at what age did yours sleep through the night?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lbzg, Sep 8, 2010.

1. lbzg

lbzg Well-Known Member

ok, when did yours start sleeping through the night???

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine first started STTN at just over 2 months.. which made it all the more painful when they stopped at about 6 months and continued to demand night feedings until about 10 months. Since we did sleep training at close to 10 months they only have trouble when they're sick or teething.

3. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My girls did not start sleeping through the night until they were 5 months. My son was at 6 weeks, but the girls just wouldn't cooperate :D

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Mine are 8 months and still rarely make it through the night without being up at least once or twice. They were STTN for about a week at 5 months, then they started teething, followed by two colds, followed by finding out that they can't have dairy OR eggs, and so we still haven't gotten them back to sleeping. They are teething all four top teeth at once now, so we have been up a LOT the last week. I'm hoping once we get through this round of teeth we can work on the sleep, but there doesn't seem to be much too point to doing sleep training when they wake up obviously in pain. I refuse to just let them cry when they are clearly in pain and not just awake, you know?

5. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

Hahahaha......just this week. Which puts the twins at 9 months!

6. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

My girls were 11 months old before they were consistently STTN. They were preemies, so for the first few months we had to wake them up for feeds, and then after that they would occasionally (usually not on the same night) sleep all the way through. For the longest time I thought they would NEVER sleep through the night, but they did. Hang in there, it does get better! :hug:

7. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

O was close to 4 months, E waited until he was 6 months. They do stir, ask for the paci occasionally, and had a few episode of bad teething, but they have been STTN.

8. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

DD at 10 weeks actual/4 weeks adjusted
    DS at about 5 months actual/3.5 months adjusted

We let them decide on their own when they were ready--we didn't do any type of sleep training.

9. stephsoss

stephsoss Well-Known Member

Mine have slept through the night since 9 & 12 weeks. We are so blessed.

10. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

My oldest was 3 weeks old. For the twins, Nathaniel was 4 weeks old William was 9 weeks old.

11. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The twins were 7wks bc DH and I were just talking the other day about how weird it was the first time they did it they did it together!:) Hannah was 9wks....no sleep training other than "tanking" them up with food during the day:)

12. lizzbeech

lizzbeech Guest

Can I also further this thread and ask HOW you got them to STTN? (Hopefully this is helpful to the OP too!)
    Did you not pick them up immediately upon crying? - Or wait a few mins before getting them? Etc.

And were they formula fed or BF?

13. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

We did CIO at 5 months. It mostly was for ds, but we always woke dd if ds woke up for his middle of the night feeding. From about 2 months on they only woke once. It took two nights for ds to sleep completely through without a crying episode and they have slept through ever since. Making sure they got plenty of food throughout the day, a consistent bedtime routine, an earlier bedtime, and CIO for the habit waking (confirmed with the less and less bottle to water method) were key for us.

14. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We were transitioning the twins to formula when they started to STTN and I'm breastfeeding Hannah. Basically all I've done is not let them go more than 3 hours between feeds during the day, pick a bedtime (we started with 10p) and after that feed they ran the night.
    So if they eat at say: 7a, 10a, 1p, 4p, 7p, 10p....next feeding would be when they woke up. Sometimes they woke up before 3 hours, most times it was right on 3 hours and then gradually as they got bigger and older they stretched it out:) We would start our day at 7a and continue on.
    I will say its been harder with Hannah bc 1. I have the twins to tend to and 2. I don't know how much she eats exactly but she is gradually getting on a better "day" schedule:)

Once they are older and have sufficiently maintained weight gain and are eating well you could always try to offer a paci and see if thats all they want. I would not pick them up bc if they are just whimpering/fussing you will wake them up fully but if they are full blown screaming I'm one to tend to just pick them up and cuddle for a minute...you will be able to tell if they are hungry then:) Good luck...you never realize how precious sleep is until its taken from you!

15. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My boys were six months. We did one night of CIO, and there was no looking back!

Annabella marches to the beat of her OWN drum...lol...and consistently STTN at 12 months. She did do it much earlier, even say at 4 months. But she would STTN for two weeks, then not for three weeks... She's a diva! ;)

16. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

13 months for the boys, and even then it was about 3-4 nights a week. They didn't STTN most nights until 18 months old.

My almost 4 months old doesn't STTN, in fact, she's gotten much worse over the last month. Lord, help me if she's like her brother's. I will lose my mind.

17. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Around 3 months, we never did CIO or anything.

18. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Almost 4 months. After 2 months, we stopped offering pacifiers, swadling. And they're just fine

But I start night feeding them again, because they're teething and not intaking enough milk in the day.they eat way better when they're asleep. Dunno why!!

19. kerina313

kerina313 Well-Known Member

My twins are 4 months/3 months adjusted and they just started to do it. We were feeding them at 4 hour intervals -- so I was up at 3:30 every morning. They then started doing hard 5 oz and then the next feed only 2. So we decided to up the formula to 6 oz every 5 hours and so the last feed is at 10:30-11. They then sleep until 6-6:30.

20. betha

betha Well-Known Member

12 months. We tried all of the "no cry" sleep solutions without much help. We eventually did a modified CIO, and then full CIO at one year. We were all exhausted!! The second year was much better for us.

21. NaturallyBaby

NaturallyBaby Well-Known Member

Still waiting at 6 months. DS is usually only up twice, but DD can be up 3-5x.

22. juliannepercy

juliannepercy Well-Known Member

Our boys were 11 weeks. They feed at 10pm and sleep until 6am... we often have to wake them for this feed (DH does it with bottles before work and I pump)then they usually sleep again until 9am. We put them down after the 7pm feed and wake them for the 10pm before they go for the night.

Things I think have helped...

- keeping them on a routine during the day... we follow the EASY plan (eat, activity, sleep, you)
    - feeding them every 3 - 3.5 hours during the day
    - putting them down drowsy but awake.. they never fall asleep in our arms so they know how to fall asleep on their own
    - swaddling

We used to wake them at 3am for a feed and decided not to after awhile... they woke for a few nights out of habit. We let them cry a bit, gave them a soother and after a few nights it was done.

Seems like everyone is different. Getting sleep back has been amazing... I don't know how those of you going for months and months without do it. Wow! :)

23. teamturner

teamturner Well-Known Member

Ladies! I am JEALOUS of all of you whose littles are STTN !! Ours are 6 months, 15lbs11oz and 16lbs2oz and they still wake up several times a night to eat. Argh. They have slept in 12 hour stretches, but it's very uncommon. Kudos to all of you and bank some sleep for me!!

24. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

My DS started STTN (until 5 am - he always wakes up when DH gets up and needs some help settling back to sleep) around 8 months and is pretty good about it unless he is really ill or teething; if he wakes up at night, I know something is wrong.

My DD still does not sleep through the night at nearly 15 months, she will do so once or twice a week if we are lucky, but most nights she is very restless and needs of lots of cuddling and reassurance that we are there during the night. She does seem to have bad dreams which may be one of the reasons she needs us to feel safe. As she was very lightweight at the beginning despite being full-term, she was hungry at nights and needed the extra breastfeeding sessions at night to thrive. It was a lot of work to get her to quit nursing every few hours during the night once she was growing well. We had hoped she would start STTN after she stopped nursing so often at night, but that has not happened. It is exhausting but this seems to be what she needs at the moment and we continue hoping for more sleep. BTW: we never tried CIO, it does not fit with our parenting style.

25. swilhite25

swilhite25 Well-Known Member

With the twins, DD slept through at 4 months consistently and DS slept through at 4 1/2 months consistently. With our new DD (breastfed), it was 6 months exactly. She was waking to eat every morning at 3 and weighed 19 pounds so after two nights of cry-it-out (she cried for about 20 minutes each night and that was it) she slept through and has been for a month now. I think it really does depend on the baby, breast or bottle fed and bedtime routines.

26. carrie-

carrie- Well-Known Member

I just posted a reply to another email on sleep... I need all the advice I can get...

My girls will be 7 months next week & don't sleep thru. They wake up a lot. 4 - 6 times EACH, G usually prior to 1am, S usually after 1am.

They are also crazy addicted to their binkies. If they stir and they don't have them in their mouths, they cry for them. My hubby and I probably got contributed to this - because we'd rush into the room and pop the binky back in if we heard them stirring. We were (and still are) worried they would wake the other twin. 9 times out of 10, they take the binky and roll back over and back to sleep. But this still means WE are up 10 times a night. We are tired.

Has anyone had better luck with their little ones sleeping thru the night once they weaned them off the binkies??? And if you did - did you let them CIO or CCIO as you weaned them?

Thanks in advance...

27. HorseyLover

HorseyLover Well-Known Member

This sounds exactly like how my boys were. We didn't want one to wake up the other, so we would rush in to the room at the first cry. We did some sleep training around 5 months - so that we could put them down drowsy but awake. We also did a lot of holding with both when they were teething. But then, the binkie thing got out of control, so at about 8 months, we did CIO... which by the way, I think should be renamed to something else, because it was not harsh like CIO sounds. I think the boys got used to how we helped them back to sleep, and were afraid of the change (which we were afraid to). It took one night, 1 and 1/2 hours of crying total between the 2 boys and they have been fine since. If one awakes a bit and cries for a few seconds, it doesn't wake the other and the they go right back to sleep.

28. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

6 months after CIO

29. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Our boys are not addicted to binkies, although we do give them to them at bedtime and at night if they wake up (they are teething right now, so very fussy at night - 3 top teeth in less than a month so far - yikes!!). Anyway, have you tried a lovie? I hope you know what I mean - I think that is what most people call them. We leave one in the crib with them, and they can get hold of it at night if they need comfort. It is much easier to find that a binkie for them, and it has really seemed to help out guys. We give it to them when we put them down and then just leave it where they can get to it.

30. bbyboo1323

bbyboo1323 Well-Known Member

DD since around 6 months maybe earlier.

DS...never..well he has maybe 10 times, lukcy if its once a week but he wakes up crying every night between 1 and 3..SIGH

31. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

6 months. We did the ferber method and it progressively got them to learn to self soothe so they could fall back to sleep when they woke up at night. They have been sleeping 12-13 hours a night since 10 months.

32. carrie-

carrie- Well-Known Member

So when you did the CIO method (I agree, it should be named something else too!) -- did you take away the binkies at the same time? I do think for the night sleeping it might not be a huge transition - they do fall to sleep on their own, just WITH the binkies. I just hesitate to take them away for other reasons. Call it "Day Care Guilt".

33. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

I think everyone defines STTN differently - mine dropped their 3am bottle at about 2.5 months but did continue to wake up during the night, usually just for a paci. I would say it wasn't until they were 6 months old that they really slept through the night solidly - but then started waking up again because of teething.

34. Anneke

Anneke Well-Known Member

Mine are 9 months old today and don't STTN at all. They never have, but it's been better than what we get now: 3-5 wakings for each baby. This means I'm up 6-10 times a night to nurse as they won't settle for anything else. I'm quite sure they don't wake because of hunger. They need cuddles and closeness. Throughout the day they don't sleep well either. Anyhow, given their history of crying all day long for the first six months of their lifes I'm glad they are now happy most of the time during the day and night.

DH and I have different opinions on what to do to get them to STTN or at least wake only 1x or 2x every night.

Wow, I cannot imagine STTN ever again.

35. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

I haven't had to get up and check on them during the night for about two weeks now, but they were both sick last week, so they were waking up at 4am. Ugh. (This morning was the first morning they woke up at 6:30!!) So I think I can safely say 6.5 months. They haven't been getting a middle-of-the-night bottle since about 3.5-4 months though.