anyone want to share any tips for staying healthy during the holidays?

Discussion in 'General' started by AimeeThomp, Oct 31, 2013.

1. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's a tough time of the year for many people to stay healthy, including me. It was my girls' birthday 1 week ago today (cake/party), then Halloween today, Thanksgiving is soon, my birthday is the day after Thanksgiving, Coop's birthday beginning of December and then Christmas. I don't want to gain 10 lbs between now and the end of the year!

So far I've been doing pretty well avoiding candy. I try to tell myself to just "taste" the candy, don't fill up on it.

I also plan on tracking my food every day, even on bad days. I think if I write it down and see it I'll eat less.

Anyone have any tips they'd like to share for staying healthy during this time of the year?

1 person likes this.
  2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When I do this, I do it well. But when we are so busy from one function to the next, it's really hard to stick to.

All week I'd eat meats and veggies, add sweet potato twice a week, and quinoa once a week if I so choose. Then one day a week-either one meal, or one three hour period(think party), I cheat. It's what my sister and her bf does and they are huge into working out, etc. They eat no refined carbs etc. They do drink on weekends but limit caloric intake during the week. I feel great when I eat this way, as I'm not deprived and look forward to that one cheat meal. But with the holidays it really is rough.

But I so just spent $7k on a new stomach, so my guess is I'll be sticking to it a lot better than before!

My sis bf said you can't go two days in a row of a cheat meal, it won't work. You mess with your metabolism by doing it once a week. Have that cheat meal two days in a row and you won't lose weight.

Sometimes the holidays suck. Lol! It goes from thanksgiving to New Years...

3. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm thinking of using my fitness pal to track my food during this crazy time of year.  I'm so glad that Hanukkah is thanksgiving since it is only one day of getting together with family.  I'm going to stick with working out Even if DH is not - that is my down fall - if he doesn't want to workout because he is not feeling okay, i use it as an excuse to skip. We are doing hasfit's warrier workout together. 
    I'm also going to try and plan my meals better.

We can start a daily check in in here if you want.  I know years ago we had people who posted what they ate every day in addition to the workout thread.  
    [​IMG]

Maybe we should pick one of these motivations quotes each week from now till the holidays.  

4. AimeeThomp

yeah that's a great idea Lisa! About the motivational quotes or sharing what we eat, etc.

On a positive note, I rejoined WW online so I could track (I'm not really trying to lose), but since I still have the same email I was logged in to my old account. Guess how much I've lost and kept off since 2010?

53 lbs.

:woo:

5. ljcrochet

Aimee

that is great!

6. megkc03

Woohoo! Isn't it awesome?!?

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:woo: Aimee!
    Do we want to use this thread for workouts and eating tips? Let me know, because if we do, then I won't post a November workout thread.
    I know this is a TOUGH time of the year of me, eating wise.  I dread it.  Between Thanksgiving, my birthday, Christmas, my kids birthday (day after Christmas) and their actual party, the feast of the 7 fishes on Christmas Eve, New Years, DH's birthday in January....ugh....
    I plan on continuing working out as usual and trying to keep the "fun" food to a minimum.  I am using both WW app and my fitness pal to track food.  
    And I could use all the support needed!

8. ljcrochet

If anyone used myfitness pal, feel free to add me as a friend

9. AimeeThomp

Nancy we could still have the activity thread and just have a different one for keeping tabs on food.

10. AimeeThomp

Ugh I've not done very well today. I've had way too much candy.

I plan on just counting all my weekly points as gone tomorrow.

11. kingeomer

Aimee, :hug: I know the candy has been tough.  I had two hershey minis and a milky way mini today :rolleyes:  I wish I was more like my son who can take or leave chocolate.

12. megkc03

So I guess my chips and dip for dinner wasn't a good choice?!?

13. kingeomer

Meaghan, you are recovering from surgery.  Some days are just a chip and dip dinner.  No judgement here!

Said me, as I am planning my kids Charlie Brown feast for the day before Thanksgiving of pretzels, toast, jelly beans and popcorn.
    Notice there is not a vegetable or protein in sight.

2 people like this.
  14. megkc03

lol! Too funny! I actually have no appetite and am eating for the sake of...eating.

15. AimeeThomp

I've done pretty well this weekend! Stayed away from alcohol and most sweets even though my husband brought home a big bag of coconut M&Ms last night. What was he thinking? At least they weren't the white chocolate ones.

I was actually down 3 lbs this morning. I might break 140 soon.

Off to run 4 miles! :escape:

2 people like this.
  16. kingeomer

Today is going to be a better day then yesterday.  I did crap with eating in general yesterday.   I went to a Tastefully Simple party and the food was very good.  I am determined to be a good girl today. :angel:

17. AimeeThomp

What is Tastefully Simple? I haven't heard of it.

I am trying to resist all the candy here at work.

18. AimeeThomp

How is everyone doing this week?

I think my body is in shock - I have done low carb/ low to no sugar for 2 years. This week I switched to WW. I am down to 141! The 130s are so close I can taste it....

It's so hard to resist candy for me. I've been running a lot this week.

19. kingeomer

I'm having a hard time resisting candy this week so I've limited myself to one piece a day.  That helps!  
    Aimee, I am glad you are losing weight!  Tastefully Simple is one of those direct sell things they sell dip mixes, slow cooker sauces, bread and cake mixes.  It's good stuff which is why I don't buy from them too often.  A lot of it is not diet friendly.

20. ljcrochet

Aimee great job. Sometimes it pays to chanfe up how we eat.