Baby dolls for little girls

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by NicoleLea, Jun 9, 2009.

1. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

I want to get my girls some baby dolls to see if they would like them. For those of you with little girls, did you/do you give them baby dolls? If so at what age? And do they play with them or not really?

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I got Anna a bitty baby for Christmas (I know they are supposed to be 3 years and up, but we watch them with it/control access). I just felt like a little girl needed a baby doll, and now we can get "add-ons" for Christmas for the next few years - clothes, bassinet, whatever, until she is old enough for a real American Girl doll. Anna does not seem to have any use for it. Jack will occasionally carry it around saying "baby baby". It's very cute.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I got my DD a Little Mommy doll. She does play with it (and so does her brother), the doll's name is Rhea and she will give her doll kisses and hugs and then will drag her doll around by one arm. I say go for it!

4. butterfly02

butterfly02 Well-Known Member

I bought my daughter a doll for her first Christmas, that one is still in the box for when she gets older.

She does however have many "babies" and she plays with them everyday, she carries them around, lately she has started feeding them, she is putting hats on them, it is just so darn cute!! She has been playing with them for a long time now, but getting more creative at 20 months :)

I say go for it, have fun!!!

5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Does Batman and Green Lantern count?

Alice would rather play with her animals, blocks, and boy dolls (action figures) rather than a baby doll.

6. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

7. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

We have the Fisher Price twin baby dolls too. (I totally thought they were a boy and a girl!) Neither DD or DS is very attached to them, but they do pretend play with them sometimes. They will feed them a bottle or sippy cup, use their play food to feed them, brush their "hair," put their shoes on them, etc. I think doing that kind of pretend play is good developmentally for them as the developmental therapist from Early Intervention has a doll that she uses during DS's therapy sessions.

8. ejradcliffe

ejradcliffe Well-Known Member

My older DD got baby dolls as gifts from her first Christmas on and never paid attention to them until she was at least 3. Now my younger DD loves baby dolls! I don't know if it's from watching her big sister? She is very attentive, tries to dress them, feed them, wrap them in blankets, push them in the stroller... it's very cute! She's been doing this since she was 1. I think it depends on the child, but giving any child (boy or girl) a doll is a great gift!

9. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls received 3 or 4 baby dolls each for Christmas last year. They don't really play with them. Every now and then they'll put a baby in their little baby stroller and push it around, but most of the time they put their lovies in their stroller.

The only plus I can think of about the baby dolls was for teaching the girls about body parts. I'd point to the baby's eyes, ears, nose, etc and used it to teach the girls what the names of the body parts are. Or I ask "where is baby's ____" and they'll show me on the doll.