Babies R Us twin discount - important information

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mkcondrey, Feb 17, 2009.

1. mkcondrey

mkcondrey Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone, Just wanted to share an experience my Dad has had with Babies R Us. He bought us our carseats off of our registery online. I had told him and my stepmom about the twins discount, but I guess they forgot. So, I recently asked them if they had received it when they bought the carseats. (when we registered the store noted we were having twins and it is even on the message portion of the online registery) They said they hadn't so I suggested they call Babies R Us or go to the store and get them to apply it since they should've gotten it. My Dad called Babies R Us and has been told that the DISCOUNT ONLY APPLIES TO IN-STORE PURCHASES (!?). What?? Nobody has EVER told is this. I even went online and looked up the discount policy. Here is what it says:

BABIES"R"US MULTIPLE BIRTH DISCOUNT

Does Babies"R"Us offer a multiple birth discount? We are pleased to inform you of our multiple birth discount. Babies"R"Us defines a multiple birth as parents with two or more babies the same age. We offer our customers 10% off two or more of the same items purchased in the same order (e.g. two cribs, two bedding sets, two strollers, etc.). The discount applies to the following categories only: furniture, bedding sets and baby gear, including car seats, strollers, travel yards, highchairs, swings, gates, exersaucers/walkers and backpack/carriers. Double strollers and matching infant car seats are also eligible for the multiple birth discount. This offer is not available on any special purchase items. Corporate sales do not qualify for the multiple birth discount.

For additional information, please contact your nearest Babies"R"Us store.

Anyway, my Dad is fighting this and spoke to a supervisor. They said they would get back to him about it. But, I wanted to let you guys know about this experience. Part of the reason we decided to register with BRU is because of their discount. It just seems pretty shady of them to distinguish between online orders and in-store purchases especially if ordering off the registery. Honestly, I find BRU to be generally overpriced anyway. I also registered at Walmart because, online, they have a lot of the same things BRU has but for less cost and they offer the free in-store pickup to avoid shipping and handling charges.

If I had known BRU would also be shady in their business dealings then I wouldn't have bothered registering with them at all. And, I certainly would not be lauding them to my family and friends about this nice discount they offer.
    Grrrr!

2. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I've been told by them that it had to be identical items, too. That's fine if you have both girls, but obviously you might choose different carseats or bedding or whatever if you have boy/girl twins. I do have g/g twins, but happened to buy 2 booster seats at the same time for older kids. They were exactly the same, except for the patterns, as one was for a boy and one for a girl. And they wouldn't give me the discount. Since it wasn't truly for twins, I didn't fight it, but it irritated me.

3. Angelsamb

Angelsamb Well-Known Member

Thanks, I didn't know they had a discount for twins!

4. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Yeah, they don't honor it online. It must be an instore purchase and from what our store told us, it had to be two identical items more than $50. So you can't get two matching shirts (even the ones that say "twins" on them). They also NEVER bring up the discount. You have to ask for it. It's pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

5. Vnesa2009

Vnesa2009 Well-Known Member

Its good you posted this, I did the math and even with the discount Walmart was still much less expensive there only drawback is a small in store selection. But I still only registered w/ Walmart its worth it to wait for the in store free shipping.

6. kitkat72783

kitkat72783 Well-Known Member

They are over priced and I think its rediculous that they dont state it in there policy online/instore.....this a store that is completely about selling baby stuff nothing else, it doesn't make sence to me for them to exclude the policy from online orders. seems shady.

I registered there mainly because it was the closest store to everyone and the most selection....however I've been seaching for all the same stuff on walmart and burlington coat factory and then just crossing them off my registry as I get stuff on my own. Also Burlington Coat Factory is always cheaper than babies r us on everything and they offer 20% twin discount not 10% :D

7. korie99

korie99 Well-Known Member

I had called them and asked about online purchases and the multiples discount a few weeks ago, and the person on the other end had no clue what I was talking about. I had to explain the twin discount to HIM. :rolleyes:

This weekend I purchased 2 identical Graco carseats in different patterns (1 a boy, 1 a girl). When I asked about the twin discount, the cashier told me that she really shouldn't give it to me b/c it's on identical items only, but she understood that 1 was a boy and 1 was a girl, so she'd do it for me. I don't think anyone over there at BRU is on the same page about this discount!

8. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(mommymeg @ Feb 18 2009, 07:06 AM) [snapback]1194563[/snapback]
    They also NEVER bring up the discount. You have to ask for it. It's pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

That's pretty much true of any retail outlet that gives a twin discount. I know at Carter's or OshKosh (can't remember which), I asked for the discount, they don't automatically give it. Any retail store is the same way...they are not going to give you $$ off unless you produce a coupon or ask for it.

9. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

They did give me the discount when we bought our convertable car seat and one was black and one was pink and brown. i had to get a manager out to talk to us.
    asking him why my son had to sit in a pink seat or my daughter in a black seat insted of one in each color. besided the color they were the same seat. i kept saying even though they are a boy and a girl they are still twin. we got the discount. sometimes you just need to make a scene. my mom ueed to work in retail and said the crazy people( i guess that would include me :) that made a big scene in the middle of the store were the ones the managers wanted to fix there problem asap and get them out the door.

10. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thanks for posting this information. I'm sure it will be helpful for our Expecting Moms. :)

11. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(moski @ Feb 18 2009, 08:31 AM) [snapback]1194631[/snapback]
    That's pretty much true of any retail outlet that gives a twin discount. I know at Carter's or OshKosh (can't remember which), I asked for the discount, they don't automatically give it. Any retail store is the same way...they are not going to give you $$ off unless you produce a coupon or ask for it.

I was pleasantly surprised to the contrary the other day at The Children's Place. I didn't have a coupon, but the cashier scanned a 15% off coupon for me anyway - without my even asking. It's rare, but it really makes me what to shop there more!

12. mkcondrey

mkcondrey Well-Known Member

QUOTE(kitkat72783 @ Feb 18 2009, 08:58 AM) [snapback]1194605[/snapback]
    They are over priced and I think its rediculous that they dont state it in there policy online/instore.....this a store that is completely about selling baby stuff nothing else, it doesn't make sence to me for them to exclude the policy from online orders. seems shady.

I registered there mainly because it was the closest store to everyone and the most selection....however I've been seaching for all the same stuff on walmart and burlington coat factory and then just crossing them off my registry as I get stuff on my own. Also Burlington Coat Factory is always cheaper than babies r us on everything and they offer 20% twin discount not 10% :D

I didn't know about Burlington Coat Factory's discount - 20% is really good. Thanks for the information. I have been doing what you're doing too with deleting things off the BRU registery whenever I find them cheaper elsewhere. I guess I am just more upset for my family and friends who will likely buy off the BRU registery. BRU is one of the only baby super stores that has locations all over the country which is why I think so many people use it. But, we have been really disappointed with how they handle their business and price their items. My husband always says he feels like the store "sucks the life out of him" whenever we go there. Ha!

13. doublej's

doublej's Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info because I didn't think they had a twin discount at all. :D

14. andgoody

andgoody Well-Known Member

Wow... thanks for this info. I'm registered at BRU and never heard a thing about this. It's a shame cuz someone has already bought two single strollers for us and two high chairs. Identical too. That aggervates me. I would hope that they mentioned the discount to my friend/family member who purchased these items.

15. aandja79

aandja79 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Dielle @ Feb 17 2009, 09:08 PM) [snapback]1194164[/snapback]
    I've been told by them that it had to be identical items, too. That's fine if you have both girls, but obviously you might choose different carseats or bedding or whatever if you have boy/girl twins. I do have g/g twins, but happened to buy 2 booster seats at the same time for older kids. They were exactly the same, except for the patterns, as one was for a boy and one for a girl. And they wouldn't give me the discount. Since it wasn't truly for twins, I didn't fight it, but it irritated me.

Maybe it depends on the BRU store you go to. When we bought some of our gear, we were told that while the items had to be $50 or more, they only had to be the same sort of item, they didn't have to be identical, or even the same brand. So, you could get two different cribs, or two different car seats etc, and still get the discount. Sounds like BRU need to have a better communications system going on and figure out exactly what their policies are.

16. BabyMoPlusThree

BabyMoPlusThree Well-Known Member

Gosh, this is so confusing! When they use the word ORDER in their description, it makes it sound like it applies to online orders!

Luckily, we were planning to get the cribs and mattresses in-store, not online, so that should not be a problem- but I would find it very annoying if someone bought things from my registry and the discount was not honored!

I am glad to hear about the Burlington Coat Factory discount.

17. vyckie72

vyckie72 Well-Known Member

I never even knew about this discount. I wonder if my MIL can still get the discount for our double stroller. We still have to get the car seats and swings and bouncers. Luckily I'm having 2 boys so it will all be identical stuff, but I wish I would have known about the discount earlier. Thanks for the info.