Anyone successfully potty train at an early age?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by BounceTigger, Feb 26, 2011.

1. BounceTigger

BounceTigger Well-Known Member

My neice is 20 months and has peed on the potty a number of times this week and she'll run to the potty and sign when she needs to go. My sister is not pushing her, but she's really excited that she might just get the hang of it.

Did anyone's twins (or singletons) successfully train under 2 or 2.5?

2. Lydia

Lydia Well-Known Member

Yes!!! It can be done. My twins were successfully potty-trained at 22 months. My son rarely had an accident after the first few weeks of intensive training, while my daughter still has the odd accident. I still say that's much nicer to deal with than changing diapers. It certainly requires more work than changing diapers since you have to be able to drop everything to run to the bathroom with them, but it's worth it in my opinion. I wish you success.

3. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

My boys were 26 mos when they trained. One trained with ZERO issues and NO accidents, while one took a little longer...but was still fully trained by 27 mos. It was awesome!

Oh, & I didn't 'train' mine...they did it themselves!

4. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We are 3 weeks in...started at 26 months:) They are doing great!!! So yes, it can be done! I think it might take a little longer but if they are ready don't make them wait....we wanted to but they didn't LOL:) It hasn't been nearly as bad as I thought it would be!

5. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Yep, 3 out of 4 of mine.

6. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

My daughters were fully trained by 27 months; it took only a few weeks. We tried when they were 25 months but they just weren't ready. On the other hand, I have friends who have easily trained their kids at 19 months, 22 months, and 23 months. I think it all depends on the kid!

7. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

My twins trained at 27 months. both day & NIGHT! I can count on one hand the number of accidents they've ever had between them. We just really talked about it, how big they were, where pee/poo go, etc etc,
    I told them when we came home from vacation there would be NO more diapers. We came home, they woke up the first day at home and I showed them their underwear. We never looked back. IT. WAS. AWESOME.
    Not having to change 2 kids in diapers is a life changer :)

8. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

28 months and they did it themselves, also. I was in NO hurry and just waited til I knew they were ready so it wouldn't be painful for ANY of us! It wasn't. No accidents and life has been swell:)

KEY is waiting til they are READY and not forcing it. It just isn't worth it!

9. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I wished I'd done the 3day potty training when I started PTing at 23 months... but it wasn't until 27.5 months that I did the underwear and telling them to tell me when they needed to go. Within a good 2 months they were about trained... we never put diapers back on day or night (except 1 or 2 times) since 27.5 months. My dd started out great at the 27.5 waking up dry, then i think she got "lazy"... at 32 months I finally converted a couple of my cloth diapers to pullups... and she slept in those for a week or two, while my ds said "she's wearing a diaper"!! didn't really mean to tease her, but within the 10 days she's refused to put those back on and she's waking up dry! hmmm a little peer pressure to solidify it I think!

anyway, I truly think it can be done! I've even stopped taking "extra" clothes and the potty most places. if it's a long day I might take them, but short trips where there are toilets I don't. So nice to walk into a restaurant w/just my purse and NO diaper bag!

10. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

Both were day trained by 24 months. My son also had night training done by that time, with my daughter following about 2-3 weeks later for night training.

11. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

Mine were day trained by 27months. They still wear a pull-up at night but I have no problems with that.

12. brookbranplus2

brookbranplus2 Well-Known Member

Yup, the boys by 22 month and my dd by 26 months

13. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Mine are not night trained, but Eli was day trained around 23 months, and Mark around 26 months.