baby food making reflux worse?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Jul 26, 2012.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

my 5 mo has a milk/protein/soy intolerance and is on thickened (w/rice) alimentum.
    we started solids this week and started with bananas which she seemed to love - ate a LOT and also had some sweet potatoes but that seemed to exacerbate her reflux?
    could this be?

are there foods i should avoid due to her reflux?
    she's on .8mL of zantac, 3x a day and is 5 months old.

2. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We didn't start solids until 6 months for this very reason. We tried at 4 months and again at 5 months and it made the reflux and others issues WAY worse. Sweet potatoes were especially a problem for us and my kids couldn't eat them until they were a year old.

My kids were also milk/soy intolerant - I suggest carefully reading all the labels on the baby food. Stuff that you would think doesn't have soy or milk in it, even baby sweet potatoes, can have stuff in there. If sweet potatoes are a problem, just don't do them for now. My kids did very well with bananas, carrots, apples, etc. and I would make those things myself a lot.

3. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

she did fine with the bananas. i am shocked at the sweet potatoes. they didn't seem acidic?? :unknw:

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I don't think they're acidic - but they gave my kids terrible gas and stomach pain for whatever reason.