Baby A measuring smaller-any similiar situations?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by krisgabes, Nov 28, 2011.

1. krisgabes

krisgabes Active Member

Hi all-
    So I am 25 weeks today and I just got back from an appt. It shows that baby A is measuring significantly lower than Baby B. Baby A is 1 lb 1 oz and Baby B is 1 lb 9 oz. They are trying to figure out why. As of now they have ruled out a bunch of reasons so they are going to keep a close eye on it. Has anyone else had this happen with a big gap in the weights of both babies? Any info would be helpful! I am freaking out, but trying to keep calm until they give me a reason to really freak. Thanks again!
    Kristen

2. praises1139

praises1139 Well-Known Member

i haven't, but i know others who have and they have gone on bedrest temporarily (lie on your left side), increased protein intake, until it resolved the issue. it's not guaranteed that doing that will help the smaller one catch up, but definitely worth a try.
    good luck!

3. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

We had the exact same thing. At my 26 week appointment, Baby A measured about 15% smaller than Baby B and the gap grew every time I was measured. When they were born, the gap was 25%. They were delivered at 36 weeks due to the size gap; the doctors thought that it would be safer for Baby A since she was growing very slowly. It turns out that her umbilical cord had implanted in the placental membrane rather than the actual placenta, so she was getting fewer nutrients than her sister.

When our doctors discovered the size difference, they recommended as much rest as possible and getting extra protein. I drank protein shakes daily and I think it helped (who knows, right?). Even though Baby A was so much smaller, she was perfectly healthy and had no problems. She caught up to her sister in size by about six months of age.

Try not to worry, especially since ultrasound measurements are not precise. It is VERY VERY VERY possible that your babies are much closer in size than they were measured at. A regular ultrasound machine has an error range of something like 15%, which means that Baby A might be 1 lb 4 oz and Baby B might be 1 lb 6 oz... and that's a lot closer than the numbers they were given.

4. krisgabes

krisgabes Active Member

Thank you so much! I feel better already. I guess at this point there is not much I can do anyways. What kind of protein shake did you get? I am going to get them also. I feel lost but trying to not let it bother me yet. Thanks again!!

5. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

My baby B always measured almost a lb behind his brother. They were never really concerned, but I was watched closely.

6. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Jessy had IUGR and a 2 vessel cord, this caused her to be a lot smaller than jazzy. At 25 weeks the difference was similar to yours and I was put on bed rest. The girls were delivered early due to this

7. Trishandthegirls

I loved Optimim Nutrition Gold Standard whey protein powder. You can buy it from Amazon or in health stores. It's so easy to throw a scoop of powder in with milk or water or whisk it up with ice in a blender. There are tons of flavors and all that I tried were good. My peri recommended against the premixed shakes like Boost and Ensure because they have added chemicals and vitamins, and if you're taking a multi you could get too much of some vitamins. Plus, the powder tastes better.

If it turns out that your baby has a membranous cord, the extra protein is really important. And it can't hurt either way!

8. krisgabes

krisgabes Active Member

I wonder if it is that she is actually smaller than baby B or if its that she is only 1 lb 1 oz at 25 weeks?? If it was the umbilical cord- wuldn't they have seen that on the ultrasound? Thanks for all the feedback! I am really trying not to freak, but I cant help it :( I wish they would remeasure next week, but they said they wont until 2 weeks. Next week they will check the fluid and movement.

9. krisgabes

krisgabes Active Member

WHat is IUGR and 2 vessel cord? Also how many weeks did you deliver at? Thanks!

10. Trishandthegirls

They don't measure every week because ultrasound measurements aren't precise enough to catch the size difference each week. So you might find that she's 1 lb 1 oz the first week, but only 1 lb the next week. And you'd freak out, but it would just be a measurement error, not that she's really shrinking.

If you're not already going to a perinatologist with advanced ultrasound capabilities, ask for a referral. Their equipment is more sensitive and you'll get better readings.

Also, IUGR is intrauterine growth restriction - sort of a catch all term for babies that grow slowly or are smaller than expected. Umbilical cords should have three vessels. A two vessel cord doesn't deliver the same amount of nutrients and can cause problems. They would have caught that on your ultrasound. They can't always catch intramembraneous insertion on ultrasounds because the picture isn't clear enough. There's nothing you do differently, though, if a baby is diagnosed with a membrane insertion.

No matter why a baby measures small, they do more monitoring and sometimes deliver early. But truly - don't freak out. Many many many people are told that there's a size difference one week only to have the babies measure just fine in two weeks.

11. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

IUGR is inter uterine growth restriction. Most umbilical cords are 3 pathways jessys only had 2. They were born at 34wks 1 day.

12. krisgabes

krisgabes Active Member

Thanks ladies!!!

13. camper44

camper44 Active Member

Hi,
    I'm 26 weeks with mono/di boys. My B has been smaller the entire time. At 11 weeks they thought ttts was beginning. At 23.4 weeks they were A-1.11 and B-1.5 and last week at the ultrasound the ultrasound tech said they are both 2lbs. I was kinda shocked because they have never been the same in any measurements. The tech said that all measurements can be off by a bit or up to 1/2lbs. at times. I try not to worry about it because it doesn't get you anywhere except a dash of crazy! It's out of our control and we just have to listen to our bodies, eat and rest. I would just make sure that the ultrasound tech. really checks the blood flow through the cords. Mine checks each 3 times every 2 weeks. Good luck and maybe we'll have our babies at the same time!

14. krisgabes

krisgabes Active Member

Thanks for the info. I guess at this point its more that she is small for this stage as opposed to being different than B? I'm hoping that the next measurement is completely different and they are both where they need to be. You're right worrying doesn't get us anywhere. It is hard not to though :( Thanks again and good luck :)