Attn moms of alost one year olds (ish)

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lah17, Jun 18, 2008.

1. lah17

lah17 Well-Known Member

I was just curious...how often do you nurse during the day AND do your babies wake up at night still? I am still nursing happily and will not wean for a while, but I was just curious about other twin moms---I tred to compare it to my singletons, but I worked and they were singletons!!!

Thanks,
    Lisa

2. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you posted this because I was wondering how many times others are still nursing also.
    Mine have been sleeping through the night ever since they were just a few months old. So no night feedings here.
    We are down to 3-4 nursings a day. I would have said 4 just last week, but this week we have been pushing the food and they haven't wanted to nurse as much.
    How about you?

3. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Elizabeth is almost 14 months and nurses 4 times a day. She does sleep through the night. We had to cry it out right before her bday. I should have done it sooner!

4. lah17

lah17 Well-Known Member

Thanks for you reply...
    I am probably nursing about 8 times including overnights. Wow, I didn't realize it was that much. I know the night nursing is more "habit" then hunger and I need to work on that gradually reduce feeding time then cio. They are eating 3 meals with 1 -2 snacks here and there. I guess each baby may be different based on their needs, but it's interesting to compare!!

Lisa

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

At one year old, my two were still getting up during the night and were nursing at least 6 times a day!

6. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

At one, I think we were down to 2-3 x a day and no night nursing.

7. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

I started weaning at a year (and am still - I'm going pretty slowly). Prior to beginning weaning, we were nursing six times in 24 hours, to include once in the middle of the night. I'm now down to wake up, bedtime, and once in the middle of the night, plus if they start "asking" in the middle of the day.

I think the whole waking up in the middle of the night is partly because I"m too wimpy to do cry it out. I know nursing will put them back to sleep, and I know they CAN sleep all night, since they have done it before, but I'd just rather nurse and get them back to sleep so I can go back to sleep. Probably bad, but I figure they'll sleep eventually.

8. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

We are nursing 4-5 times and not at night except if they are sick and wake up. On fussy days it may be one or twom more times but just for 1 -2 minuts.

9. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

We've been nursing ~6x/day for quite a while now (give or take, and when in doubt I always offer). DS sleeps through the night, DD not yet (but I think that's mainly because she doesn't have her own room yet).

I think there is huge variation in this! All babies' wants/needs are different, and same goes for moms too. Around 1 yr, some moms may want to continue nursing, but only at limited times (like bedtime and first thing in the morning); others don't mind frequent nursing all day long. There is no right answer - go with what makes you all happy! :)

10. serranoboys

serranoboys Well-Known Member

I nurse them around 7 am when they wake up, 11 or 11:30 after their first nap, 3 or 4 after their second nap, and 6:30 before bedtime. They went back to STTN at 11 months and it has been fantastic! Before then, they were each getting up 1 to 2 times in the middle of the night.

11. debid

debid Well-Known Member

We were at 4-6 times per day at that age. They stopped their one night session at 11 months. We had a week-long illness right after their 12-month doctor's appointment (dang germy office) and they nursed like crazy then but went back to 4-6 and STTN. We were struggling with weight gain then so I was opposed to trying to push them to drop any sessions and it all worked out on its own.

12. Zabeta

Zabeta Well-Known Member

The boys nurse about 5x per day and not at all at night. Jack started sleeping through around a month ago, Tom maybe 2 or 3 weeks before that. The sessions when they wake up and right after their first nap are pretty serious; any of the last three can be pretty distracted and brief. And I still pump most nights around 11:00pm or so for the freezer and/or breakfast cereal.

13. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Mine nurse 3-4 times per day (more if they are sick and ask for it) and one of them STTN. The other still wakes a few times per night and nurses.

14. lah17

lah17 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies. It sounds like at this age most of you were nursing quite a bit and I am not alone in getting up in the middle of the night. HAve a great day!

Lisa

15. mrsmoon

mrsmoon Well-Known Member

I still nurse around 8 times per day. DS still nurses 1-2 times every night.

16. Username

Username Well-Known Member

One kiddo nurses about every 2-3 hours during the day, more if she is tired, sick, etc. She nurses about 4-6 times at night but with a funky latch since she's not hungry but just wants it in her mouth. Grrrr She doesn't eat much solid food and is very active.

The other kiddo (who uses a paci) sometimes only nurses 3 or 4 times a day and just once at night. She also nurses for much longer when she does. She eats solid food like a horse, but can't walk yet so is more sedentary. I worry that she may wean before 2 years because of the paci, but time will tell.