Are my boys telling me that they are ready for solids?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jnholman, Sep 11, 2009.

1. jnholman

jnholman Well-Known Member

My once great sleepers now wake up 2-4 times at night. Yes, they are teething, but I usually can get them back to sleep. Jonathan would not go back to sleep until I fed him last night. They usually have 4 bottles a day (9oz each) and today they had 5, plus one since Jonathan ate earlier in the day.

I got the go ahead from the pedi at their 4 month appt to start solids, but I really wanted to wait until they were 6 months. Are they telling me that they need more than formula?

Help, just want to do right by my boys,
    Jenn

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm not sure if that's what your boys are trying to tell you. Our pedi had us start solids at 4 months but at that time it was more for practice then anything, they were still getting most of their nutrients and calories from formula. I can't say that adding solids helped my two sleep any better, but it might be worth a shot for your two and see if anything changes. Good luck!

3. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

We did solids at 6 months but had rice cereal in their bottles around 3 months. They didn't STTN until 7 months and that was after CIO.

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

50+ ounces of formula is a lot! Personally, yes, I would start them on solids and see how they do.

5. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

I agree, I'd give it a shot.
    Do you have different types of formula? Here (UK) there is the basic formula and then a different one 'for hungrier babies'. All the formula brands do this within their own range. If you really want to hold off on solids maybe you could try that (if it's an option).

6. rebekahj

rebekahj Well-Known Member

How long have they been eating more? Could it just be a growth spurt?

7. jnholman

That what I am thinking....and he slept all night when I gave Jonathan that. We have not had a full nights sleep in a week! Its hard once you start sleeping through and then all of the sudden not any more!

They have been eating 36 oz of formula for at least two months. Both boys are over 17 pounds and they are not rolly polly...

This is crazy I know,
    Jenn

8. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I started all my older kids on solids at 5 months. If your pedi has given you the green light to get started, I would give it a try. That is a lot of formula in one day!

9. rebekahj

rebekahj Well-Known Member

I actually meant how long have they been eating an extra bottle from their usual? If they suddenly want more, it can be a growth spurt and just give them more for a few days. Otherwise there doesn't seem to need to go to solids if you don't want to. They seem to be doing just fine on formula!

10. ambernruby

ambernruby Well-Known Member

I don't think it would hurt to try them on them solids. Our sleeping was at it's very worst at 5months old, we started solids at 4months but they did not sttn till 7months old. We did CIO at 5.5mth old but still fed once in the night.. my girls have never ever had a 9oz bottle, they eat little and often. Sorry i'm babbling now, yes try the solids is all i came onto say lol

11. jnholman

They have been having an extra bottle for about 3 days. Jonathan will finish them, but David wont finish the last two. One 1-2oz left in the bottles. I think that I am going to give it a try with rice cereal for a few days. I am going back to work in a couple of weeks, so I might as well try. If they are not ready, I am sure they will let me know.

Now, all I have to do is figure this out! What is the feeding schedule going to be.....great another change!

Jenn

12. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

My DD had been STTN pretty consistently for a couple of months and then started night waking to nurse at 5 months. I started her on some rice cereal and that really seemed to help her. However with the boys, they were getting tons of cereal in their bottles due to reflux and it never helped them. I say give it a try and see how it goes.

13. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My pedi doesn't like to see my babies eating over 34-36 oz of formula a day, that's just too much for them. For the first few weeks your boys won't be eating enough to help satisfy their hunger, but once they get the hang of it, you can start making their solids an actual "meal" and decrease or cut out one of their bottles.

My babes are now getting 2 solids meals a day (2 jars of stage 2 food to share each meal), and 4 8 oz bottles a day. But my little girl rylee is well over 20 lbs and the ped has me putting a little extra water in her bottles so she's not getting quite so much formula, her growth curve isn't "curving" anymore it's starting to go vertical! :lol:

Definitely try the solids and see how they do! :)