Anyone successfully rejoin after initial room separation?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by SweetpeaG, Jul 2, 2008.

1. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

It sounds ridiculous, with all the posts I see about people desperately wishing for the room/space/option to separate toddlers, nevertheless, I am flirting with the idea of putting them back together. I think they would love it. We finally seem to be over the hump of waking at 5:30am (a lovely phase that lasted from 10-23m). They nap just fine in PNPs in one room while traveling.

Anyone else put them back together after initial separation?

2. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I think you should try it. Be a pioneer. What's the worst that could happen? You have a rough night and then have to move the boy back into the other room. Not so terrible. If you succeed, though, you get a whole room back for whatever use you see fit... a new baby, perhaps?

3. Mimsy

Mimsy Well-Known Member

We had to put our twins back together at 11 months. It was hard, and I wouldn't have done it if we had any other choice. Now that you are over the 5:30am wakings you may want to reconsider... our babies sleep until 7-7:30am if separate, but wake between 5:30-6:00am if they are together. I think that one of both of them wake around that time, and instead of going back to sleep (like they would if alone) they wake the other... and then no one is going back to sleep....

4. twins225

twins225 Well-Known Member

wow! i have girls which have been together since we brought them home. they never slept in our room even. for the first 8 weeks...they shared a crib. then had their own cribs for 2.5 years and now are in big beds...but always together in the same room. have you all separated yours for sleep purposes only? when one wakes early, the other doesn't necessarily wake up. actually, they very rarely wake at the same time. so i wasn't planning to separate them unless they asked about it or showed interest in having their own rooms. i haven't made it an option, so it's not a problem for us (yet). but i just wanted to comment just b/c i was at the opposite end of the spectrum, but maybe it's b/c i have both girls.

i am curious to hear from other moms whose GIRLS are still together or that are older and have been put in separate rooms. when did you separate them??

rebecca

5. MTBx2

MTBx2 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twins225 @ Jul 2 2008, 03:10 PM) [snapback]857250[/snapback]
    wow! i have girls which have been together since we brought them home. they never slept in our room even. for the first 8 weeks...they shared a crib. then had their own cribs for 2.5 years and now are in big beds...but always together in the same room. have you all separated yours for sleep purposes only? when one wakes early, the other doesn't necessarily wake up. actually, they very rarely wake at the same time. so i wasn't planning to separate them unless they asked about it or showed interest in having their own rooms. i haven't made it an option, so it's not a problem for us (yet). but i just wanted to comment just b/c i was at the opposite end of the spectrum, but maybe it's b/c i have both girls.

i am curious to hear from other moms whose GIRLS are still together or that are older and have been put in separate rooms. when did you separate them??

rebecca

My girls are still in the same room, and I don't plan on seperating them until that ask for it. :)

If one wakes before the other, they quietly get out of bed and come wake me up (usually just to crawl in my bed and watch TV). The girls love having a room together, and I don't want to take that from them. :)

6. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I did it! I had them separated for a while for naps and put them back together and all was fine! Now they don't want separate rooms. It's nice because they are so used to each other when we travel etc. that there's NO adjustment necessary. I would try!!

7. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

I'm gonna do it! DH is out of town all week on business, so I think I'll pull the trigger on Sunday since it will be much easier if I don't have him planting seeds of '2nd guessing' in my ear at 3 in the morning should things go south the first couple of nights.

QUOTE(debid @ Jul 2 2008, 10:23 AM) [snapback]856931[/snapback]
    I think you should try it. Be a pioneer. What's the worst that could happen? You have a rough night and then have to move the boy back into the other room. Not so terrible. If you succeed, though, you get a whole room back for whatever use you see fit... a new baby, perhaps?

:huh: Not EVEN funny! :eek:

QUOTE(twins225 @ Jul 2 2008, 01:10 PM) [snapback]857250[/snapback]

FWIW, we have boys and I have no issue with them sleeping in the same bed (the notion that boys shouldn't sleep together reeks of unfounded homophobia to me). We seperated them into different rooms when they outgrew the shared bed b/c we had the space and thought it would avoid one waking the other up and encourage sleeping through the night (which they didn't get around to until about 14 months). Then we had waking up at 5am issues off and (mostly) on for over a year. The sleeping was so consistently bad that we just didn't think we could handle it if it got worse, so we kept things the same knowing that as bad as it was, it was what we already knew. :pardon:

8. stinkyhobo10

stinkyhobo10 Well-Known Member

I was never sperarated from my sister until we were 15. We always shared a room and then when the room got to small for the two of us my father knocked down the wall and we had one huge room. Just this past summer he put the wall back up for us. We really wanted our own style and space and just something we alone could have. However even now we still sleep together on occasion. Sometimes we just don't feel like being alone and other times something is bothering us. But in any event the older we got the more space we wanted but we are still super close and go into each others rooms all the time. Just the other night my sister came into my room, told me to move over and got into my bed. I didn't notice or remember what had happened until the next morning when I woke up and was like "why are you here?" the best part was that she couldn't remember why and she thought I had invited her.

9. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Mimsy @ Jul 2 2008, 03:43 PM) [snapback]857216[/snapback]
    We had to put our twins back together at 11 months. It was hard, and I wouldn't have done it if we had any other choice. Now that you are over the 5:30am wakings you may want to reconsider... our babies sleep until 7-7:30am if separate, but wake between 5:30-6:00am if they are together. I think that one of both of them wake around that time, and instead of going back to sleep (like they would if alone) they wake the other... and then no one is going back to sleep....

That exactly what I am going through right now! I knew my son would sleep longer if Rianna would 'shut up' at her waking hour that early in the morning. We will give it a try with splitting them up after we get back from our Fourth July weekend.

If it successful as I would think with Justin sleeping in longer in his own room that mean my option to the spare bedroom would no longer be a play room as I was going to keep them together for a few years.

Who knows which Plan A or B would work for us!
    D, w/Rianna and Justin (21 mos)

10. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I put them back together at 13 months, so my experience is probably much different, as they weren't all that aware and set in routines like now. I was very "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but DH really wanted to do it, so I went along. The good and bad of it is, they keep each other entertained. It's bad when they should be sleeping, like naptime, but in the morning, I can let them play for a while and sleep in a bit more or go hop in the shower.