forcing him on a course at the beginning of November which would be my 38th week - and that is the week we are aiming for in tersm of delivery. so I was thinking they couldn't deny him parental leave...

Well I guess I'll investigate and see what happens. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks again!