Babies Gagging Self With Fingers

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Maggie&GarrettsMom, May 16, 2009.

Both my babies have started putting anywhere from two to all five fingers in their mouth and sucking and chewing on them. (They are six months old/four adjusted) The problem is that they are making them selves throw up. I hope this is just a phase, but they are in the 0%tile and 2%tile for weight and DD already throws up 2-5 times a day due to reflux. How long will it be until they grow out of this "phase"?

1. becky5

becky5 Guest

Ack! One of mine did that, I don't remember who it was. Will they take pacis? Or do you not want to go there?

As for the reflux, has the doctor suggested thickening feeds?

2. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Mine guys still do that at 11 months old. Although they do it less often, and they don't throw up.

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Yes, we had that too. It did finally go away. :hug:

4. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

My son did that too ... I posted the exact same thing back then. It lasted quite some time, past 1 yo. He had reflux too (on meds until 9 months). At some point he just stopped doing it. People here advised me not to pay too much attention to it.

5. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Jake did it all the time! He also tended to gag on finger foods or new baby foods. Hang in there! It will pass, but not always very quickly.

6. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

Mine are doing this now and they are teething. I just take their fingers out of their mouths and give them something to chew on. Easier said than done!!!