At how many weeks did you get your anatomy scan?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by KindredSpirits, Jan 18, 2007.

1. KindredSpirits

KindredSpirits Well-Known Member

My OB told me to do it at 18 weeks. I'm dying to confirm the gender of Twin B, we already know Twin A is a boy....

I am on sticky pins and needles and realize I'm feeling alot of anxiety not knowing. I am such a planner, and it is killing me not being able to start shopping (I have pretty gender-specific tastes)Plus I've been calling the babies by the names we already chose, Tristan and Kassandra, since I found out I was having twins very early on... I'd hate to be calling a baby boy Kassandra but I can't shake the feeling that Baby B is a girl. DH and my sisters are also calling the babies by name and all think she's a girl too(I know, we're a bunch of crazies over here, lol)

But if it's another boy, I need to get used to the idea and give him his own identity for his sake and mine too, heh heh.... DH and I can't seem to agree on a 2nd boy's name, as he doesn't like my choice of Brendan which I love. So if it's a boy it might take us a while to agree on a name, so the sooner we know the better...

I scheduled the anatomy scan for Feb. 9th which is 3 weeks away and that will put me at 18 weeks 5 days.

Question, I really want to change it to Feb. 2nd which is 17 weeks 5 days. I know that's fine for the gender determination. But my Question is, is that close enough to 18 weeks for whatever other anatomy measurements they have to take of the babies?

Thanks,
    Liz

2. KindredSpirits

My OB told me to do it at 18 weeks. I'm dying to confirm the gender of Twin B, we already know Twin A is a boy....

I am on sticky pins and needles and realize I'm feeling alot of anxiety not knowing. I am such a planner, and it is killing me not being able to start shopping (I have pretty gender-specific tastes)Plus I've been calling the babies by the names we already chose, Tristan and Kassandra, since I found out I was having twins very early on... I'd hate to be calling a baby boy Kassandra but I can't shake the feeling that Baby B is a girl. DH and my sisters are also calling the babies by name and all think she's a girl too(I know, we're a bunch of crazies over here, lol)

But if it's another boy, I need to get used to the idea and give him his own identity for his sake and mine too, heh heh.... DH and I can't seem to agree on a 2nd boy's name, as he doesn't like my choice of Brendan which I love. So if it's a boy it might take us a while to agree on a name, so the sooner we know the better...

I scheduled the anatomy scan for Feb. 9th which is 3 weeks away and that will put me at 18 weeks 5 days.

Question, I really want to change it to Feb. 2nd which is 17 weeks 5 days. I know that's fine for the gender determination. But my Question is, is that close enough to 18 weeks for whatever other anatomy measurements they have to take of the babies?

Thanks,
    Liz

3. karyinny

karyinny Member

i didn't find out until 20 weeks. It'll be here before you know it and you'll still have 15+ weeks to plan!

4. kimber074

kimber074 Well-Known Member

my dr said not to do it until closer to 19 weeks. he felt that there was just a better chance of seeing everything they needed at that point. I was 18 wks, 6 days and they said that was perfect.

5. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I found out at 16 weeks that baby A was a girl and they couldn't be sure with baby B until 18 weeks! she's also a girl!! I already had 3
    boys so I didn't truly believe it and made them show me at every ultrasound that they could see girl parts!! and at the hospital
    when they were born 2 weeks ago - my husband was changing Addison's
    first diaper - I told him that I knew it was a strange request but
    I needed him to turn her bassinet my way so that I could see girl parts!!! sure enough they are both sweet little girls!! I remember the
    feeling of not knowing what one of them was - I wanted to buy things but because I wanted their clothes to coordinate or match - I could not just buy one of anything so I had to wait a couple of weeks!!
    I did not have a strong feeling toward boy or girl with her - but I did with all 3 of my boys - so I think there is something to the mommas feeling - maybe Kassandra is really a girl!!

6. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

Most anatomy scans take place at 20 weeks so you are already doing pretty well since your OB was letting you get it at 18 weeks. I understand the anticipation. [​IMG] We really, really wanted to know what the gender of our *baby* was so I had Paul call the u/s office every day until they had a cancellation and got us in at 19 weeks. [​IMG]

The longer you wait, the more likely they will be able to pick up the sex and be able to see everything they need to see.

7. Jordari

Jordari Well-Known Member

I had mine at 20 weeks; that's when my OB said they could best get the measurements they needed. I understand your desire; I'm holding off on finding out - but not sure I'll make it all the way!

It's not so much for colors or stuff on this end: DH and i agree on boys' names and i'd like to save some research, discussion and potential arguments about girls' names if we can, but - we shall see. I figure that during one of these u/s someone is going to flip over and i'll see -and since they're ID, i'll know what both of them are!

8. Mandy M.

Mandy M. Well-Known Member

I had mine at 17.5 weeks and they couldnt' tell baby B's gender. I had to wait until 24 weeks!

9. Cabbyk82

Cabbyk82 Well-Known Member

I had mine done at 18 weeks and confirmed the genders. Though, at my 12 week peri ultrasound my Dr made an educated guess at the genders, and turned out to be right! If you get good angles I think you can tell earlier.

10. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

my anatomy scan was scheduled for 20 wks. because of concerns about a genetic defect, it was moved to 18 wks. i dont' think my peri would have moved it sooner. I know you're really anxious to find out, but I would imagine they'd keep it scheduled at the 18th week. good luck!! i love all 3 names, by the way.

11. Evanly

Evanly Well-Known Member

The earliest for the anatomy scan our office would do was 19 weeks - they said it had to be that late in order to be able to rule out any issues.

That being said, during our every other week peri visit - we were able to know we were having boys at 15 weeks, so my only concern for the anatomy scan was to make sure the babies were okay.

12. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

We found out the sexes at 17 weeks. I think 16 is the earliest they can do it, and the tech had suggested to us that we wait until 18 weeks to schedule... but I just couldn't wait that extra week!
    Helen

13. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

I had my first one at 14 weeks, and then another at 20 weeks and 24 weeks. After that, I had then with the peri and/or hospital whenever he wanted to do them (every 10-14 days).

14. Marie_B

Marie_B Well-Known Member

Had the anatomy scan close to 20 weeks,but found out the genders at 15 weeks. Boys are easier to tell though. [​IMG]

15. SilvrHeart

SilvrHeart Well-Known Member

I'm having mine next week, when I'll be 18w3d. The peri guaranteed we'd know gender then.

16. KindredSpirits

Thanks ladies so much for your input and your stories. Funny how some of you could tell so early and some not at all.
    I had resigned to doing it on Feb. 9th but spoke to my OB, and she gave me the OK to go ahead and do it on the 2nd, where I'll be 17 weeks 5 days. She said since it's twins, I'll need more u/s anyway, so if I need to go again, then that's another chance I'll get to see my babies!! [​IMG]

I was so happy she was cool with it. I'm excited now, only 2 weeks to go!!!!! YAY!!!!!!! [​IMG]

17. MomToBeX2

MomToBeX2 Well-Known Member

My doctor wanted me to do my large ultrasound at 20 weeks. I turned 20 weeks on Christmas day, so he let me schedule it early. At 19w3d, we found out the genders and measured the brains, hearts, and femurs. However, they were still too "deep" and/or small (I can't remember exactly what they said) to do the anatomy. The ultrasound center told me that with twins, I have to go back there every 4 weeks anyway and that they'd just do it next time I had to come in. Which works out, because at my last appointment my dr told me to schedule an u/s with them to measure my cervix around the same time I'd need to go back anyway... so I'm having another half hour long u/s on Thursday.

So the short answer to your question is... I would keep the appointment for 18w5d. You'll have a better shot at having the anatomy stuff done. I know it's killer to wait, but in the grand scheme of things, 1 week isn't that big of a deal. [​IMG]