Are your twins super shy with people other than MOM and DAD

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by chowtwinsmom, Oct 17, 2006.

1. chowtwinsmom

chowtwinsmom Member

HI All,

I have not been on this site for soo long. But just reading the 6 year old forum, i am wondering do you havein public or with teachers shy kids? But at home they are super chatter boxes and cannot stop [​IMG] with mommy and other immediate family members.....But they kinda forget....I wonder if any of the great parents have the opportunity to experience this. Just an Fyi. I usually call if there are any changed.

2. JenJefLog

JenJefLog Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to Twinstuff. [​IMG] My kids are pretty rambunctious just about everywhere. There have been times when I've wished they were a little more shy! But, for the most part, I am glad they can interact easily with other adults. So, I can't give you any input on shyness, but wanted to welcome you to the site. [​IMG]

3. niftywriter

niftywriter Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Shy? [​IMG] Sputter...My boys, shy? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sigh....I, like Jennifer, have sometimes wished they WERE a little tiny bit shy...but they are NOT, not even a teeny weeny bit! Their outgoing personalities have got us in some hot water sometimes! [​IMG]

It sounds to me like your twins are not shy enough to cause undue alarm...since they are chatty and interested with family and close friends. YOu didn't say how old they are or how much exposure they've had already to the wider world (are they in school yet?). I bet, if they are not yet in school, that you're two chatterboxes will not be shy at all after an initial period of adjustment! [​IMG] [​IMG]

ETA I refreshed my page and saw your ticker saying the children are 6 yrs old. Well, if they started Kindergarten this year, I think you will see them blossoming shortly! [​IMG]

4. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

All of my boys are, and sometimes continue to be, fairly shy around strangers. We always get "Oh they're so quiet!" from teachers and other people we meet. More so our oldest than the twins, though. As B&C get a bit older, they are a bit more talkative with others, especially Craig. I have never minded, though. I was much the same way as a child.

5. Jamesb

Jamesb Well-Known Member

When my boys are out they are rather shy, but if you come to our house expect the third degree!!! They tag team each other the inquisition lasts around an hour!

6. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

My lil sis was this way and still can be with certain people(she's 12). Most kids grow out of it after they have been in school for a couple of years. She still doesn't have alot of friends because of her shyness, but now that she is on the swim team she is getting better.

7. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

Mine are definitely shy "out in public." I get that same, "Oh, they're so quiet," like MamaKim was saying. ALL four of mine are or have been like that. At home, on their own turf they are much more out-going. The older two grew out of their "public shyness" in their teens. I'm assuming it'll be the same with K & B.

8. chowtwinsmom

chowtwinsmom Member

Thank you Katheryn and all the other parents for your reply. [​IMG] My twins with familiar people, that they have warmed up definitely act not as shy. But i know my girls will eventually bloom into social butterflies. But as with any anxious parent i just can't wait...... But like they say patience is a virtue [​IMG]

9. JohnnieKay

JohnnieKay Active Member

I have one shy twin and one very social twin. They are in seperate classes for the first time ever this year. It took the shy one two weeks to feel comfortable with the other kids in her class. Her teacher on the other hand says it's her goal to get her to open up more. I think she comes by it honestly because I was the same way as a child.

10. chowtwinsmom

chowtwinsmom Member

Thank you!!!! [​IMG]

11. Armleylass

Armleylass New Member

We have 10 year old triplets. Two of our kids are shy with both adults and other kids, and take a while to make friends. Our other kids is outgoing, talkative, makes friends easily, and is slightly selfish, and somewhat naughty. They have had the exact same upbringing, but their father is shy and quiet with strangers, and I was shy as a young child but grew out of that in my early teens. Of course, if we had 3 kids who behaved like our livewire, I might run away from home!

12. LisaGoeke

LisaGoeke Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If you came to my home you wouldn't be able to hear yourself talk it is so loud and noisy here. However, unfortunately, at school, they've taken after their shy mom and dad and are really shy. All it takes is them to think they are in trouble and/or doing something wrong and the tears start. Unfortunately my older son is also like this in school and it makes school a lot more difficult. [​IMG]

13. chowtwinsmom

chowtwinsmom Member

Hi Lisa,

thanks for your post. I thought i was the only one with super shy kids. It is very frustrating especially when at home in their own comfort zone. They all act very loud and outspoken. I always them them to stop putting up a front! What can be done?

Chowtwinsmom

14. chowtwinsmom

chowtwinsmom Member

15. Jaimie

Jaimie Well-Known Member

My twins have anxiety so out in public they become mute. At school they are teh same way. They are just now starting to respond to their teachers. At home they are motormouths and never hush up. They are just starting to be less shy around extended family members.

They have a super hard time warming up to strangers though.

16. chowtwinsmom

chowtwinsmom Member

Hi jamie,

Check out selective mutism for kids. I am getting in contact with an expert because i do not want thsi to effect their school performance in any way. I truly wonder if it is a twin thing......

chowtwinsmom

17. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Maybe twins are more prone to it, but I don't honestly think so because my oldest is actually the absolute shyest/quietest out of my three boys. B&C are also but are outgrowing it more rapidly than Sean. He's 16 and I still get the "he's so quiet" thing, although he does have good social skills and is personable. He just doesn't talk much around others, especially adults/teachers.