Are toddlers just annoying?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by rebekahj, Oct 26, 2010.

1. rebekahj

rebekahj Well-Known Member

After a 'colorful' incident this morning with 'washable' markers, I snapped at one of my boys 'Do you have to ruin everything you touch'? With the constant food throwing, whining, clinging, fighting, biting, temper-tantrums, I'm wondering if I just have no patience or if toddlers are truly annoying.

1 person likes this.
  2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Toddlers can be annoying, or so I think :laughing: I know it annoys me to have repeat myself a hundred times and have the kids do all the things that push my buttons (whining and constant repeating of same thing over and over again, tantrums, fighting). I feel like some days they deliberately test me. I've never had much patience to begin with and some days my toddlers just take me there. I think it's just the age, hang tough Momma :hug:

1 person likes this.
  3. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Eh, everyone is annoying, some of the times. You just get so little from the relationship right now that it becomes overwhelming when you have to give and give and give and give. They will get better when they learn the rules about life, then they turn into teenagers :)

3 people like this.
  4. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

They're totally annoying, which is why it's a really good thing they're so stinking cute. It must be an evolved defense mechanism to ensure the survival of the human race. :p

2 people like this.
  5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That is an amazing way to think about it and 100% true.

1 person likes this.
  6. rebekahj

rebekahj Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think I'm not cut out to be a SAHM, not that I'd be any good at being a working away from home mom either. I think I'm only worth being a SAHM with a full-time staff! :silly:

7. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think you are in my brain! I was just saying something very similar to my husband this morning.. he didn't seem to think that we'd be hiring a staff any time soon though :laughing:

Oh and as I type this I have an 18 month old screaming his head off for no apparent reason. I am trying very hard to ignore him so he'll get the hint that it's not cool to do that. In about 10 seconds I am going to lose it.

1 person likes this.
  8. betha

betha Well-Known Member

I've been wondering the exact same thing!! We had a bad day yesterday (major meltdown at story time by DS-super loud and very public). I snapped at both of them several times after that. It was so frustrating. I spent the rest of the day online looking for jobs. Today I'm in a better space. I might hold off on the job search until the next major problem. lol. Mine are at a mother's morning out program right now, so that's probably why I'm much more relaxed!!

1 person likes this.
  9. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

LOL it's funny... I do think they can be annoying but it's more the "mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy" thing that drives me nuts. However my oldest is 10 and he is REALLY annoying :laughing: The little ones annoy him to no end, so it works out perfectly in my world :spiteful: :lol:

1 person likes this.
  10. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

YES they totally can be! Like PP though, enjoy this annoying time b/c the annoying gets different as they get older. My 8yo still whines but has a little "lip" behind it too AND the fighting between the older two, yikes.

1 person likes this.
  11. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

it makes me understand why wild animals eat their young!

12. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:rofl:

toddlers are definitely annoying.

but i agree with Valerie - they can also be darn cute. i think it tends to depend on how much sleep i got last night. ;)

13. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

This:
    And this:
    :laughing:

14. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When I read the title I just had to respond, even though my girls are now 3. They were their most annoying between 18 - 24 months, and now 3 is even worse. I got a break for the year when they were 2, but just get ready for 3 b/c they never stop whining and fighting.

15. ronee75

ronee75 Well-Known Member

great post to make us all laugh (well, maybe except for aimee's whose just scared me about what's to come!)...have 20mo old girls i totally am feeling the annoying stage, as well as the crying, whining, fighting, and clinging stage! i don't remember my oldest being like this when she was this age, but then again she went to daycare so i really didn't have to deal with her that much! but i do recall thinking that the age of 3 was the worst, so i think aimee is right and there's much worse to come yet...yikes!!

16. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

Little kids: small problem, big kids: BIG problems.

Sometimes we all feel like we are not cut out for our tasks - the problems or our lives - but we are.
    Have faith! It's a tough age, but it'll pass and then you'll remember it with a laugh.

17. goofyjilly

goofyjilly Well-Known Member

I totally agree with everyone here. Today my hubby just told me I should go back to work since I look like I am about to have a nervous breakdown. For me, working would make it so much worse. Today was just a bad morning, twins' non-stop crying, UGH! It isn't easy dealing with 17 month olds and a 3 1/2 year old. I just wish I had a day off like people do with their jobs, a few hours here and there, mainly because it is nighttime and they are sleeping. Then being a SAHM would be better, to be perfect I would need a staff, lol! The 24/7 gets to be too much as I am sure many of you guys would agree with. I can understand my frustrations!

18. Kateryna

Kateryna Well-Known Member

OMG! Love this topic!

YES! They are! I think once they hit 15 months, they just test every little thing you do. Also it drives me nuts when after spending money for toys, they still find it more entertaining to pull my sheer curtains with their teeth!!!