Anyone still on bottles for milk at 15 months?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Andi German, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Andi German

Andi German Well-Known Member

Max will drink from all kinds of sippies and straws for juice but will not entertain drinking milk from them. Have tried him the last couple of days with the sippy teat in his avent bottles which I know he can use perfectly well but he is having none of it! So will leave it for a few more days as he is not completely over his bronchitis. Just wondered if anyone else still has 15 month olds drinking milk from regular bottles? Then maybe go cold turkey?

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We were still on one bottle a day at 15 months (bedtime bottle), but they were both drinking milk from sippies at lunch and when they woke up. We got special "milk" sippies (with Elmo on them) so it made it special and they were excited to use it. GL!!!

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We are 15 months and are still on 2 bottles a day. We just took away the 2pm bottle of milk and are offering it in a straw sippy. Ours will drink water out of a sippy no problem but milk, they drink better out of a bottle. They are slowly getting better with the 2pm milk sippy. Good luck!

4. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

We were on one or two bottles a day at 15 months (I can't remember which). We dropped the final bottle somewhere between 16 - 18 months. My girls are on the smaller side of the charts and we needed to ensure they were getting the fat and calories from milk. Now that they're totally on sippies, they only drink about 10 oz of milk a day, so I think it was really worth it to stick with bottles for the extra months.

5. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine are still on two bottles of milk a day morning and night time.
    My older dd had the morning bottle until she was two and is a-okay! I am in no real hurry. They drink great out of sippies just not as much and they are little things and need to gain some weight so we are sticking with that for now.

6. snowmom

snowmom Well-Known Member

Mine are almost 15m and they still have 3-4 a day of milk. I'm in no huge rush to take it from them. Older son was drinking from a bottle until 2.5 yrs or so and he is fine. No problems taking it from him. I don't let the twins "cruise" with bottles though, like I did the older son. Only at nap times and bed times.

7. Andi German

Thank you so much ladies! Made me realise that there is no need to rush him. He is fine with his bottles for a while!

8. mar66rus2

mar66rus2 Well-Known Member

My girls are 20 months and STILL take milk from a bottle. They will do a sippy cup for juice, but not milk. I know, they should be off.

9. Kendra77

Kendra77 Well-Known Member

My twins are 14 months old and for a while I was kind of stressed out about switching them to sippy cups, but my mother said not to worry about it . She said she gave me bottles until I was 2 and she doesn't think it's a big deal. I give them sippy cups for water and I've tried sippy cups with milk but they didn't drink very much that way. I think it's more important to get the right amount of milk into their bodies no matter how it gets there... through a bottle or a cup, but that's just my opinion. They'll do better with cups when they're older.

10. Bridgett

Bridgett Well-Known Member

My girls get 1 a day - right before bed. My pedi told us at their 1 year appt that so many parents are in a hurry to ditch the bottles when they turn one but she said do not hurry them. They will kind of let you know. She said if they are still on them at 18 months then we can start to work on them.

I think that night time bottle is going to be the hardest but I'm not worried right now - the girls are still young.

11. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

You know, they have to suck from sippies too, so I never saw the rush to get rid of bottles for that reason... unless you're using straw sippies, there's really not much of a difference.

For me the main motivation to get rid of the bottle (which we actually did today) was just that we are so sick of washing all those parts and wasting 5 minutes detaching and reassembling every time. We use sippies without valve for that reason too... takes one second to assemble and disassemble. But I agree with pp, they don't drink as much milk overall than they did on the bottle (although mine were never big milk drinkers), so there's no rush if your little ones really need the calories from the milk (DD could use them but she has such a huge appetite, I'm not too worried about her).

12. PJ

PJ Well-Known Member

My guys are still taking milk from a bottle. I rushed my daughter and she quit drinking milk. I will do things differently this time and see what happens. I am in no rush this time.

13. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

mine still drink milk 3 times/day from a bottle--when i need them to sleep afterwards! i know it's bad but they spit out every 5th mouthful from the sippies (water) and i can't them do that w/milk.

14. jasonsmommy

jasonsmommy Well-Known Member

We are at just 16 months. They take all their milk in bottles. I am in no rush either, but do know that we need to work on getting them off.

15. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We were on bottles until 18 months i think (milk only) we transitioned to sippies for water pretty early.

For us we did all bottles with milk because there was no point in mixing it up - since if Jake knew a bottle was possible, he would never drink from a sippy. We had a few bad days, but then it was better. i don't remember it as a huge trauma (compared to all the other traumas, which I can't even remember)

16. nutty-mom

nutty-mom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Kendra77 @ Apr 9 2009, 01:25 PM) [snapback]1266127[/snapback]
    My twins are 14 months old and for a while I was kind of stressed out about switching them to sippy cups, but my mother said not to worry about it . She said she gave me bottles until I was 2 and she doesn't think it's a big deal. I give them sippy cups for water and I've tried sippy cups with milk but they didn't drink very much that way. I think it's more important to get the right amount of milk into their bodies no matter how it gets there... through a bottle or a cup, but that's just my opinion. They'll do better with cups when they're older.

I agree with your mom. I never rushed my twins off the bottle and they self weened themselves around 15 months. I say let them be babies while they can.

Penny

17. Andi German

Definitely keeping him on his beloved bottles - he is not ready and neither am I! What was I thinking!? Thanks for your replies.

18. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

We still have bottles, 2 a day. One for nap, one for nighttime. I feel a little guilty about it, but looking at the "confessions" it looks like a lot of us still do it.

19. alechiac

alechiac Well-Known Member

We still have 3 bottles a day a 4 oz bottle at naps and an 8 oz bottle at bedtime. They get sippies with meals/snacks and during our daily walk... I'm with PP-ers who said that the urgency to get off bottles is a a mystery to me--We'll be dropping the nap bottles in a couple of months but I really doubt we'll drop the nightime bottle for a LONG LONG time :)

20. BeckiAllen1130

BeckiAllen1130 Well-Known Member

I just wanted to chime in that mine are a little over 15 months & they're still on 3 bottles a day. 1 when they wake up, 1 before nap time & 1 before bed time. I'm wasn't in a rush to switch them but I am expecting another baby 3 weeks before they turn 2, so I want to wean them off of bottles before the new one arrives. I'm thinking of making the transition some time this summer. Hopefully it works out for both of us!! OH & my pedi said that most people find it easier to switch just by going cold turkey. She said they won't understand why they get a bottle at some points during the day & not others, so that's something to consider too.

21. caryanne07

caryanne07 Well-Known Member

So glad to read this thread...I never understood everyone's rush to get rid of bottles. Mine are still getting 3 a day. We'll probably drop the noon one soon but I expect they'll stay on their morning and night bottles til 2.

22. mmbadger

mmbadger Well-Known Member

QUOTE(itsnancycozzi @ Apr 9 2009, 09:28 AM) [snapback]1265642[/snapback]
    We are 15 months and are still on 2 bottles a day. We just took away the 2pm bottle of milk and are offering it in a straw sippy. Ours will drink water out of a sippy no problem but milk, they drink better out of a bottle. They are slowly getting better with the 2pm milk sippy. Good luck!

Ditto!