baby #5 is a challenge!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Island, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Island

Island Active Member

Baby Ike graced us with his appearance in the big wide world just over a month ago... He's a cutie pattooti but he seems to be far more challenging that any of the other boys sleep wise!

I began weening this week as I'm going back to work and Ike will be with a nanny and another baby who is the same age. to save the nannies sanity I want him in a routine (the same as the other babies) and taking formula asap!

I'd love some tips on how to get Ike to stop cat napping (20 minutes naps ever hour or so) and do a solid nap in the middle of the day (when he wakes up mid sleep how should i settle him to sleep a little longer?)
    he is quite fussy! and very loud!

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Congratulations on little Ike! My 3rd (and last) was a much better sleeper than my twins. That said, he slept better at a newborn stage than my twins did at 3! My twins were 30-45 minute nappers. My suggestions would be to watch for tired signs (rubbing eyes, yawning) and about every 1.5 hours put him down for a nap. That is a pretty typical amount of awake time babies have. Good luck and WTG trying to make it easier on a nanny! :)

3. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

My baby number 6 is giving me a run for my money! He makes me feel like he is my first baby and I have no idea what to do!! He is colicky - the first of 6 to have colic!! I don't have any good advice just CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

4. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations:) When he wakes, how do you settle him now?
    I would try swaddling, pacis, white noise, all that good stuff. If none of those help he is young enough that I would give him a bottle.

5. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

My twins are 6 weeks old now and my biggest challenge is having them sleep at the same time!
    Here are the things I would try:

Why is he waking up? Does he have a wet nappy or wind? Especially if he is going on formula - I've found that with my twin on formula, she needs a really good burp after and during each feed, otherwise she will not sleep for long (she is fussy and loud too) - she takes a paci (against all my good intentions!) which is unfortunate for all of us if it falls out before she sleeps! But it really helps to soothe her.

I've also found that they really need to be swaddled for them to have a good sleep. I've seen them wake themselves up jerking their arms after 20 minutes when DH has not swaddled them as tight as I have. This is one major factor in them sleeping longer, for me.

Dirty diaper always throws out the sleep with my bubs.

As PP have said, I try to make sure that they are asleep within 1-1.5 hours of waking, although this doesn't always work out that way. Especially look for the tired signs, yawns etc.

I would try to soothe by patting and shushing instead of picking up each time he wakes. A couple of weeks ago, my twins were doing the same thing, and I would rock them in their rocker when they woke up (kept them in their rocker for sleeps during the day) and sometimes they would fall asleep again without me picking them up. It's got easier.

I admire you for going back to work, I don't know how I would manage work and babies that young - I don't even go out hardly! And I must say you are a going to be a super employer for wanting to get the routine for the nanny - I would let the nanny handle it LOL!

PS: Congrats !!! on your new arrival.