anyone NOT have lounge chairs for their toddlers?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Amy A, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

I have seen a lot of your toddlers got cute chairs (elmo, pottery barn, ect) for Chirstmas. I think they are adorable, but do your toddlers really use them? My guys never sit still, so I can't imagine spending money on those chairs (even though they are so cute!). I guess I'm just curious if your toddlers actually use them, or if it's more of just a decoration.

2. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

I have seen a lot of your toddlers got cute chairs (elmo, pottery barn, ect) for Chirstmas. I think they are adorable, but do your toddlers really use them? My guys never sit still, so I can't imagine spending money on those chairs (even though they are so cute!). I guess I'm just curious if your toddlers actually use them, or if it's more of just a decoration.

3. firemedic

firemedic Well-Known Member

We don't have them. Emma is now taking over dh's chair. She thinks it is hers. Mine, mine... Daddy floor. I laugh so hard!!

4. 3sweetps

3sweetps Well-Known Member

I got a really cute little sports themed upholstered rocking chair for my older son (Noah) when he was a toddler and it never got much use. It now sits in his room and is a good place for me to put his clean clothes on before putting them away. I won't make the same mistake with the twins. I also had gotten a beanbag chair from Target and that gets a little more use...mostly as a landing pad for jumps [​IMG] or Noah will watch a movie on it.

I'm holding out for a table & chairs or a picnic-style bench for them, when they're ready, instead of just plush chairs. I think that'll get a lot of use for coloring and for eating on.

I love your boys' names! [​IMG]

5. Chris S.

Chris S. Well-Known Member

We won't be going there either. I love love the cute ones from Pottery Barn but like you...my kids don't ever sit enough to take the $$$ plunge. I do think their cute though...and can't blame anyone for getting them. I would have already if money was no object.

6. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

My girls have bean bag chairs from PB. We got them before they were walking after they'd outgrown their bouncy seats. They sit in them generally only once a day now, when they watch their evening show. But they are big enough that they will still be able to curl up in them for years to come.

7. kimr

kimr Well-Known Member

My girls got the PB anywhere chairs last year for christmas when they were only 8 months old, they sit on them and watch their favorite show and they'll sit in them to read books or play around and tip them over to play with. Sometimes I'll just catch them sitting in them playing with a toy. I think for us, since they've got them so young, they use them more.

8. lucky2

lucky2 Well-Known Member

We got the PB ones as a gift. Ok,I requeted them because they are so darn cute. DD plops down in them a couple of times a day but they don't yet use them for any extended period of time. I am hoping that someday they will use them to sit and read books but I might just be kidding myself.

[​IMG]

9. Whoa Mama

Whoa Mama Well-Known Member

My Mom got all three of my kids small chairs from Big Lots and they all love them. It's amazing how a child WILL sit still in a chair that is perfectly sized for THEM. Especially if they like to look at books.

10. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

We have the anywhere chairs from PBK and mine LOVE them. They have their names on them and know whose is whose. They sit in them to watch tv (Thomas & Dora) and to read books. Eventually they may go in their bedrooms.

11. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We don't have space for anything like that -- if we did, I'd probably be tempted, but like a PP said, I'd be more likely to go for a kid-sized table with chairs to go with it.

12. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

We don't have any lounge chairs. They don't really stay still long enough to appreciate a comfy chair to relax on.

13. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

We have leather armchairs child size from toys r us $100 each (BIL bought). rarely used, would say for us waste of money (would be if we'd bought them anyhow), they still don't sit still long enough. They are cute though

amanda (jorja and jessica 3)

14. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls have little chairs. They do sit in them. My MIL just got them a little elmo flip sofa with built in sleeping bag. They love to open it up and lie down on it with a doll.

15. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have a toddler sized table and chairs and they see tons of use. Someone also gave us a nice wooden toddler size picnic table and it gets use. It's nice when we have kids over for playdates because I just pull the extra tables into the kitchen and we have seating for all the kids and the adults sit at the table. I really don't think lounge chairs would have gotten so much use.

Marissa

16. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

Jackson had a little rocking chair and never used it. So we haven't bought special chairs for Hayden and Brady.

17. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the toddler recliners and really wanted to get them but I know all they would do is climb on them so I didnt get them... My mom and dad did buy them a table and 2 chairs for xmas though to use when they are a tad bit older for eatting at and coloring and such... Might be a better option.... For us we have huge floor pillows we use to sit on or lay on to watch tv and such..

18. me_and_my_boy

me_and_my_boy Well-Known Member

Nana and Grampy got the boys a table & chairs for xmas. That is getting some use so far. We got them the PBK anywhere chairs and they are already sitting, playing, reading, & watching Baby Einstein in them. I think they are going to get a lot of use out of them.

Mendy

19. rosie19

rosie19 Well-Known Member

N & G just got the Pottery Barn anywhere chairs and they love them. They sit in them to read and to play with toys. They also use them as a table sometimes. Gabe will sit on the floor next to the chair and play with something on the seat of the chair. Oh, and they also use them as a step stool to the couch and our other recliner. Overall, they've gotten a lot of use and we've only had them a few days. However, I guessed they would get a lot of use (and thus requested them when my mom asked what presents to get) because they love to sit on the couch and the recliner. I was spending half my day putting them up (thankfully they could slide down on their own), so I thought this would solve that problem. We also got a wooden table and chairs and that has gotten a ton of use too. They love to color and have snacks at that table. Besides the kitchen set, those are the two most played with gifts.

-rosie

20. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

Mine got chairs for their first borthday and LOVE them. I thought it was a crazy gift at first but they have proved me wrong. They sit in them to watch their shows and when they read their books.

21. Angelasbabes

Angelasbabes Well-Known Member

My parents got dd a cute rocking chair when she was around 2 1/2. She never used it.

The boys watch TV by either sitting on the couch or in our lazyboys.

They have tables and chairs in their rooms, but that'll be it.

22. ruthjulia

ruthjulia Well-Known Member

instead of getting the PBK anywhere chairs we got them the couch - you can only get it in stores (not online or through catalog) but it is soooooooooo cute and really great and roomy for the two of them. they LOVE it. plus it was quite a bit less than buying two chairs. they climb onto it all the time - cameron likes to take a favorite book or toy there when he wants "alone" time (i.e., doesn't want the item stolen by his sister - lol) and they both love to get up there and cuddle with their stuffed animals. i did have to put pillows in front of it because they used to wrestle on it and we had a couple of major head bonks on the floor from one getting pushed off - but now they think it's fun to roll off the couch onto the pillows [​IMG]. anyway - i'm really glad we got it!

oh - they are on the couch in my picture below!

23. TwinMama6

TwinMama6 Well-Known Member

What do you mean by 'lounge chair'? Garrett got a toddler sized recliner for his 1st bday from Walmart and then Ethan came along a couple years later and they wore it out!!!!!! I would get C&C each one too if I knew where to find them here in Australia...??

24. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I don't have them, but I also don't really have any idea what you are talking about! [​IMG]

We do have two little wooden chairs we bought unfinished and painted them ourselves and put their intials on them. They are the right height to pull up to our coffee table and they use them all the time. They play there, with play dough, color, feed their babies, or even eat snacks there. They also sit down on their chairs to get their hair done, with me sitting behind them on the sofa. They are light enough for them to move them themselves. They take them out to the back yard too. They get used all the time.

25. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

Wow, I had no idea this post would get so many responses [​IMG]

Let me clarify, for those of you who didn't understand what I was referring to . . . by lounge chair I meant some sort of comfy chair for your toddler to sit in. Many people on this board have talked about the pottery barn kids chairs, the giggle elmo chairs, toddler size recliners, ect. Basically a comfortable chair that is made for toddlers.

I think they are adorable! But for my kids I wouldn't see the point because they don't sit to still for long. I just wanted to know if other people's kids used their chairs, of if they were more of a decoration.

26. TwinMama6

TwinMama6 Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing that up Amy!!!! LOL!

My kids LOVED that chair,you'd be surprised!! Garrett fell asleep the first time he sat in it to watch tv!!!! And all the little ones fought over it til it broke! LOL!

27. blessedby2

blessedby2 Well-Known Member

We do have them and mine seem to like them. I bought them at my twins resale because I wasn't sure if they would like them or use them. They like to use them at the train table sometimes to sit and play, although sometimes they can't reach the table that well. And, they will use them to watch TV - Signing Time or Elmo.

28. TwinMom205

TwinMom205 Well-Known Member

Actually, ours get a lot of use. We bought them about a month ago as an early birthday present at Target, and they've been used daily. The main reason we bought them was because the boys would stand right in front of the TV to watch, and hated to sit on the floor. This solved the problem within days. I can move the chairs back as far from the TV as I want, and that's were they sit. My boys are also not allowed to jump on our furniture, so they climb and bounce on their furniture (safely, of course). We also tend to watch 1 video a day, and they like to sit it their chairs to watch.

Do they need them? No.
    Do we use them? Yes, all the time.
    Is it decoration? No- they are usually in the way. lol
    I bought mine at Target. They are charcoal gray with red trim. I refused to buy Elmo or other character chairs. I liked the Pottery Barn ones, but couldn't afford to spend that much on two chairs.

eta: Just want to also clarify that I don't buy much for the boys. We limit their toys because they don't really need much, but this is something I feel was worth every penny. Wouldn't want you to think I spoil them... [​IMG]

29. AmyS

AmyS Well-Known Member

Hi Amy,

We have the PB Anywhere chairs and they get used A LOT more than I thought they would. I also questioned how much the kiddos would "sit" still, but they really surprised me. They don't sit in them all day by any means, but I definately feel we have gotten our money's worth out of them.

They also know which chair belongs to them and I have to say it is actually funny when I see Tyler "nudge" Paige out of his chair so he can sit in it.

I completely know how it is to be skeptical, but for my little ones they did surprise me and I'm glad I got them.

Amy

30. Shanonlee

Shanonlee Well-Known Member

My boys have Spiderman chairs. I think their idea of "using" them is to throw them around! [​IMG] But really, sometimes they do use them when theyre drinking milk or when i put their shoes on i'll put em in them. But they like to flip them upside down and jump on them, etc. Im thinking maybe i should put them away till they get a little older.

31. TwinhadTwins

TwinhadTwins Well-Known Member

My girls get a lot of use out of them. They got them when they were 18 mos and they have used them since. I mean, this is literally where they sit when they need to relax and watch some shows or play quietly. I say they are great, and my Husband uses it while he plays video games. We have the little flip couches which are not a ton of $$. I even flip it out and lay with them too. It is comfy.

32. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We have one of the fold out couches. The girls sit in it alot. Our swings were the ones that turn into rocking chairs and Jazz likes to sit in them but it scares me the way she gets in them.

33. Bunky

Bunky Active Member

We didn't bother either mostly because they end up climbing on them, fighting over them, etc. Our 5-year old is included in that as she thinks she's a gymnast. Anyway, we only use the Little Tikes indoor/outdoor picnic table and that works well IF they sit down to color or do playdough, etc.

34. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

We have darling little bean bags that they use when they are watching a dvd (mostly on weekends) and they love them!! Check lillianvernon.com