Anyone's kiddos share a full size mattress instead of having two twin beds?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Faith00, Mar 28, 2008.

?

if you had two monkeys...

1. put crib mattresses on floor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. buy USED toddler beds (car ones)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. use a full-sized mattress on the floor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Faith00

Faith00 Well-Known Member

I'm the one that posted about our crazy shot at bed transition the other day...they are now back in their cribs w/ the tents on and doing fine. (although they aren't napping much, but that's another post)

We are getting ready to move in the next month and I know we are going to have to do something. DH thinks they need nice twin beds. I don't want to fork over the $$$ for that right now, until they are used to sleeping outside of the crib because they will jump, flip, and play on the bed. SO, wwyd...the ONLY reason I'm considering an actual toddler bed is because (I would only get used ones) they would be cars and I thought they might actually think they were fun and want to stay in them. Right now we cannot separate them, but I am considering this down the road. We have an old full size mattress that I also wonder if it would work...maybe heavier as they won't be able to push it. I'm just not sure about them sleeping on the same mattress.

If anyone used a toddler bed, how long (what age) until you had to buy twin or full size mattresses??

Thanks for reading, listening, and hopefully taking the poll!

Alicia

2. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

We're planning on doing the twin beds w/ safety rails and skipping the toddler bed. Our neighbors bought their son a car bed b/c they couldn't get him out of their bed. He loves to play on it during the day, but still won't sleep in it. It's been a year!!! I know most of that has to do with their inconstancy and his disrespect for them, but it just goes to show that even though it would be fun, they may not like it. I don't think there would be much of a problem with them sharing a full bed, at least for a while. It may be a good way to transition. After you are in the new house for a while, you can talk about other alternatives. JMHO.

3. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

We transitioned from cribs to full sized beds. They do have their own rooms and they were 3 yrs old, so I think that might have something to do with our success.

4. guestd

guestd Well-Known Member

Mine sleep in a full size bed. Our 6 yr old even joins them sometimes. I know alot of you would frown upon this, but I lay with mine until they go to sleep, so it is easier with the full size bed. I don't know why mine are afraid of the dark and don't go to sleep by themselves. But I do remember my Mom having to lay with me when I was little, and I eventually I grew out of that. I just tell myself that I won't be doing it forever. Pretty soon they won't even want me in their rooms.

5. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

This is what I do:

Their Bed

Its a kingsize bed on the floor.

6. bridgeport

bridgeport Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TripleL @ Mar 28 2008, 03:38 PM) [snapback]692862[/snapback]
    I know alot of you would frown upon this, but I lay with mine until they go to sleep, so it is easier with the full size bed. I don't know why mine are afraid of the dark and don't go to sleep by themselves. But I do remember my Mom having to lay with me when I was little, and I eventually I grew out of that. I just tell myself that I won't be doing it forever. Pretty soon they won't even want me in their rooms.

I don't frown on anything that gets the kids to sleep! :good:

7. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

Not my twins, but my two daughters share a full sized mattress. We moved twin dd in with older dd when she was 2, older dd was not quite 4. The transition took about a week or two.... and a lot of firmness on our parts on what the "rules" were... to be honest, even now almost a year later we still occasionally have to revisit what the rules are. But some of this I think would come with just sharing a room too.

8. mnellson

mnellson Well-Known Member

We tried just the crib mattress on the floor and they were constantly rolling off of them. Then we put a full size mattress on the floor in between both of the crib mattress. This helped becasue I was night weaning and DH wold go in to calm them down and he would fall asleep with them. Plus, if they rolled they wouldn't fall onto the floor. Eventually we got toddler beds when we moved and that was he**! All kinds of fooling around, wouldn't stay in them, up inthe middle of the night to go into the living room to play. So, I had to stay in there to put them to down for naps or bedtime or they wouldn't go to sleep. At three and a half, we were moving the bedrooms around to make room for our new baby, we bought a queen sized bed for them to share. One side is against the wall, the other has a bed rail. They have never slept better! Occasionally they fight over the covers when they first get into bed (like a married couple! :laughing: ). But they settle down quickly (most nights). I often find them curled up together, holding hands in their sleep! :wub: It always makes me wish that I had put them in the big bed together to begin with! Good luck!

9. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I didn't vote. I actually agree with your DH in getting 2 twin beds. My boys were the age of yours when we switched and we just went to 2 twin beds. It was a rough first month, but they did settle down.

10. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

My boys are not ready to transition out of their cribs yet and I plan to keep them in there as long as possible. Their cribs do convert into sort of a toddler bed, which I may try. Right now we can't even get our boys to sleep in the same room, which is a total drag. If they improve (i.e. start to be able to sleep through each other's noises, wake up less, etc.) then I'd like to put them together and I have thought a lot about putting them together in a double rather than getting two singles. I think it really depends on the individual children. I think they'd have to be pretty sound and tolerant sleepers to share a double bed.

11. clkafka

clkafka Well-Known Member

We are no where near getting out of their crib, but we have a queen bed we are going to put on the floor when we do transition. We did that with our son with one side pushed up against the wall and a bed rail on the other side. But he was easy to transistion because he spent the first half of the night in his crib and then the rest of the night with us so he was used to sleeping in a bed. He was 11 mn also. You can always try the full mattress since you have it already. My thought is that throughout the years, we will try different things as far as sleep because their needs and wants will change. But I am pretty non-conventional.