Are you gettting headaches too?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mrsfussypants, Dec 17, 2006.

1. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

My latest complaint (and let's be honest...there are quite a few!) is horrible headaches. it's in the exact same place every day (on the left side behind my ear and over my eye) and tylenol does nothing for it. Are you getting them too? Is this one of the millions of "normal" side effects of growing two people? Ay-yi-yi I just want some relief! Have you had any success with anything other than tylenol? Last time I asked about heartburn you guys gave me some great tips, and now that is totally manageable for me, so I'm hoping you'll have some suggestions about this as well!! Thanks......Reyna

2. mrsfussypants

My latest complaint (and let's be honest...there are quite a few!) is horrible headaches. it's in the exact same place every day (on the left side behind my ear and over my eye) and tylenol does nothing for it. Are you getting them too? Is this one of the millions of "normal" side effects of growing two people? Ay-yi-yi I just want some relief! Have you had any success with anything other than tylenol? Last time I asked about heartburn you guys gave me some great tips, and now that is totally manageable for me, so I'm hoping you'll have some suggestions about this as well!! Thanks......Reyna

3. witmuch

witmuch Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed with migrains at the age of 12 and suffered with migrains all through my first 3 pregnancies. i haven't had a major one in 3 years. but i can tell you that a majority of my migrains were caused by stress, sinus, and crying. but i found that since i didn't have my prescription any more i took sinus medication and that cleared mine up within an hour or so. i haven't had any this time yet, but i have my sinus tension reliever handy. i usually use sudefed but i have to ask my OB if that is ok to use still if i have any migrains this time around. i have found that tylenol never worked for my migrains or for just plain head aches. i have a high tolerance of pain and pain medication so either a little or a lot can knock me down. if you are having a lot of drainage from your sinus due to pregnancy then i would shoot for sinus migrain or headache relief with the tension reliever. it sounds like what you are having are from tension. mine always started behind my ear and hit my forehead within 20 minutes of the first simptom. it is not uncommon for headaches or migrains during pregnancy but you do have to watch what you take to get rid of them.
    hope that helps some.
    lots of love!
    meshell

4. Boni

Boni Well-Known Member

Hi Reyna, I too have suffered migrains my entire life almost, but it is worse now during the pregnancy (mine is hormonal) I spoke to my doctor and he subscribed some medication to me. I also found that drinking a lot of water helps, as does lying down in a dark quiet room. A cold press behind my neck seems to help to. I get my headaches on the left side too.

5. mrsfussypants

I've never had a migraine before, and I don't know if what I'm getting now qualifies as one--but maybe it is! Having the same headache for days in a row with no end feels like it might as well be one. I will definitely ask my OB next time I see her about them. thanks ladies...

Reyna

6. Boni

Boni Well-Known Member

Hi Reyna,

Migraine does last for several days and is concentrated at one side of your head only. Sometime you get a stiff neck too. It can be very painful, so I would like to suggest that you ask your doctor for someting asap. Left untreated it normally results in vomiting and you can pass out. Not a nice feeling. Good luck my friend.

7. Marie_B

Marie_B Well-Known Member

Hi Reyna! I had these types of headaches usually before I get my period so I know it's really hormonal. Around my 14th week I suffered terrible migraines as well. My OB allowed me to take tylenol and even wrote me a prescription for vicodin. I chose to go to a chiropractor instead to have these relieved. It took two weeks for me. They say the increased blood flow and hormones dilates the blood vessels and causes these delibitating headaches. The neck adjustment help alleviate the already irritated and dilated blood vessels. Good Luck and get well!

PS Ice packs helped a lot for me too!

8. ireland37

ireland37 Well-Known Member

I had terrible headaches this pregnancy weeks 14-20 or so. Was told it was probably hormonal/migraine caused by pregnancy. If it's not one thing it's another!

9. momoftheforest

momoftheforest Well-Known Member

Hi Reyna. I am having terrible migraine headaches now too. Have been getting them everyday now for the past 3 weeks. Doc says tylenol, cold compress, and naps, but how do you do all that and work. I am almost 14 weeks and intend to work as long as possible. Im scared of taking so much tylenol so I stopped after it didnt work the first time. I pulled out my Twins pregnancy book (cant remember which one) but it had a whole two page section on headaches and what to avoid. The specifics I remember were dairy, chocolate, caffeine (although it said not to stop suddenly- to go off it gradually) second hand smoke, and fluorescent lighting. Bingo - thats my problem. I work all day in fluorescent lights. So all weekend I kept the house pretty dark (even though we dont use those at home) and today at work I have the lights off ( I have 4 large windows in my office so it stays light anyways)....knock on wood, its 3pm and no headache yet. Im hopeing this works for a while. At least I have one day with no headaches. Good luck. Check in your books if you have any...im sure there were a few more things to avoid that im not remembering.

melissa

10. ReallyTiredMom

ReallyTiredMom Well-Known Member

You know - I have never really had headaches, certainly not migraines. But I can attest to the fact that in the last 4 weeks or so, my head has been throbbing at times. And I feel like I have this 'hot spot' over my right ear, like it's burning or something. What I found that helped was drinking more water (becasue I was possibly dehydrated) and laying down for a bit. Someone told me about those neck rings that you can microwave or freeze - and I think I may go get one of them (it seems that many malls have these for sale in the kiosks that seem to pop up during the holidays). Not sure if that will help, but hopefully it might!

11. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

I've gotten headaches since I was a child, but had quite a few earlier in my pregnancy. My doctor adviced against taking extra strength tylenol, so I took regular strength... it didn't help much. I did find a lot of relief in applying something cold to the area of the head that hurt... I don't have cold compresses at my house, so I used bags of frozen veggies! They really did the trick! The bag, especially corn, molds to your head and helps to restrict the blood vessels causing the pain.
    Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!
    Helen

12. tdemarco01

tdemarco01 Well-Known Member

Hi there,

A mom of twins here who was pregnant last winter. I had headaches

1) just at the time that my hormones were changing from HCG to the pregnancy hormonse at about 12 weeks...

2) whenever I ate something with nitrites/nitrates in it (bacon, cold cuts, hot dogs, things like that)

3) whenever I ate certain fruits (bananas were an issue for me)

there may be a food trigger that's making things worse... just figured I'd throw that out there.

Teri D

13. mrsfussypants

Those are all such good tips. Thank you so much!! I'm definitely going to start watching for certain food triggers, make sure I'm drinking enough water, and use cold compressers (or frozen veggies!) to try and keep it under control. Hopefully I'll be able to tell a difference soon.

Reyna