Are you still finding this hard?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by smiley7, Dec 1, 2010.

1. smiley7

smiley7 Well-Known Member

Ok, Noah and Sophie are 10.5 months and by far things are easier than they were were b/c they sleep at night but still. I am just pooped. I am the only one I know that goes to bed so early and I feel like I am running around with my head cut off and I am one of the lucky ones with great family support and a helping hand most days. The kids have personalities now and that's great but I just feel like i'm running a marathon a daily basis. I run to the stores to get them stuff and frankly I need new clothes :rotflmbo: Well, at least my twins look cute b/c their mom is feeling flustered.

I feel as though something I am doing is wrong. I mean, how can i have great support and such but still feel as though I am overwhelmed? The kids are developing well and for most milestones are ahead of schedule, except that damn sippy/self-feed issue grrr...

Anyways, I am probably just ranting, but in case someone else feels this way.. i'm with ya sistas!!

2. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

Thank you for writing this because I am completely there with you!! I have had a couple of crying fits the past few days. I don't know why I'm feeling so exhausted and overwhelmed and slightly out of control. I'm going out for a girls' night with my best friend tomorrow, so I hope that helps me reset a little bit.

At least yours are sleeping through the night! L&D were sleeping through, but now they like to wake up at midnight or 11 or 10 or 2am. UGH!

Let's just hug it out and hope it all gets better soon. :grouphug:

3. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

YES!!! Still hard!!!! Mine have had a couple of good nights this week so I'm crossing my fingers they actually start to sleep though (although I'm listening to one fussing on the monitor right now...ugghhh!!!). I am still exhausted and feel like I never get anything done, except of course the feeding and the changing and the tidying and the laundry, etc, etc, etc. I keep saying to my friends that I'm still waiting for "easier"...everyone says it's coming...glad to know I'm not alone :).

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I know how you feel. Our boys are standing, cruising, and starting to take a few steps on their own, and into EVERYTHING and I feel like I spend every moment chasing them around. I have lots of help, too, but still most days I am very tired by the end of the day. I can't seem to get myself to bed early, though, because I just need some down time in the evenings.

I am lucky that I do get out at least once a week - my mom and I go shopping with the boys once a week, and sometimes, I even get another time to go out if my mom can come. That makes a HUGE difference. I am going back to grad school in January, so I'm sure most of my free time will have to go to studying then. I hope I can survive it without staying up all night long!

5. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

Its funny, because I feel the same way and I feel so guilty for it. I find that some days are amazing but other days I have no patince and I want to snap. My nights are awesome with the twins, but its the daytime. They are down to one nap now, but the afternoons are hit and miss. You would think that not having a morning nap that they would sleep a long afternoon nap....BUT NOOOOOO. That just sends me over the top. Because I have rushed around all morning to make sure that I get everything that I need to get done so that they can go for their afternoon nap. But then they wake up after 40 minutes of sleep and expect to play....but mama needs to rest after a morning full of crazyness!!!

Olivia has been walking for a few months now so she is independent, but then when she gets tired, she paws for my attention. But Gavin doesn't walk yet and he just sits and cries until I pick him up. He cries ALL THE TIME!

Just typing this makes me tired.

6. Sarah75

Sarah75 Well-Known Member

Honestly for me I find it harder now than when they were newborns. I feel like I am constantly chasing my tail. naps are all over the place due to taking older child to school and picking up, which leaves very cranky babies by dinner time. I have one baby that likes to do the blood curdling scream for no apparent reason often during the day, oh no I am wrong, according to the ped its her personality, wonderful eh ? when its good its really good though and I try and remember how lucky I am to have three healthy children.

7. murtygirl

murtygirl Well-Known Member

my babies are 3 1/2 months now. You guys are scaring me

1 person likes this.
  8. teamturner

teamturner Well-Known Member

I was going to post something similar this morning, but couldn't find the energy. I.am.exhausted. I need 48 hours of sleep, a new wardrobe, and a tropical vacation, none of which are gonna happen!!! Mine turn 9 months tomorrow and I am just praying that their sleep gets better soooooon. I've literally been up since 2 AM this morning because I couldn't settle after they woke up. Neeeed sleeeeep.

9. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The first year is just HARD. No question. But it does get so much easier and better, I promise.. there's so much to look forward to! I will not promise the screaming ends :lol: , but I can promise that everything gets so much more fun. :grouphug:

10. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

My babies turn 3 months tomorrow, and yeah, reading this I feel the same way like you, murtygirl - you guys are scaring me :). Let's hope we can all hang in there!

11. smiley7

smiley7 Well-Known Member

Don't be afraid ladies... just know that things change at different stages and there are still challenges! I would be lying if I said that having twins at any point is just down right easy but there are moments that make it TOTALLY worthwhile. It's just tiring when you've been doing this for a LONG stretch and you start to look around and see that the world goes on and you've been in this stand still for a long time. I do take a day a week and leave the babes behind with grandparents, so that DH and I can be together but we're still pooped.

I think the beauty of this forum is that you can find others who GET you and what you are going through (at any given stage!!!) ....

Thanks for writing ladies, it's nice to know that i'm not alone and that it's not just me losing my patience and being irritable :rolleyes:

My goal for the new year is to get some new clothes, make my hair look right again (instead of being in a messy ponytail) and sleep in (HA HA.. ok the first two are doable!!!).

Have a great day :)

12. christy.fisher

christy.fisher Well-Known Member

Don't be scared. Mine will be 11 months old on Saturday and I actually don't find it that hard now. Sure, I'm tired a lot and I only shower every other day but they play together, play separately, hold their own bottles, one is using a straw sippy cup now, and our play room is baby proofed so they don't get into too much trouble. I'm staying at home now and have them on a schedule and we stick to it pretty well most days. They are also my only children so maybe that's why it doesn't seem as hard for me.

I do have my days when I want to pull out my hair but they only happen every few weeks. It's a little stressful going to someone else's house because then they really get into things (no baby proofing) but at home, it's a piece of cake most days.

One trick that I use is if someone is crying and it's not nap or feeding time, I just throw a pile of puffs on the floor and that distracts them every time. :)

13. ohd1974

ohd1974 Well-Known Member

I am with you on all of this. I sometimes feel like I am missing something, it should be harder right?? The puffs on the floor comment made me spit coffee on my screen-haha. I do that too.

14. christy.fisher

christy.fisher Well-Known Member

Yeah, we go through puffs like crazy around here. :) I read somewhere around here about somebody feeding their babies like chickens ... that's what I do! Just toss puffs on the floor constantly.

I guess every situation is different. I think one thing that helps me is remembering my last trimester and the first three months of newborns. I feel a tad traumatized by it all so now everything seems easy compared to all of that.

Right now I have a baby under my arm picking at my armpit hair! :rotflmbo: I think I need to take the time to shave tomorrow!

15. teamturner

teamturner Well-Known Member

Yea, don't be scared. Mine aren't great sleepers and I need LOTS of sleep, so that's what is hard for me. But I know they'll STTN at some point and, other than that, 6-9 months has been a lot of fun. They play together and are very happy picking up new skills and getting out and about. My refluxy-daughter was so cranky the first few months and is now happy as a clam. So you'll all be fine - sometimes we just need to vent a little to the ladies going through the same stage. Thank goodness for TS.

And I have to agree with the PP that puffs are like kiddy crack. They go wild for them. And I also toss them on the floor based on a tip I'd read from another poster here. Ha.

16. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

OMG...sooo funny. I have a friend who does this...she calls them "shut up food", lol!!! Maybe I should start too!

17. MrsBirch

MrsBirch Well-Known Member

Haha, I am so going to do this!!

Mine are 8 months old, so a bit younger than most of yours but I totally get it. I have one crawling and one close to it and if I'm not pulling on off the other one, I'm pulling them away from something they shouldn't be near! I feel more tired now than I did in the beginning and I'm getting more sleep now - go figure! Plus everytime I think I have this figured out it's time to add another meal to their day, or the time changes, or we are going away and I have to deal with time changes (which is my next post), but I can honestly say I've never been so happy being so tired!

18. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

To those of you with 3 month olds, I think you have it far worse than us with older kiddos. I remember those days and am so glad to be here.

That said, a little venting to people who actually get it is a great outlet. I, too, am totally tired - especially since one of my dear daughters (7.5 mos, 6 adjusted), who formerly STTN like a star, has decided to cry out just about every hour at night... for the last 2 weeks. But that's a different issue.

What has helped me feel like I have it together is hot rollers. Seriously! I got some jumbo rollers (on-line of course - who has time to shop) that heat up quickly. During my girls 30 minute cat naps, I throw them in and apply some eye liner and mascara. The end result is I look like a human, even though I am exhausted. So maybe the eye liner and mascara rival Tammy Faye more than I'd like, but at least I feel a little better and the world (or just the UPS driver who comes to my door) can see I gave it some effort. Plus, though the curls relax, my hair still looks good days later because, lets face it, showers are not daily occurrences.

So, hang in there momma! It's tough, no doubt, we just have to get creative and fake it until we make it!

19. mommaoffour_ohmy

mommaoffour_ohmy Well-Known Member

What she said. :unsure:

20. Anneke

Anneke Well-Known Member

For us, life is still crazy. But it is sooooo much better -hell, not even comparable- to the first few months!

What are those puffs? Never even heard of them, yikes!

21. bbyboo1323

bbyboo1323 Well-Known Member

Im at 15 months and we still have rough times. IMO its somewhat easier than the early days but its just a different challenge! I do not, I repeat DO NOT wish to return to the early days

New moms, dont be scared :) its fun but theres still ALOT of work and its just a blessing now they sleep ha!!

Puff and Crunchies were lifesaves towards the end of the FY, still are now :) I just throw some down on the table or floor and htey go to town. It may allow me a potty break.