Anyone's baby have an egg allergy?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by brieh, Oct 20, 2010.

1. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if there is an allergy or not. I decided to do a scrambled egg (white and yolk)for the girls 2 weeks ago and also at the same time use a new cream on one of my girls. The next day I noticed a rash all over her torso. Little bumps. It went away in about 2 days. So to rule out the cream, I used just a tiny bit in an area and nothing happened. Today I decided to try egg again. She has been teething so her cheeks already looked a little red, but by the afternoon there seemed to be more rashy spots. My husband thought her poopy diaper seemed a bit runny as well and her bum red. Should I take this to mean an allergy?? Anyone experienced similar symptoms. Anything I looked up said hive-like rash. It was definately no that.

2. mariam54

mariam54 Active Member

My son has food allergy(eggs, dairy, fish, shellfish, nuts, tree nuts, avocado, pomegranate). He will show different symptoms with different foods. Here is something interesting that i found:

Headaches: wheat, chocolate

Migraine Headaches: Alcohol, cheese, chocolate, nuts, wheat, citrus fruits, tomatoes, MSG, nitrates, eggs, milk.

Hay Fever: Milk, wheat, nuts, chocolate, colas, sulfites

Hives: Strawberries, tomatoes, chocolate, eggs, shellfish, mangos, pork, nuts.

Childhood Allergies: Milk, wheat, eggs, artificial colors/flavors, peanuts, salicylates, (less common) rye, beef, fish.

Eczema: Eggs, citrus fruits, tomatoes.

Asthma: Wheat, eggs.

Cerebral Symptoms: (affecting energy, emotions, and pysche): Milk, soybeans, corn, and wheat.

(from: Haas, Elson M. Staying Healthy with Nutrition, Celestial Arts: Berkely, CA, 1992, p. 874)

I will take him to an allergist. I learned with my son that the more I try the food that he has allergy to, the worse get the symptoms too.

Good luck!

3. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

My older son was allergic to egg (he grew out of it). His symptoms were hives and he threw up egg the third time we tried to give it to him. I suggest seeing an allergist if you see the rash again, after you give her egg.

4. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

My son also reacted to egg - I don't know if it's a true allergy. He got rashes shortly after eating a french toast, then started to rub his eyes, nose. He also cried quite a bit. Broke out hives all over his face.
    It happened the second time he had egg. I did not want to tempt faith trying it again. Benadryl helped.

5. mommyto3boys

mommyto3boys Well-Known Member

My oldest has an egg allergy and breaks out in a rash, in addition to vomiting. The rash is not hives, but is more like fine, light red bumps. The rash usually goes away after a dose or 2 of benedryl. I would recommend an appointment with an allergist just to make sure.

6. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

Yeah it was tiny red bumps that she got. Hmmm..I kind of don't want to tempt fate again. I just switched then from formula to whole milk and the egg seemed like such a good addition to the diet. Too bad. I think I'll just avoid the egg for now, maybe see what happens when it is in a recipe or something. And let the Dr. know next time. Thanks ladies :)